So I'm getting a rollerset right now

pinkchocolatedaisy

and the girl is saying how hard it is to do because "your hair is so curly" and that my curls won't be tight because of it. I explained to her that I just want to stretch my hair so I can flat iron it when I get home. I think she understood.I'm at a beauty college getting it done. I brought my own products (silicon mix & PM super skinny serum) and I came in with my hair washed from the nite before w my dc (Joico moisture recovery) still in it. I think she did an ok job but I think she shouldve made my hair wetter...if that makes sense. But I suck at rollwr sets so what do I know? LOL. My hair is taking forever to dry under the dryer & while my haie did get stretched out its still a little crinkly. I think she shouldve combed thru my ends? Idk...its super cheap here so I'm not too peeved but this gives me tips on how to be a good DIY the next time. I think she used the mohwak method on me.Anyway I wanted to know what you all thought of her "advice". She said I could "train" my hair to get flat ironed easily by coming in every 2 weeks and getting a wash, deep condition and blow dry & flat iron. She said that way I could egt my hair straight w/o the use of chemicals & that I could go back to wearing my curls but they would be smoother as a result. What do u think of that?

If you don't want your curls to return after washing it....ever then you could do that...it would also mean damage though.

I'm under the drier with a rollerset as well! I go to an older lady who does hair in her home and only chanrges $20 (it use to be $15) and rollerset like you wouldn't belive. I too tried beauty schools n the past but didn't like the results to much. I came with my Aubrey organics cond already on and bring my leave ins. I sit under her salon quality hairdryer too( it is old but gets hotte than Hattie).

I'm not sure about her method of getting your curls looser. I'm a relaxed head. I just wanted to giv you the tip of asking a few older women who wear sets wear do they go. A lot of my relatives have been coming to my lady for years. Asking might lead you to someone with a lot more experience along with a cheap price for services.

Thanks ladies... I'm def not interested in losing my curls at all! I wanted a change-thats all. It was only 8.50 for the set. I don't know of many places where I live that understand natural hair. It seems like its so much harder to everyone I encounter. Even my friend wh o attempted to flat iron my hair before suggested I get a relaxer to "make it easier". If I don't look like a scarecrow I will post pics later.

"Trained" doesn't have to mean damaged. As with ANY style, your hair becomes better accustomed to it, the more that you do it. I don't see why heat styling is any different. As long as your hair retains it's strength and elasticity, and the stylist uses the proper temperature settings, techniques, and products, you hair can easily be straightened and go back to being curly/kinky.

I'm not natural, but I'm basing my opinion on naturals who straighten often and what they have shared. Also, my mom used to press my natural hair quite often, and it always went back to being curly/coily/kinky. I don't understand where this heat trained = damaged idea came from.

"Trained" doesn't have to mean damaged. As with ANY style, your hair becomes better accustomed to it, the more that you do it. I don't see why heat styling is any different. As long as your hair retains it's strength and elasticity, and the stylist uses the proper temperature settings, techniques, and products, you hair can easily be straightened and go back to being curly/kinky.

I'm not natural, but I'm basing my opinion on naturals who straighten often and what they have shared. Also, my mom used to press my natural hair quite often, and it always went back to being curly/coily/kinky. I don't understand where this heat trained = damaged idea came from.
i agree with this entire post. :yep:
"trained" does not = "damaged."

i used to wear my natural hair (around BSLish as a kid) pressed exclusively, and it was "trained" in the sense that it was easy to straighten and very healthy and my naps came back with a vengeance every time it was shampooed.
it was only when i took matters into my own hands in high school and flatironed EVERY DAY with no conditioning that i had reversion problems. that was clearly damage, but again, two completely different scenarios.

okay, i'm gonna stop rambling now.

i wanna see that rollerset!!:grin:

I disagree and stand by heat trained hair means heat damaged hair. You will be breaking down the kinks in your hair. Some like it, others don't. Damaged doesn't have to mean fried and falling off your head. If your kinks don't revert there is damage in my opinion. So if she "trains" your hair by flatironing every two weeks what she is basically doing is loosening your texture. If that is what you want, go for it. For some ladies this works perfectly for their needs. Just call a spade a spade.

Back