Smaller twists show more length?

zzirvingj

I always do medium sized twists on my hair. But the other day I did a small twist just out of curiosity and my hair seemed to show more length when I did them smaller.

Any other naturals notice this???

Def. I do smaller twists once in a while on damp/dry hair and I can see length a little better. I just don't like taking them out and detangling so I limit how many times I do smaller twists. Another way I have seen a little more length then w/just twisting on med sized twists is braiding the base (about 1/4 way) then twisting the rest.

Oh, definitely - the smaller the twists, the longer it looks.....it jsut takes me too long to do little twists, so I tend to stick with medium/large sized ones - esp. since I do my twists every week.

I do little twists all the time. It is time consuming but I love the results. It just takes forever to get them out. Check out my album which showcases my tiny twists.

How do you guys take out your small twists? They're pretty easy for me to put in, but my hair tangles pretty badly when taking them out even after they've been in only for a few hours (on about half my head). Are there any tips or tricks to removing them that avoids the tangles?

My hair looks shorter with small twists.This is due to the fact that my hair curls up when I do small twists. Now when I make medium sections of hair it looks much longer.

I also think dry twisting helps make my twists look longer too, however, even w/ small sections, my twists look like I tried to curl them on a rod of something.

I blow dry my hair first and i moisturize it well. I also keep the big chunks i'm not using in big ole dookie braids. when i'm done twisting one section I braid it up. I also use a rat tail to part and quickly run through each section before i twist.

Cheleigh said:
How do you guys take out your small twists? They're pretty easy for me to put in, but my hair tangles pretty badly when taking them out even after they've been in only for a few hours (on about half my head). Are there any tips or tricks to removing them that avoids the tangles?

Well - there are two sides to avoiding tangles.
How you twist your hair - I make sure that my hair is combed out WELL, then I take two separate strands, and as I twist the strands around each other, I ALSO twist each strand. So - it's kind of a 'triple' twist.
Since I wear a twist out on Fridays, that allows my twist out to stay 'tight' because when I take the two strands apart, the individual strands are still 'twisted'.
When it comes time to untangle, since my twists are 'technically' already untwisted, I get my hair soaking wet, put in a nice thick conditioner, and patiently, patiently, patiently untangle and comb through my hair.
I've also noticed that if I oil my hair while it's in the twists - with either a scalp massage oil or some Oyin's Whipped Pudding, the tangles almost seem to FALL apart when it comes time to detangle.

nappywomyn said:
Well - there are two sides to avoiding tangles.
How you twist your hair - I make sure that my hair is combed out WELL, then I take two separate strands, and as I twist the strands around each other, I ALSO twist each strand. So - it's kind of a 'triple' twist.
Since I wear a twist out on Fridays, that allows my twist out to stay 'tight' because when I take the two strands apart, the individual strands are still 'twisted'.
When it comes time to untangle, since my twists are 'technically' already untwisted, I get my hair soaking wet, put in a nice thick conditioner, and patiently, patiently, patiently untangle and comb through my hair.
I've also noticed that if I oil my hair while it's in the twists - with either a scalp massage oil or some Oyin's Whipped Pudding, the tangles almost seem to FALL apart when it comes time to detangle.

This was a HUGE help nappywomyn, thank you so much.

Back