Smelly Scalp

Bridgebacktolife

If you relax please stop. I have heard of ppl having a condition like this and in some instances their follicles are inflamed. When they stop relaxing it stops completely and the smell disappears completely.

Make your last rinse when washing 1-2 tbsp acv in 32-36 ounces of water and get it on scalp thoroughly. I wouldn't stop washing if your hair has an odor cause this will continue to make you super self conscious. If would switch to more natural shampoo/ conditioner and stop co-washing if you do that.

This shampoo/conditioner would be a good start it has neem in it and the smell is masked well so its not funky:
http://organixsouth.com/theraneem/hair-care.html

^^^most health food and better grocer's will carry these products. The kids version or scalp therapy would be good for this.

Instead of seeing a dermatologist, I would see a trichologist.

If it's fungus, take Oregano Oil pills to kill the fungus internally. In addition, to addressing it externally/topically.

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

Bridgebacktolife If you relax please stop. I have heard of ppl having a condition like this and in some instances their follicles are inflamed. When they stop relaxing it stops completely and the smell disappears completely. Make your last rinse when washing 1-2 tbsp acv in 32-36 ounces of water and get it on scalp thoroughly. I wouldn't stop washing if your hair has an odor cause this will continue to make you super self conscious. If would switch to more natural shampoo/ conditioner and stop co-washing if you do that. This shampoo/conditioner would be a good start it has neem in it and the smell is masked well so its not funky: http://organixsouth.com/theraneem/hair-care.html ^^^most health food and better grocer's will carry these products. The kids version or scalp therapy would be good for this. Instead of seeing a dermatologist, I would see a trichologist.

I agree with all of this!
I know 2 ppl who had the same issue and when they went natural the problem went away. A friend of mine would wash her hair and like 2 days later it would have a very distinct foul smell and she'd have flakes. She would use various medicated poos - smell still there. She went natural and the problem went away right away. She didn't make the connection immediately and that wasn't her reason for going natural - she went natural on impulse. When she'd walk around her hair would smell like kbb products or like conditioner lol . Big time difference.
The other person was a coworker of mine. Her scalp had the same distinct stinky as my friend. My coworker would go to the derm and get shots and try medicated products and when you were in close proximity you could still smell her scalp. She stopped relaxing her hair and she said her scalp situation is not as bad and it no longer smells.

Acv is great for the scalp, that's another option to look into as well.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Baking soda (a couple of tbs to about 1/4 c in about a quart of water) does wonders. Pour over your wet head...focussing on your scalp and rinse. Finish the process with an ACV rinse because baking soda opens your cuticle. I wouldn't use the baking soda more than once a week.

What are using to shampoo your scalp now?

Is your hair in braids or twists?

Are you letting your hair air dry completely?

Noticed my dd's hair had a "sour" smell to it after washing. She usually has issues with itchy dry and flaky scalp that I have to scratch up before washing. Today, I used my usual CON sulfate free and washed thoroughly. Afterward, I smelled her hair and it smelled sour.

Noticed my dd's hair had a "sour" smell to it after washing. She usually has issues with itchy dry and flaky scalp that I have to scratch up before washing. Today, I used my usual CON sulfate free and washed thoroughly. Afterward, I smelled her hair and it smelled sour.
Oh my gosh. Is she relaxed or natural? I hope you find a solution.

Wow there's a lot of good advice in here.

Maybe try using some Cantu ACV Root Rinse before shampoo. Apply to her scalp, massage in (while you're doing your usual scratching lightly) and let it sit for a bit, then proceed to shampooing. Hope you get to the root of the problem.

Please come back and update us.

What do ya know, I just looked it up and tea tree oil IS one of the remedies. Add it to shampoo.Its anti bacterial.

If I had this problem I'd even go as far as applying monistat :look::look:. It's anti bacterial at it's finest....so I've heard.
I second the Tea Tree oil. And use a sulfate shampoo first. Add several drops to the sulfate shampoo and wash scalp and hair. Then use the non sulfate to bring back the moisture. Mildew is an indicator of mold/fungus on the scalp, so if possible OP, take your daughter to the doctor. She has a fungal infection going on. Also the scalp and hair needs to dry completely. Sit under a dryer after styling the hair. Wash her pillows cases and scarves/bonnets in hot soapy water. That stuff can end up moving to her face.

I would try Giovanni's Triple Treat Shampoo or Nizoral shampoo. Sounds like she might have fungus/yeast on her scalp.

I would try Giovanni's Triple Treat Shampoo or Nizoral shampoo. Sounds like she might have fungus/yeast on her scalp.

Second this, or the Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle. It’s filled with essential oils that will really cleanse her scalp and get rid of any bacteria or fungus that may be present.

Of course if the smell persists, I would recommend a doctor.

Last edited:
Most of the time, this is internal. Eat more veggies and fruits and drink lots of water. The condition of your scalp has a lot to do with what you eat.

Back