sleeping in a set?

LivingDol1

in an effort to minimize the many late nights i spend during the week washing and roller setting my hair, i'm looking into alternative ways to dry my hair that don't require me to stay up til 2am on a wednesday night.

does anyone sleep in a wet roller set and let it air dry overnight?

does anyone sleep in flexirods?

has anyone experiences hair breakage issues due to the above options?

i tried sleeping in a ponytail roller set last week after sitting under my soft bonnet dryer for 45 minutes... but i kept waking up every hour and i eventually took out the bottom roller and made it into a pincurl when i felt it was 80% dry so that i could sleep more comfortably... but in an ideal situation, i don't want my sleeping to be interrupted...

i've tried air drying my hair in 4 braids before. my ends were always super dry and my hair just seemed tangled even though i detangled before braiding my hair. it just doesn't work for me!

any suggestions before i go out and order a pibbs or the cheap alternative?

thanks.

does anyone sleep in a wet roller set and let it air dry overnight? Yes

does anyone sleep in flexirods? No (Haven't tried them yet)

has anyone experiences hair breakage issues due to the above options? Nope, no breakage. I love the results, my rollerset is bouncy and soft.

I've slept with a damp rollerset, ponytail rollerset with the purple magnetic rollers and a full rollerset with pink magnetic rollers... it took a bit of getting used to but now I can sleep in them with no problem.

Maybe try satin rollers? I haven't tried them yet and not sure how they'd work with wet hair...

Last edited:
I do most time that I do a set. Bot with regular rollers and with flexirods. I haven't had any problem with breakage doing this. However, I have found that my hair dries faster with regular rollers so when I do a flexirod set I have to do it earlier in the day to give myself a chance to dry.

if i use the small purple rollers i can sleep with them, but its not comfortable and my hair still won't be dry in the morning. the night i used flexi rods was the worst night of sleep i ever had besides the night i had to sleep in an airport... it might even be worst than that.

No, sorry haven't done that. For one, I wouldn't be able to sleep and secondly, my hair definitely would not be dry at 5 a.m.

I sleep with the purple magnetic rollers twice a week when I do my wash and set. However, do sit under the dryer for at least 30 min. They are uncomfortable, but no damage.

I airdried with my magnetic rollers and the curls came out really great. I tried sleeping with them but they are just too big and uncomfortable. I got no sleep that night, and was tired and irritable all the next day.

So at the most I will air dry my hair till about 80-90% dry and then roll on flexirods (like 15 or 20). This works for me.

I feel that it would probably take literally 24 hours for my hair to dry this way. Some do it with magnetics. It's just a matter of preference but yeah, you'll end up with a nice set.

With flexis? I don't know about that, that would be very, very uncomfortable!

I sleep in a rollerset every night. I always dry my hair before I go to bed because my hair retains water and I can't be sure it will be dry when I get up in the morning. But, even on those days when I don't wash my hair, I rollerset my (dry) hair on magnetic rollers before I go to bed.

When I want spiral curls (which is quite often), I set my hair on 1" magnetic rollers; I've never tried flexirods. Anyway, I dry with my soft bonnet dryer for 45 minutes to an hour, then go to bed. I sleep comfortably, and my sets turn out great.

I have not had any issues with breakage, and I actually prefer to dry my rollersets this way. I have a hard bonnet dryer that I never use.

Last edited:
I do this often. My hair takes so long to dry. I dry my hair for a bit under a hood dryer and then I sleep in satin rollers.

so you still get a nice smooth set on satin rollers? i may want to try that. i don't think i can sleep on magnetic rollers. they're so hard!!

I sleep in the grey flex-rods all the time. I also sleep in magnetic's sometime. I think the key is to make sure each peice is not so thick on the roller. I sometimes sit under the dryer for 15-30mins just to set it, then go to sleep.

does anyone sleep in a wet roller set and let it air dry overnight?

Everytime I do a roller set I dry it this way. I do this because by the time I finish doing everything else and I actually get the rollers in my hair it's time for me to lie down and I'm not in the mood to be sitting under a dryer.

has anyone experiences hair breakage issues due to the above options?
I have not experienced any breakage doing it this way. There's no more shedding or breakage than if I were to sit under the dryer.

I always sleep on magnetics. I'm a pro at that now! :grin:

Although I've not slept on flexirods for a long time, but I just did a set this evening. So lord knows what sort of sleep I'll get tonight!

The things we do for our hair! :lol:

I sleep in roller sets all the time every Sunday nite to be exact. I use the magnetic hard rollers because they won't break, pull, or damage your hair but they are uncomfortable for sleeping to some people. They don't bother me. I have been using them for years though. My rollersets always turn out great been doing those for years too..LOL

I had a roommate in college who would sleep in bed with her soft bonnett hair dryer instead of sitting up waiting for her hair to dry. It shuts off after it completes the setting you set it for. I wouldn't recommend that but she never burned the room down or anything..LOL..and her rollersets turned out good.

If the hard magnetic rollers are uncomfortable to you for sleeping you could try some Satin covered foam rollers. They are soft and comfortable for sleeping. I have never used them for rollersets so I don't know how good of set you would get.

Another option would be to do your sets earlier in the day/evening if possible. That way you will have time to either air dry or sit under the dryer without staying up so late.

Last edited:
Back