So I tried the Aveda... (sorta long...reviews included)

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Last week, I had the misfortune of trying out the MaxiGlide. I believe that those pins really damaged my hair because I've had lots of breakage ever since I used it. Luckily, I was able to return it that very next day to Bed, Bath, & Beyond. I gave myself a 1" trim the other day (after saying that I wouldn't trim for another 3 months) to sorta help the breakage I had gotten from the Maxi-glide, but I needed something else to help with the breakage, so Aveda's Damage Remedy came to mind...

This morning I went to buy the Aveda Damage Remedy set. When the store manager finally arrived over an hour after the mall opened (she was having car troubles), I was excited to finally get to the Damage Remedy section. I asked her if they carried samples of the DR and she said that they didn't, BUT she had one sample left of the Damage Remedy Treatment (0.5oz). I'm so grateful that she gave me that because that saved me from paying $26 for the treatment just in case I didn't like it. At Aveda, I ended up purchasing the Aveda Damage Remedy Shampoo, DR Conditioner, Elixir Leave-on, and the Brilliant Humectant Pomade. As a college student, I was hoping and praying that these products would be well worth the $81.94 that I shelled out for it.

So by now you're wanting me to hurry up and get to the review, right? Ok, ok, ok.....

Aveda Damage Remedy Shampoo- Wow, this shampoo actually left my hair feeling moisturized. It didn't really offer any slip, but the moisture was definitely there. I really like it.

Aveda Damage Remedy Treatment- When I started to rub this through my hair, it felt so smooth and allowed my fingers to somewhat glide through my hair. I let it sit for about 10-15 minutes before I rinsed. After I rinsed, the moisture was there, but there wasn't too much slip.

Aveda Damage Remedy Conditoner- Okay, I applied this stuff after I used the DR Treatment. I let it sit for about 5 minutes and then rinsed it out. The moisture was still there and I had a teeny bit of slip.

Elixir Leave-on Conditioner- I really like the texture of this when rubbing it between my fingers. After I rubbed it into my hair, I can't really describe how it made my hair feel. It didn't make it feel extra soft/mushy like the Rusk, but it didn't make it feel hard. I think I may have applied too much because it's sorta thin and it oozed kinda fast out of the bottle. This stuff does detangle okay, I guess.

Next, I applied my Elucence Volumizing Foam and rollerset my hair. I sat under the dryer for almost 1 hour.

When I took down my rollers, my hair was sooooooooooo soft. Like I said, after applying the leave-in and everything, I couldn't really describe the feel of my hair, but now it feels amazingly soft. I wrapped my hair and applied a dab of Oyin's Whipped Pudding to the wrapped hair.

I still noticed a few broken hairs while combing, but I wasn't expecting it to stop the breakage right in it's tracks. I will continue to use this in hopes that it gets my hair into shape. I try to wash my hair twice a week, so rotating with the Aveda DR (for strength) and Elucence (for moisture) should be a great combo for my hair. I may not use the Treatment every week though, maybe every other week, even though I will use the shampoo & conditoner every week...or maybe I could mix the conditoner and treatment...who knows.

Overall, I loved the results, and I just hope that overtime, this helps my hair.

ETA: To me, these products smell a lot like the Flintstone's chewable vitamins that my mom used to give me when I was little.

Last edited:
Glad you like them! I want to try them out too.

Yeah, I never use the maxiglide with the pins. My hair would be snapping left and right.

Hope your hair gets better. :)

Thanks for the review! You always give the most thorough reviews. I can't afford any of this stuff right now, but someday, hopefully.

TSU I hate you lost some hair. I read that if you squeeze to hard you loose hair in the Maxiglide. (when using the teeth) So, i didnt squeeze mine and I had no problems. BUT, it's always better safe than sorry. So now you have to try out that Chi or Sedu. lol I am curious about those. But I love my maxiglide to much to buy either. It seems kinda wasteful since I have a good iron.

(Oh, you can always change out the teeth on the Maxiglide to the smooth plate. I havent tried mine with the smooth plate yet but I know alot of ladies here said they use it without the teeth. Just sorry you didnt have good luck with it. Thanks goodness for stores with good return polices also.)

Aveda....Girl, dont make me go broke! lol

I am sending you a P.M. I was wishing I had your phone number number today. lol.

Glad you liked it. Aveda DR gives me INTENSE moisture and softness but Iagree with you on the slip. It doesn't help me as much as I want it to. But the moisture/softness/benefits outweight that to me. I add humecto to it sometimes to help with the slip which is really good.

Sorry about the maxiglide. That comb thingy scares me too. But maybe you should try combing through every peice that you flat iron with a small comb before you flat iron.

Letitia said:
TSU I hate you lost some hair. I read that if you squeeze to hard you loose hair in the Maxiglide. (when using the teeth) So, i didnt squeeze mine and I had no problems. BUT, it's always better safe than sorry. So now you have to try out that Chi or Sedu. lol I am curious about those. But I love my maxiglide to much to buy either. It seems kinda wasteful since I have a good iron.

(Oh, you can always change out the teeth on the Maxiglide to the smooth plate. I havent tried mine with the smooth plate yet but I know alot of ladies here said they use it without the teeth. Just sorry you didnt have good luck with it. Thanks goodness for stores with good return polices also.)

Aveda....Girl, dont make me go broke! lol

I am sending you a P.M. I was wishing I had your phone number number today lol

LOL, I was wishing the same thing when I was in Sephora today testing out that Cosmedicine stuff that you were curious about.

I did try not to squeeze too hard with the Maxi-glide, but it still pulled my hair. My damaged strands just can't handle that, I guess. The Maxi-Glide is for people with strong hair like yours. I did however find another flat-iron that I do like. It's a new flat-iron by ION that I got from Sally's. It's a navy blue 1.5" digital flat iron. I really like it.

Last edited:
I'm really liking the Aveda Elixir. I think it's now up on my list with the Rusk Sensories Smoother. The first time I used the Aveda Elixir, it made my hair feel weird after applying it to my wet hair (even though the results were great). That time, I know I used too much because today I washed again with my Elucence and applied maybe a nickel sized amount of the Elixir. My hair didn't have that weird feeling at all. I rollerset my hair again and dried under the dryer for about 1 hour. Man, my hair was so "airy" and soft when I took out those rollers. My hair felt so weightless. I think this is due to the lower level of silicones in it. The Rusk has a silicone as the 2nd ingredient while the Elixir has a silicone much much further down the list. I love this stuff now.

As far as the Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade, this does help at taming down the frizzies. It's not too heavy so I didn't think it made my hair too greasy when putting my hair in the bun. I still had a couple flyaways , but that's okay. I was hesitant to get the Anti-Humectant because I didn't want anything to "block out" moisture from my hair when my hair is in desperate need of it, so I opted for the Humecant instead. The Aveda Humectant is what I need for a light, pomade-y, non-greasy, shine producing, moisture allowing, hold. The smell is odd, but I actually like it.

As with all products, avoid using too much.

Last edited:
What a nice review, I think you should mix a little treatment w/the DC also that may help strengthen it up a little quicker, not too much but maybe just what you need, let us know how it goes.
I also don't use my Maxiglide w/the pins, I use the flat plate when I do whip it out.

Back