So I was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis...

lilyofthenile

The title says it all. I'm upset but not surprised. For years I have struggled with my scalp. It was only when I found several bald patches in my nape area that I noticed that something was very very wrong and I wanted to regrow my hair. My doc gave me Nizoral with 2% antifungal. I have been told to use it twice a week and a friend suggested I abandon all products and stick to water, glycerine and butters.

Yes I can use the search function but I was wondering if anyone has any specific tips or advice or a really good thread about this?

This is really affecting my confidence, I can't do any hairstyle without it looking strange b/c my nape area and back of my head is so thin relative to the top. But I have to admit it has got better than before. I'm retaining more length but have noticeable thinning areas.

I was wondering if people could offer some advice. Thank you so much. :look:

Kumako, sulfur and coconut oil are both known to have very strong anti-fungal properties. If you don't have any allergy/ sensitivity issues with either of them, you might want to look into scalp products that contain those ingredients, or making your own mix if you are so inclined.

Maybe you can wear wigs while your hair gets to filling back in?

Yes it seems like a really good option, thanks ^^.

Kumako, sulfur and coconut oil are both known to have very strong anti-fungal properties. If you don't have any allergy/ sensitivity issues with either of them, you might want to look into scalp products that contain those ingredients, or making your own mix if you are so inclined.

Thanks for the sulfur tip, I'll look into it, I don't have any issues with sulfur.

Neem Oil!! I have seborrheic dermatitis as well, and now my scalp barely itches anymore! It stinks to high heaven, but it gets the job done...and you can't smell it anymore after you wash and condition your hair.

When I was still shampooing, I put about 3tbs of neem oil in my clarifying shampoo, which worked well. I also put the same ammount in my MT Mix that I DC overnight with 1x a week. I had to add a perfume oil to the mix, because the neem was actually keeping me up at night (it smells). You could rub it on your scalp, and let it sit as a prepoo as well. My scalp is a million times healthier, and I'm not having the issues that cause the bald patches anymore.

Another way is to use neem powder, which works just as well, and doesn't stink.

My Derma Dr prescribed Olux foam for the scalp. (They have a generic now, that does not cost a lot w/ins) It doesn't mess up or weight down the hair. I also took some antibitoics one time when it really got bad as well.

I have not been diagnosed with it but I suspect it. Seems like I noticed it occurring after being natural for two years and then relaxing. However, I am not saying that caused it. I have since gone back natural and my scalp really is not the same though my hair thrives. I have really had to baby my edges as I have has dry patches, scales and later hair loss in these areas ( all have come back with sulfur oil mixtures and patience). As far as the dry patches, itchiness and scaliness what has worked good for me Seabreeze ( sold at Sally's) it has worked really good for me and the alcohol denat does not bother my hail as there are oills in it to counteract dryness. I have been very pleased. It definitely alleviated the scaling. I have even used it on my dog who I suspect have an allergic reaction that causes him to itch. He does not have fleas but I noticed where he scratched and dab it on those areas every couple of days. I have not seen or heard him scratch. It has numerous uses skin, scalp, and nails. It worked well for me and cost only like 4- 5 dollars. They actually have the big one on sale for like 9 and the 4-5 dollar bottle for free when you get them both from Sally's this month. HTH

KumakoXsd - If you don't have objections to steroid treatment, I've been successfully treated with an annual shot of triamcinolone. My worst outbreak was 4 years ago and was so bad that my hair was ear-length with small patches missing and my scalp was always irritated from alot of scratching. I made an appt with a prominent AA dermatologist and he gave an injection and a desoximetasone ointment for my scalp and face. I noticed an improvement within 3 weeks. Now, I go back once a year since SD can't be cured but I'm not affected by it on a daily basis. I've only started trying to "grow" my hair within the past year and it's almost APL now.

YMMV, but I hope you find the right treatment for you! Btw, I also started co-washing more and using SLS-free shampoos to reduce shedding.

i was diagnosed about 3-4 yrs ago, cause of a bad relaxer burns, i had thinning edges & in the nape area, i was going to a AA dr he was writing all kinds of perscriptions(ointments & shampoos), i was getting them filled but was too afraid to use them since i don't like using drugs.

some of the ointments you had to be really careful with cause they could thin the skin on your scalp, i was seeing my dermo about once a month but like i said i wasn't using the creams & shampoos, so i just decided to stop wasting his time & my money and just stopped going.

but what i started doing was simple & cheap, i just started washing every 4 days, if i don't my scalp will start to itch kinda bad & smell, like mrsjaidiva said hers did. i might can get away with 5 days but no more than that, i don't use any kind of special shampoo just my usual WEN.

i think the key thing to do is just keep the scalp clean, of course mine wasn't that bad i just had a few large grayish flakes around my edges & i would itch in my crown area (but no dandruff of flakes there).

but keeping my scalp clean helped me, as far as the thinning edges & nape area it's coming along not as full as it use to be, but i think my age & stress is also playing a big part in that also.

Seborrheic dermatitis is a hereditary scalp condition. It is not caused by relaxers.

