SL TO APL HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?

• Thread starter Thread starter QB
  • Start date Start date

QB

I'm just wondering how long did it take to get from shoulder length to armpit length?

Wow then I should be armpit by October, I wish--- I see that my hair is not growing very fast. That would be perfect if it grew that long by then. I put it to Christmas, but decided to just wait and see what happens on my second year. Which would be in April.

I will take the mathmatecial approach...they say your hair grows about 6 inches per year. So its about 3 inches from shoulder to APL, so figure 6 months if you manage to retain all your length.

Okay this thread just got me very excited.. :p I was like oh LAWD its gonna take 15 YEARS for my junk to grow!! :lol:

Sorry, Im off in my own lil world here...

I'm tall, so it is 5 inches from my shoulder to armpit! :eek: I'm hoping to be there by August, but defintely sometime in 2007.

6 months?:eek: You ladies have it going on:up: It took me a year and I am only grazing:ohwell:

ETA: Like the hair nerd I am, I just got up and measured the distance between my shoulder and armpit. Its 5 inches so I don't feel SO bad:wink2:

Last edited:
Oh sorry, I didn't start at exactly SL. SL around here is anything between brushing your shoulders to APL. I was already a few inches past my shoulder before I started.

Hi
New to the blog myself and around the same length as you. We can be in this togehter. I am hoping for apl by at least Christmas. Still trying to get on a regimen. I have been lurking too long and have all these products (pj before LHCF) and not sure which ones to use and why. :grin: Heres a pic of my hair after wash.

Last edited:
It'll be a year for me since I started my Journey this August....and I feel like I am stuck at where i started. I mean, i had to dust and trim away those fra-gile ,highlighted, dry brittle ends.....but goodness....i feel SOOOO behind!

....guess I will bank on it sometime this year:look::look::look:

Probably about 7-8 mos for me.

My shoulders are kinda far away from my AP.

It seems like that was the easiest part of my journey. The hard part is getting past BSL.

I am convinced height has alot to do with reaching APL. Some of you ladies got it in 6 months. Gah. I'm lagging.
I have been fighting to get to APL the LONGEST. I still manage to be in between. :mad: I protective style and all the other stuff and I still can't get there. I am determined to get there by..December :bud:

When I was relaxed at SL trying to grow it out, it took about 6 months to get to APL. But I had to get several major haircuts later due to relaxer damage and whatnot. So for a while, I never grew it past APL. Until last year...my hair went from APL to BSL in about 6 months. BUT, I've been stuck at brastrap ever since.:perplexed

I think it really depends on the health of your hair and ability to retain you ends. Remeber all of the damage you imposed on your hair with constant blowdrying, excessive heat BEFORE joining LHCF? Well the results of that damage are sitting on your ends and they are ready to break off the fastest and first.

In my personal experience, I had to go through the process of trimming the breakage from my ends and previous damage before I began to retain the lenght. So it took about a year and a half before I got to a healty armpit - and I feel I am still struggling.

SL to armpit for me was very challenging not only because of trying to salvage the ends from my hair frying days but also because if I did not wear a protectve style it during this period it constantly brushed against my shoulders causing breakage. Watch out for this ladies.

If you are at a point at SL and you have healthy ends then I would say between six months to one year. Otherwise add another six months.

Not to be discouraging but more realistic. I have learned this NOW after 3 years of hair care that I need to set realistic goals. Give yourselves an additional 6 months to your target date (I know it can seem like eternity) so you wont be dissapointed. You will be surprised at how many setbacks (learning experiences) you go thru on your journey. And hey, if you meet your goal prior to that its all good...an early surprise!

I thought by now I would be a BSL - shooting for July. But after examining the condition of ends even after being good 90% of the time, I feel the need for a nice inch trim. This would push me back to September for a solid BSL.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Chanel's Tresses said:
Hi

New to the blog myself and around the same length as you. We can be in this togehter. I am hoping for apl by at least Christmas. Still trying to get on a regimen. I have been lurking too long and have all these products (pj before LHCF) and not sure which ones to use and why. Heres a pic of my hair after wash.

Hi Chanel's Tresses:
Looks like we are newbies on the board are you taking any vitamins for hair growth? I found in the archives a thread about Bargello's Method and plan to purchase a few of the vitamins she suggested. I will keep you posted on my progress.
Happy Hair Growing!!

Last edited:
SerenityBreeze said:
I think it really depends on the health of your hair and ability to retain you ends. Remeber all of the damage you imposed on your hair with constant blowdrying, excessive heat BEFORE joining LHCF? Well the results of that damage are sitting on your ends and they are ready to break off the fastest and first.

In my personal experience, I had to go through the process of trimming the breakage from my ends and previous damage before I began to retain the lenght. So it took about a year and a half before I got to a healty armpit - and I feel I am still struggling.

SL to armpit for me was very challenging not only because of trying to salvage the ends from my hair frying days but also because if I did not wear a protectve style it during this period it constantly brushed against my shoulders causing breakage. Watch out for this ladies.

If you are at a point at SL and you have healthy ends then I would say between six months to one year. Otherwise add another six months.

Not to be discouraging but more realistic. I have learned this NOW after 3 years of hair care that I need to set realistic goals. Give yourselves an additional 6 months to your target date (I know it can seem like eternity) so you wont be dissapointed. You will be surprised at how many setbacks (learning experiences) you go thru on your journey. And hey, if you meet your goal prior to that its all good...an early surprise!

I thought by now I would be a BSL - shooting for July. But after examining the condition of ends even after being good 90% of the time, I feel the need for a nice inch trim. This would push me back to September for a solid BSL.

Good Luck!

ITA. Also if you are growing out layers, add some extra months if the goal is to even it out. I had a few setbacks with stretching, trims, and ultimately retaining those ends. 6-9 monthis is what I think is realistic.

Back