Smoke Points of Oil

unalteredone

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Smoke_point

I was sitting under the dryer with coconut oil on my hair wondering if not having heat protectant on would cause a problem (but my hair feels so gooood) so i decided to look this up. I know that macadamia nut oil is an ingredient in the redken heat glide, so i figured that it should have a pretty high smoke point, which is great because that means that you could in theory flat iron your hair (with the temp set to no more than 370 degrees IMO) with the oil on it and it would "protect" your hair and not break down/boil. Macadamia oil is also supposed to be good for your hair so.... could some oils be the coneless solution to heat?

Smoke points of some common LHCF oils:
Avocado: 520 F
Coconut: 350 F
Macadamia: 413 F
Olive: 375 F

Last edited:
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Smoke_point

I was sitting under the dryer with coconut oil on my hair wondering if not having heat protectant on would cause a problem (but my hair feels so gooood) so i decided to look this up. I know that macadamia nut oil is an ingredient in the redken heat glide, so i figured that it should have a pretty high smoke point, which is great because that means that you could in theory flat iron your hair (with the temp set to no more than 370 degrees IMO) with the oil on it and it would "protect" your hair and not break down/boil. Macadamia oil is also supposed to be good for your hair so.... could some oils be the coneless solution to heat?

Smoke points of some common LHCF oils:
Avocado: 520 F
Coconut: 350 F
Macadamia: 413 F
Olive: 375 F

Off to look up Macadamia nut oil. I remember Traycee praising it.

I don't think boiling point, heat point, smoke points, etc. have anything to do with how good something is as a heat protectant. It needs to be able to coat the hair and act as an extra barrier against the heat to truly protect.

I don't think boiling point, heat point, smoke points, etc. have anything to do with how good something is as a heat protectant. It needs to be able to coat the hair and act as an extra barrier against the heat to truly protect.

true, true...

:yep: exactly. An oil can still have a high boiling point AND cook ya hair at the same time.

I used to iron my hair with oil and even vaseline back in the day :look: I didn't suffer any set backs but I would not suggest it lol.

I'm keeping my eye on this thread because my hair gets its straightest when I use an oil (even though I hate how some oils leave my hair feeling heavy) and CHI doesn't do anything for me, so I would love to find out the answers.....

Grapeseed oil also has a high smoke point at 420F. I don't know if it is safe to use oil over a long period of time to straighten the hair though.

Simply Healthy Hair uses Grapeseed Oil in all of their products for hydration and heat protection, but I've never tried this line.

I'm keeping my eye on this thread because my hair gets its straightest when I use an oil (even though I hate how some oils leave my hair feeling heavy) and CHI doesn't do anything for me, so I would love to find out the answers.....

This is me too. I'm trying to find one that isn't too oily but I took the suggestion of a friend that presses with Indian Hemp and my hair looked like I got a fresh perm. My hair reverted back with no problems and other serums don't seem to give that straightness I'm after while transitioning.

Um... I don't see why having a high smoke point would be reassuring.

When we are cooking with these oils, we fry stuff up in them way below their smoke points. We don't cook with oils at or beyond their smoke points, if we did, the kitchen would be full of smoke and the food would be badly done.
It doesn't take an oil to reach it's smoke point to cook/fry something, that happens way before you reach the smoke point.

I would think the same thing could happen to hair.

"The smoke point refers to the temperature at which a cooking fat or oil begins to break down. The substance smokes or burns, and gives food an unpleasant taste. Beyond the smoke point is the flash point, the point at which combustion occurs."

" The smoke point of various fats is important to note because a fat is no longer good for consumption after it has exceeded its smoke point and has begun to break down. Once a fat starts to smoke, it usually will emit a harsh smell and fill the air with smoke. In addition it is believed that fats that have gone past their smoke points contain a large quantity of free radicals which contribute to risk of cancer."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/50/Smoke-Points-of-Various-Fats

Not that I'm trying to tell anyone what to do with their hair. It's just my take on this info.

Um... I don't see why having a high smoke point would be reassuring.

When we are cooking with these oils, we fry stuff up in them way below their smoke points. We don't cook with oils at or beyond their smoke points, if we did, the kitchen would be full of smoke and the food would be badly done. It doesn't take an oil to reach it's smoke point to cook/fry something, that happens way before you reach the smoke point.

I would think the same thing could happen to hair.

"The smoke point refers to the temperature at which a cooking fat or oil begins to break down. The substance smokes or burns, and gives food an unpleasant taste. Beyond the smoke point is the flash point, the point at which combustion occurs."

" The smoke point of various fats is important to note because a fat is no longer good for consumption after it has exceeded its smoke point and has begun to break down. Once a fat starts to smoke, it usually will emit a harsh smell and fill the air with smoke. In addition it is believed that fats that have gone past their smoke points contain a large quantity of free radicals which contribute to risk of cancer."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/50/Smoke-Points-of-Various-Fats

Not that I'm trying to tell anyone what to do with their hair. It's just my take on this info.
yea wut she said:grin:

Back