So....I told my stylist I was thinking about going natural

shortfynesse

My stylist always gets after me for waiting so long in between relaxers. I have doing this for years before I found this site mainly because I was being cheap. :lachen:

I don't find my new growth to be hard to manage but honestly I have never seen my natural hair. I have been getting relaxers for as long as I can remember.

Getting to the point....I told my stylist that I was thinking about squasing the perm thing and going natural and this was her response........

"BUUAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

:( :confused: :lachen: :lachen:

I will have to post pics soon but I think I have something like 3b/c and I was told recently that I honestly might not need to be relaxed. All of my relaxers come out bone straight which in my opinion contributes to my really thin hair.

If indeed I decide to transition, is there a certain technique I should use? I tried to do a search but the page would not come up for me.

shortfynesse said:
My stylist always gets after me for waiting so long in between relaxers. I have doing this for years before I found this site mainly because I was being cheap. :lachen:

I don't find my new growth to be hard to manage but honestly I have never seen my natural hair. I have been getting relaxers for as long as I can remember.

Getting to the point....I told my stylist that I was thinking about squasing the perm thing and going natural and this was her response........

I will have to post pics soon but I think I have something like 3b/c and I was told recently that I honestly might not need to be relaxed. All of my relaxers come out bone straight which in my opinion contributes to my really thin hair.

If indeed I decide to transition, is there a certain technique I should use? I tried to do a search but the page would not come up for me.

Wow...what a ******!! Whatever, she's discouraging. She can laugh her self to the poor house with that b/c you needs to find a stylist who encourages your goals. Perhaps find a stylist that focuses on natural hair care.

As for techniques, a lot of members were able to transition with braid outs/twist outs. Also...s-curl followed by WGO or some other heavy oil ont your new growth will help it to slick down some. If you tie your hair up at night while bunning it can help as well.

Eventually, though you'll reach a threshold point and HAVE to cut the relaxed hair off. GOOD LUCK:D

shortfynesse said:

Many stylists do not want to see their clients go natural--it is a loss of revenue for them, and additionally, some stylists honestly feel that black hair is unmanageable if it is not relaxed/processed in some way.

I believe that NO hair type needs a relaxer if the person decides to forgo one. My hair type is no where near 3b or 3c, yet I know I don't NEED a relaxer. :)

There is a transitioner's forum somewhere on this board--I'm sure someone will link to it for you.

I transitioned for 12 months, and I did it the following ways:
-Conditioner washed/deep conditioned twice weekly
-Detangled in 6 sections with lots of conditioner and a Denman brush
-No heat (direct nor indirect)
-No combing
-Moisturized my hair twice daily
-Wore braidouts and buns during my transition
I had very little breakage, and once I figured out my routine, very little trouble detangling. Hardest months were between 4-6. I was ready to chop by month 11.

I understand completely, when I told my stylist that I was thinking about going natural, she started to frown and discourage me from transitioning. The whole time, I got the impression, that she felt like it would be too much work or a bother to go natural for either her or myself, I'm not really sure. :confused: After speaking with her, it became very clear to me that I was going to start transitioning regardless of what she through.

Anyway, that has been over 6 months ago, and I have not looked back. Every hair stylist that I have gone to since then, has told me that I do not need a relaxer & that my hair is fine & curly and leave the chemicals alone. I'm taking the long route by having my hair trimmed every couple of months or so, until the relaxed hair has been trimmed away.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do & remember that the only person you need to please is yourself!:)

Well, LCHF is an informative site to support your transition, the physical as well as the mental/emotional aspects of the return to your natural hair. I suppose the reaction from your stylist has not quite sunk in yet:eek: :look: :ohwell:

Clearly that stylist is not supportive (for a variety of reasons, including financial) or she just thinks you're not serious about your plan. And that's a signal.... I know this isn't the case of every stylist because when I asked my stylist about going natural, she was and remains a wonderful supporter.

Much success to you, whatever you decide to do!:)

Transitioning to natural is challenging enough, and moreso without support from your family, friends and stylist. How tacky and unprofessional for her to laugh at your goals. :mad: If she's not going to support you, tell her "goodbye."

Personally, I transitioned for 9 months before I BC'd. Braidouts, twistsouts, buns and other updos are what got me through my transition.

There is a ton of transitioning and natural hair support on this board, so you will do just fine.

