So it's Definitely Breakage ?

doll-baby

Hey Ladies ...

My hair is breaking and I don't know why. I'm thinking that it is breakage because I very seldom see a white bulb on the end of the hairs in my comb.

I thought that I was doing all of the right things for my hair, wash and deep condition (with protein conditioner followed by moisturizing conditioner) once a week, moisturize and seal every day, no heat, and protective styling.

I just recently stopped wearing sew ins (3 weeks ago) before that I wore sew ins as my main hair style for about 8 years (putting in a new install every 2 weeks ). Is this breakage a result of that ? I thought my hair was relatively healthy until just recently. :ohwell:

p.s. I'm relaxed

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I don't want to go back to the weave but I'm getting pretty discouraged.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're doing everything right to me. Are you handling your hair rough? It could be the sew in's too. I know I had breakage with weave because I was allergic to the hair. :ohwell:

I know I'm heavy handed but I try to be gentle when combing my hair. I use wide tooth combs and start from the ends up.

WOW ! Doll Baby--Sorry this is happening to you.:nono:

I've Never Worn a Weave or Sew-In, but from what I've read in the Threads, Breakage is sometime a Common Problem once they're taken out.:perplexed

I would suggest, to just keep taking good care of your hair with the regimen you've implemented. (It sounds like a really good one).

Check your products, and perhaps cutting down on the use of 'Poo, if you are using it on a regular basis and maybe co-wash a little more. I know I cut out weekly 'Poo and Only Use it to Clarify and now I Co-Wash and My Hair has improved.:grin:

Start Tracking and Monitoring what you're using and how your hair reacts to it.

You didn't list your products. Maybe we could also help, but critque-ing those.:yep:

Don't Get Discouraged. I am sure it's not as bad as you think. Let the Sew-In Rest for awhile.

Thank you IDareT'sHair,

My products are :

Shampoo:
Ors creamy aloe

Conditioners:
Apoghee 2 min Keritain reconstructor
Apohgee balancing moisturizing conditioner
Yes to carrots mud condish
porosity control
vo5 moisture milk

Leave ins
Herbal essence LTR
Neutragena silk touch

Oils
Coconut

Butters
Shea butter

Your hair may need a heavy protein treatment like the Aphogee 2 step or Nexxus Emergencee. Also the Aphogee balancing moisturizer is not a good moisturizer especially after using the 2 step.

You should see your breakage subside drastically after using one of those but be sure to deep condition right after.

i had the exact same problem, and i've never worn weaves. I wrote a couple of threads about it. it seemed like as soon as i actually started taking care of my hair, it started breaking like crazy. to the point that i couldn't even run my hand through my hair without a handfull of hair. i'd started co-washing, using protein treatments, and moisturizing my ends nightly. even when i tried wearing it in buns, the pony tail holder would have multiple strands of hair in it. i decided to just go back to my previous routine, and the breakage stopped. i'm still "recovering" from that, and had to cut a large chunk of my ends that ended up damaged. i hope you find a solution to your problem though. i think for me, it was too much protein, especially since i have fine hair.

Doll Baby: From My Understanding, ORS Creamy Aloe, is more like a Clarifying Shampoo so it can be a little Drying & Stripping. So, if you feel like you want to continue to use 'Poo, try something more Moisturizing.:yep:

Also, if you're not, you could start Deep Conditioning as well. For Me, DC Treatments have worked wonders. And finding a Healthy Balance of Protein & Moisture for My Hair.

If you decide to use something like the Apoghee 2 Step or Nexxus Emergencee, Make sure you follow up with Moisture.:yep:

I'm not at all familiar with Apoghee Products or YTC or the Leave-Ins you've listed.:perplexed

Whenever you use Protein Always Follow Up with a Moisturizing Conditioner.

Trust Me, I know How Traumatic and Frustrating Breakage and Hair Loss Can Be.

Stay Encouraged. Keep Us Posted on Your Progress.

Yes it could be the sew ins but lets look at your routine first.

ORS creamy aloe is a little drying for some people like the previous poster mentioned. Also, are you aware that Herbal essences LTR leave in has protein in it. So the problem could be a shampoo that is too drying followed by, conditoner with protein, followed by a leave in with protein.

I agree with MontegoBayBaby about the protein and Aphogee balancing moisturizer is not very good at all unlike the 2 min recon which is brilliant, so perhaps source a really good moisturising conditioner.

My hair thrived when I virtually cut out the shampoo (I use an shampoo bar occasionally), kept up with a reasonable amount of protein with Aphogee 2 min and began using Ayurvedic teas.

Oh and sometimes there may just be a product which your hair just doesn't like which may be responsible for breakage even if it seems like everyone raves about it. For example my hair absolutely hates shea butter - which is a shame and I was really disappointed but guess that's the way it goes.

Good luck with sorting out the breakage anyway :)

Awww ((((hugs)))). I agree with the ladies on ORS aloe shampoo and the balancing moisturizer. There are better moisturizers out there. If you have a Sally's around you, look into their Generic Value Products especially the conditioning balm, it's worked wonders for me. Also, you might want to cut down on the protein usage and focus more on moisture.

Also check Supergirl's thread on breakge. Let me find it for you. You'll be fine Doll Baby

Back