So Kenra *Can* Serve as a "DC"

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
The first time I tried to use Kenra beyond instant conditioning, I didn't like it. I didn't get any slip, which I really need and prefer. But that was years ago and knowing what I know now about build up, I have since tried it again for extended conditioning and it worked nicely.

Not only that, but on the Kenra website, they now give regular usage instructions along with "DC" instructions.

I've also recently discovered that Kenra MC is a great leave-in as well.

Who "DCs" with Kenra? What's your method?

(I put DC in quotes, because what is commonly referred to as a DC on this board is not technically a DC)

I use it as DC...I leave it on up to an hour (majority of the time with heat), I find it works better for me as a DC versus an instant condish...

I do, I love it. :yep: I shampoo, towel-dry as much as possible and then apply the Kenra on heavy. It works best for me under the hooded dryer for 20-30 minutes. My hair has tons of slip and feels incredibly soft afterwards.

I haven't used Kenra as a DC, but I'm sure it would work really well. It works great for me as an instant conditioner.

I'm sure if you added an oil to your hair while the Kenra was in it, it could serve as an even better DC.

Supergirl, I'm curious to know the technical definition of a "DC". Would you mind sharing?

Last edited:
Supergirl, I'm curious to know the technical definition of a "DC". Would you mind sharing?

Sure! One of my better stylists explained to me that deep conditioning does not mean just taking any conditioner and slapping it on with a plastic cap and sitting under a dryer. A deep conditioner involves a protein conditioner and heat, because heat allows the protein molecules to be broken down into components that can penetrate "deep" into the hair. These protein molecules have an affinity for hair since hair is protein. Other conditioners do not behave this way in the presence of heat. That is not to say that there is no benefit to leaving them on longer or using heat with them. HTH

Sure! One of my better stylists explained to me that deep conditioning does not mean just taking any conditioner and slapping it on with a plastic cap and sitting under a dryer. A deep conditioner involves a protein conditioner and heat, because heat allows the protein molecules to be broken down into components that can penetrate "deep" into the hair. These protein molecules have an affinity for hair since hair is protein. Other conditioners do not behave this way in the presence of heat. That is not to say that there is no benefit to leaving them on longer or using heat with them. HTH

That makes sense to me. I think all conditioners have some benefits, but if they can't penetrate then they're not DC's. But if the definition is specific to protein molecules then I guess there are far fewer than I thought.

I like to mix Kenra with Nexxus Humectress for a DC. That way, I get double the moisture, and a lot of slip from the Humectress. Sometimes I also add my "base" that I add to almost all DCs: Coconut milk, raw honey, and a little EV olive oil. Moisture heaven.

I use Kenra as my moisturizing DC. I use it straight with no add ins as I found that it works best for me this way. I do at least 20 mins under the dryer and then I leave it on without heat for a little longer. I actually get great slip from Kenra... it's definately one of my staples!!!

Oh and yes, it costs too much to use as a instant conditioner!

my hair HATED kenra conditioner. it was like nothing but petro jelly. the only time it worked for me was when i added a ton of honey and coconut oil and used it as a pre poo. other than that my hair hated it. in fact my hair didnt like the kenra line at all except for the clarifying shampoo.

my hair HATED kenra conditioner. it was like nothing but petro jelly. the only time it worked for me was when i added a ton of honey and coconut oil and used it as a pre poo. other than that my hair hated it. in fact my hair didnt like the kenra line at all except for the clarifying shampoo.

What specificallry did you experience that made it bad for you?

Back