Thank you ladies that was very encouraging, I did not want to include hair type in my original post because I am not a fan of it. I just wanted to give you a mental picture on what my hair looks like since I don't have pictures yet.

That makes alot of sense. When my money is right she gets $35 from me every two weeks and $55 for a touch up. Her book is full every day so she can't be struggling ( I don't know). More and more I'm thinking of letting her go even if I do decide to stick with relaxers because generally she is no help on maintaining healthy hair. It feels like a bad relationship and I feel guilty for leaving and when I see someone else she ask me where I've been (like I've been cheating):lol: . I mean we have been together for over 13 years. :lol:

I found that this is definately not an overnight decision and I'm trying to stretch til April or so. Hopefully I will have come to a conclusion by then.

shortfynesse said:

No one's hair needs to be relaxed. It's a matter of personal preference and choice.

Anyway, your stylist may have laughed because she knows if you're not getting relaxers, she's not getting your $$$. She's probably threatened if anything.

I'm not surprised. She's thinking...I don't want my meal ticket to fly out the window.:mad: I wish I were more educated on how to style my hair naturally. It is a shame they think more of themselves.

shortfynesse said:

Some black folks are REAL crazy when it comes to other black folks natural hair. I just don't get it. I haven't had a fully processed relaxer is July so my hair is very underprocessed and super wavy right now. I made a comment to my friend that I haven't had a full blown relaxer in so long that I might as well go natural. I was half kidding and half serious but her eyes almost popped out of her head and her lip turned up like I said I was thinking of adding a third breast to my body or something. We certainly have been conditioned to this straight hair thing being a MUST.

i'm new to the site and i too have gone natural, back to relaxed and natural. ;) i cant seem to make up my mind. i go about a yr and then get a touch up. however, due to hormonal issues, hair is NOT str8, its curly and coily. i really never experienced any breakage or horror stories while attempting to transition. (attempting for about 4yrs now) i have 3b type hair, a little past shoulders and actually my former stylist 1st recommended that i go natural. she didnt think i needed a relaxer. my new stylist REFUSES to give me a relaxer and even told me not to press it. i got my last touch up in September and i think that will be my last. i get weak because my hair is so soft and thick that when humidity, sweat, etc gets in it, i'm diana ross!!! :lol: i am learning and have learned from this site that moisture and keeping my hair protected is very important!! if anyone else has some suggestions for us and techniques that will help the maintenance and growth please tell. :D

Cheleigh said:
Many stylists do not want to see their clients go natural--it is a loss of revenue for them, and additionally, some stylists honestly feel that black hair is unmanageable if it is not relaxed/processed in some way.

I believe that NO hair type needs a relaxer if the person decides to forgo one. My hair type is no where near 3b or 3c, yet I know I don't NEED a relaxer. :)

There is a transitioner's forum somewhere on this board--I'm sure someone will link to it for you.

I transitioned for 12 months, and I did it the following ways:
-Conditioner washed/deep conditioned twice weekly
-Detangled in 6 sections with lots of conditioner and a Denman brush
-No heat (direct nor indirect)
-No combing
-Moisturized my hair twice daily
-Wore braidouts and buns during my transition
I had very little breakage, and once I figured out my routine, very little trouble detangling. Hardest months were between 4-6. I was ready to chop by month 11.

COSIGNING!

Honestly speaking for me.....I had a misconception about people saying they wanted to go natural until I found LHCF. My perception of going natural was the women I would see with TWA or dreadlocks. Not to say that anything is wrong with that but I was never interested in that for myself. I have now learned that relaxers may be harming me more than helping my hair and I have seen naturals on this site with BEAUTIFUL long styles that I feel I can relate to more.

shortfynesse said:

To hell with your stylist. Do what's best for you. If you're coming to a point where you want to be natural then go for it and enjoy the journey. Reactions like hers aren't uncommon since the average stylist lives and breathes off the opportunity to slap a relaxer on somebody's head. So f**k her and anybody else who thinks wearing a beautiful head of natural hair is an unachievable dream.

shortfynesse said:
Honestly speaking for me.....I had a misconception about people saying they wanted to go natural until I found LHCF. My perception of going natural was the women I would see with TWA or dreadlocks. Not to say that anything is wrong with that but I was never interested in that for myself. I have now learned that relaxers may be harming me more than helping my hair and I have seen naturals on this site with BEAUTIFUL long styles that I feel I can relate to more.

....ditto ( thank God for deliverance from my ignorance).

dk

Last edited:
Back