A few people in my family has that. But one of my sisters has it VERY bad. She is totally bald now. She has to wear wigs. It's sad because she was always in love with hair, even when she had some. Her hair loss happened gradually, so it wasn't a shock to her.

OP, stay on top of that because it can get bad. Don't use all of these potions on this board. Use the medicine that the doctor give you. They didn't have these new medications when my sister was diagnosed, but my brother has it too and the medicine works for him. You can't even tell that my brother has it cause the medicine works.

Genetic, environmental, hormonal, and immune-system factors have been shown to be involved in the manifestation of seborrhoeic dermatitis.[8][9]

Seborrhoeic dermatitis may be aggravated by illness, psychological stress, fatigue, sleep deprivation, change of season and reduced general health.[10]

In children, excessive vitamin A intake can cause seborrhoeic dermatitis.[11] Lack of biotin,[10] pyridoxine (vitamin B6)[10][12] and riboflavin (vitamin B2)[10] may also be a cause.

Those with immunodeficiency (especially infection with HIV) and with neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease (for which the condition is an autonomic sign) and stroke are particularly prone to it.[13]

Proper scalp hygiene is primary in treating seborrheic dermatitis. Dermatologists recommend topical treatments such as shampoos, cleansers or creams/lotions that contain antifungal, anti-inflammatory, sebo-suppressive or keratolytic ingredients:

One combination approach combines a dandruff shampoo, antifungal agent and topical steroid. If a class III steroid is unsuccessful, short-term "pulse fashion" use of a more potent topical steroid in combination with a dandruff shampoo and antifungal agent may put some resistant patients into remission and actually decrease total steroid exposure.

Therapeutic choices include a nonfluorinated class III steroid such as mometasone furoate (Elocon) or an extra-potent class I or class II topical steroid such as clobetasol propionate (Temovate) or fluocinonide (Lidex). The more potent agents may be applied once or twice per day, even on the face, but must be stopped after two weeks because of the increased frequency of side effects. If the patient responds before the two-week limit, the agent should be stopped immediately.

Some prescription creams such as topical cortisone may be effective in minimizing inflammation and itchiness

It is unclear if seborrheic dermatitis causes permanent hair loss, although the inflammation involves the hair follicles.

[19] Hair loss can result from many factors individually and combined, including excess oil production from hormonal imbalance, stress, extreme hot or cold weather, weakened immune system, Parkinson's disease, certain neurological conditions and poor scalp hygiene.

I had it from allergic reaction to indigo and was prescribe that it by first dr didn't help so i went to see black derm she gave me fluocinonide .05% it went away. I reduce uisng shampoo and cowash more. The medicated shampoo the first dr prescribe took my hair out. Hope you get better

Seborrheic dermatitis is a hereditary scalp condition. It is not caused by relaxers.

A few people in my family has that. But one of my sisters has it VERY bad. She is totally bald now. She has to wear wigs. It's sad because she was always in love with hair, even when she had some. Her hair loss happened gradually, so it wasn't a shock to her.

OP, stay on top of that because it can get bad. Don't use all of these potions on this board. Use the medicine that the doctor give you. They didn't have these new medications when my sister was diagnosed, but my brother has it too and the medicine works for him. You can't even tell that my brother has it cause the medicine works.

the reason i said it was the relaxer, is because i wasn't having any kind of problems or hair loss before that i had a head of thick hair (that's when i decided to go natural because of the chemicals & my SD has been under control every since), my burns was so bad that it was too sore to wash my hair for about 2wks

she also had loaded my scalp with grease( a new stylist) which that's something i never used, that on top of burns & i wasn't able to wash for a few wks, that's a recipe for fungus on top of fungus, & i didn't think to put any kind of antibiotic ointments on it.

so after i was finally able to wash, that's when it started to get bad & i started to have problems & from the info my dermo gave me, & from what i've read of the internet, SD is also a yeast or fungus problem, also kinda what seamonster said about fungus.

i'm not telling her not to use her drugs that's up to her, I just don't like using drugs, she asked for tips so i was just putting my 2 cents worth in, it may or may not be good advice but it's worth a try. :grin:

The title says it all. I'm upset but not surprised. For years I have struggled with my scalp. It was only when I found several bald patches in my nape area that I noticed that something was very very wrong and I wanted to regrow my hair. My doc gave me Nizoral with 2% antifungal. I have been told to use it twice a week and a friend suggested I abandon all products and stick to water, glycerine and butters.

Yes I can use the search function but I was wondering if anyone has any specific tips or advice or a really good thread about this?

This is really affecting my confidence, I can't do any hairstyle without it looking strange b/c my nape area and back of my head is so thin relative to the top. But I have to admit it has got better than before. I'm retaining more length but have noticeable thinning areas.

I was wondering if people could offer some advice. Thank you so much. :look:

The anti fungal is for your scalp and the butters and glycerin is for your hair.

Ask your doctor about Dermasmoothe too. It's a peanut oil based topical that you put on wet hair. Works great to get rid of any flakes.

Back