Smoothly Air Drying relaxed long hair?

goldensugar23

I have and am now battling a bad case of Seborrheic Dermatitis.I have lost hair from each shampooing and waiting a week between shampoo my scalp gets really bad and crusty(yuck).After a few months I realized I lost the least amount of hair by cw every 4/5 days.Anyway I have bsl hair(after a recent trim).I'm looking for a method to air drying smoothly so i do not have to manipulate it with to much heat to get a straight look.I have air dryed in the past by just letting my hair hang out then blow drying...but since I plan to wash more frequently there has to be a better way and less heat.I was thinking a ponytail and scarf method..but what to do with the ends of my hair so it drys smooth.Shall i set it in curlers overnight..ugh..lol..help?

Last edited:
dont really have any advice. i just want to say that i never use shampoo. EVER. i co wash 100% of time. i had to shapoo only last week cuz of the texlaxing and i had to nuetralize but THATS IT. i dont like suds in my hair becuase my hair will tangle and get very dry.

im sure other ladies will chime in with a method or air drying straight.

My hair is texlaxed, not relaxed and I sometimes airdry (during the first 4 weeks after a touch up) with pony tails. I usually do about four pony tails, but I've read that others do about 18. You can roll the ends up and let it all dry. So this way you are pulling your roots straight and rolling up the length. Your hair should dry pretty straight doing this. The key with my hair (almost BSL) is that if I airdry I really have to detangle really really really well. So that when I go to flat iron my hair isn't tangled and matted.

If you are not going to flat iron after air drying, what are you planning to do?

Because my air dried hair doesn't look cute, BEFORE the flat iron. I would suggest you consider trying a braidout or bantu knot set.

My hair is texlaxed, not relaxed and I sometimes airdry (during the first 4 weeks after a touch up) with pony tails. I usually do about four pony tails, but I've read that others do about 18. You can roll the ends up and let it all dry. So this way you are pulling your roots straight and rolling up the length. Your hair should dry pretty straight doing this. The key with my hair (almost BSL) is that if I airdry I really have to detangle really really really well. So that when I go to flat iron my hair isn't tangled and matted.

If you are not going to flat iron after air drying, what are you planning to do?

Because my air dried hair doesn't look cute, BEFORE the flat iron. I would suggest you consider trying a braidout or bantu knot set.

my hair turns out pretty good, i dont blow dry or flat iron. ,the rollers get hari pretty straight, i love wet setting. so far so good

I have and am now battling a bad case of Seborrheic Dermatitis.I have lost hair from each shampooing and waiting a week between shampoo my scalp gets really bad and crusty(yuck).After a few months I realized I lost the least amount of hair by cw every 4/5 days.Anyway I have bsl hair(after a recent trim).I'm looking for a method to air drying smoothly so i do not have to manipulate it with to much heat to get a straight look.I have air dryed in the past by just letting my hair hang out then blow drying...but since I plan to wash more frequently there has to be a better way and less heat.I was thinking a ponytail and scarf method..but what to do with the ends of my hair so it drys smooth.Shall i set it in curlers overnight..ugh..lol..help?

I have SerDerm too! Mine is under control though, mostly because I live in a warmer climate. My dermatitis was never too bad mainly becasue I went to the dermatologist before it got to be too bad. I was prescribed a scalp treatment that I had to apply to my scalp overnight. Then I washed my hair with Tar shampoo.

My mom still have scalp issues in the winter time so she uses the Tar shampoo twice a week, followed by a moisturizing shampoo, DC, leave-in conditioner, Chi Silk Infusion....air dry with scarf.

FINALLY, to answer your question, with your hair length, I think the ponytail method would work. My hair is not that long so I have to apply some heat in the morning about air drying. I was roller-setting at night, the re-rolling with satin pillow rollers, UGH! I like the scarf method once I found a great leave-in conditioner (Neutr Triple Moisture did not work for me, now I use Cantu leave-in).

Try wrapping your hair while wet with leave-in, tying a scarf over it, and leaving it on overnight until your hair dries . This can be done gently and dries your hair smoothly without the use of heat. I did this when I was relaxed and had healthy BSL hair :yep:

After you air dry it straight you might try silk wrapping it? I do a cross wrap because I can't do a real wrap.

Try wrapping your hair while wet with leave-in, tying a scarf over it, and leaving it on overnight until your hair dries . This can be done gently and dries your hair smoothly without the use of heat. I did this when I was relaxed and had healthy BSL hair :yep:

I totally agree with this post. The scarf will mold your hair down into a very smooth state/texture.

Gently comb/fingercomb your hair going back or down on all sides (sides and back). Throw a few rollers on your ends. Roll the rollers up as high or low as you want. Secure the roller with a duck bill clip or even better yet, those croc clips from Sally's (the $5 pack). I have some in now and they are like heaven. The croc clips holds a ton of hair in place. You may get a crimp from the clips but I don't mind. You could gently or on low blow the crimps out.

Since you have length, you could get away with rolling up high for bounce and body.

Edited: Forgot to mention, Sally's has a $1 off coupon in the store for the croc clips until the end of February.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! I am thinking about texlaxing and BKTing to get bone straight and if that doesn't work I will need a no heat way to get my hair straight!

Back