SLS derived from coconut... is it safe??

RedVelvet310

(Sorry if this is a bit long)

I want to settle this once and for all! :spinning: This has been bothering me since I became "SLS-conscious". After discovering that my scalp couldn't do ONLY co-washes (I need shampoos at least weekly, and oddly enough my hair feels much soft when I use them) I've been on the search for a good shampoo. I used and I like(d) Head and Shoulders, my hair and scalp felt great but I would prefer to use a shampoo without SLS. Ideally I'd want it to be inexpensive and accessible. I recently went to WalMart and bought the Live Clean shampoo (for colour treated hair.. better smell and higher pH). I was only $5 so I thought why not. I checked the ingredients and it has: Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate/Disodium 2-Sulfolaurate/Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (coconut and palm derived)

My question is: is SLS derived from coconut "safe"? The bottle also says it's SLS free so I'm kinda confused :perplexed.

TIA!

ETA: This is the site for the shampoo http://www.live-clean.com/

Last edited:
IMO, a surfactant is a sufactant whether it's naturally derived or not. They do the same thing, and are sometimes harsher (like c-14 & c-16 olefin sulfonate).

If you want a non-sls shampoo try Castile soap diluted with oils and honey. Or, add baking soda to your conditioner, it makes a great cowash.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is the SLS that people try to avoid. It's very harsh, drying and irritating. Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (ALS) is the worst of the bunch. As long as you stay away from those two detergents, you'll be a-okay :)

Two natural poos that I've heard good things about are Gary Null's Heavenly Hair Cleanser and African Black Soap.

Those are on my wish list :)

SLS and ALS have the same potency (by potency I mean the ability to cause irritation in those that are sensitive). ALS is touted as being gentler -just market hype.

They are drying when not in balance with other ingredients in a shampoo. They're also in different concentrations from shampoo to shampoo.

If you've discovered that your scalp is sensitive to them PERIOD, then what Msa said is correct. Her suggestions are spot on. :grin:

Back