So... I'm going to go natural.

v2.0

But I need help. Well, recommendations.

I currently have a very short, relaxed cut. I would like to be natural by the end of the year. I've been considering getting my hair braided in not-too-small micros, but people have been recommending that I don't do that, citing potential breakage breakage and other potential damage.

What methods would you recommend to help grow my hair out? FYI: My head is three times too big to shave anything off. :lachen::nono:

I currently have a very short, relaxed cut. I would like to be natural by the end of the year. I've been considering getting my hair braided in not-too-small micros, but people have been recommending that I don't do that, citing potential breakage breakage and other potential damage.

What methods would you recommend to help grow my hair out? FYI: My head is three times too big to shave anything off. :lachen::nono:

You can try whole wigs, half wigs,french braids( if long enough)or kinky twist. If you do decide to get braids i would say get them pencil size. HTH

I started out with short relaxed style too. I did roller sets for several months until I could pin my hair back. I didn't do braids or falls. If you choose braids try the Crown and Glory method. As long as your hair is moisturized you should be fine. Good luck with your natural journey!

If you choose braids try the Crown and Glory method. As long as your hair is moisturized you should be fine. Good luck with your natural journey!

ITA! I would suggest wigs, but if you must do braids, do crown and glory method or you might end up patchy bald :nono:

If your hair is already short this transition *should* be easy peasy. I would not do micro's but regular sized braids or yes even wigs. Keep your hair moisturized to the fullest capacity and take it from there.

I'd go the wig route that way it will be easier to keep your own hair moisturized.

If you are going to do braids or twists with extensions, keep them shoulder length or shorter so you have less weight pulling on your own hair.

:grin:

I got cornrows for a while when I was transitioning, so maybe cornrows and individual braids are a good route to go. How long do you want your natural hair to be when you BC?

You can still do braids but not the tiny ones like micros.

Leave your baby hair or edges out, i think thats why braids can be so bad because ppl are busy worrying about braiding their edges up:lachen:

You can still do braids but not the tiny ones like micros.

Leave your baby hair or edges out, i think thats why braids can be so bad because ppl are busy worrying about braiding their edges up:lachen:

Exactly
I started doing my own hair and I leave a lot of the hair around my edges (especially the already stressed areas) out. They may not look freshly done and I have to redo them more frequently, but my edges are making a come back!

:grin:

I got cornrows for a while when I was transitioning, so maybe cornrows and individual braids are a good route to go. How long do you want your natural hair to be when you BC?

I'm cool with a TWA, but it can't be too teenie.

I remember hearing that braids weren't good for transitioning for those same reasons.

I transitioned by keeping my newgrowth flat ironed, but that might be hard with a short cut. I honestly don't know. Hopefully some more people will chime in.

At any rate, congrats on your decision!:grin::grin::grin:

I used braidouts and straw curls to camouflage the two textures. Then I gradually cut off the relaxed hair over many months, until I finally did the "big chop" and cut the last of it off.

I'd go the wig route that way it will be easier to keep your own hair moisturized.

If you are going to do braids or twists with extensions, keep them shoulder length or shorter so you have less weight pulling on your own hair.

I agree on both counts.

Half-wigs are great. Or you could do curly styles like rod sets and whatnot as your hair grows out.

I wore a weave with my real hair cornrowed underneath for a few months. Of course, a wig would be a lot cheaper!

I transitioned in micros and didn't have any problem with my edges or breakage. But they are difficult to remove if you don't have help. Individual braids are a good option...long lasting and great protection for your hair.

I transitioned in micros and didn't have any problem with my edges or breakage. But they are difficult to remove if you don't have help. Individual braids are a good option...long lasting and great protection for your hair.

ITA. I've worn micros and never had a problem with breakage. I guess I'm one of few. :ohwell: My regimen was similar to Crown and Glory even before I even heard of C&G.:look: If you decide to do ANY type of braids, make sure the braider doesn't braid too tight. That can cause breakage. I agree that the C&G method is excellent for growing your hair out.

Good luck!

Box braids. Do a protein and moisture dc after you take them out. I took mine out by mixing some cheap conditioner in a spray bottle and saturating the braid. Use your fingers first to get out any knots or matted sections, then a comb. You def want to get them out first esp because of he demarcation line. Do a small trim each time to gradually get rid of the relaxer. Give your hair a break in between (at least 2 weeks) by wearing buns and using ORS twist n loc gel to smooth the edges down. HTH Q

Can a sista get a brief synopsis of the C&G method?

I can't remember it all. I know she does a pre-treat of the hair in a sink of water and acv. She advises using infusium on your hair to moisturize and the take down is similar to what I've posted. Q

I transitioned with braids...stayed away from the heat

BC'ed after 16 weeks...

Pretty much wore my own hair in protective styles after that.

The only thing I could recommend is getting cornrows w/ added hair. When I did my 2nd BC, I got micros for a few weeks and then after taking those down I got cornrows w/ added hair long enough to twist the ends into a pretty bun. I think that would work great, and you could get them redone every couple/few weeks or so.

Welcome to the transitioning club :-)

I'm not a fan of braids or weaves (both cos of hairline issues and cos I prefer having my hair out all the time) or wigs but I would suggest wigs if you think your hair's too short to do curly transitions styles and simple updos (which is how I'm transitioning). Do you think you can do any of the styles in here: http://public.fotki.com/MummysGirl/transition-to-natural/hairdos-while-trans/ ?

Check out the transitioner's support thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=312457

Good luck :-)

Back