SKALA Avocado Leave-In Hair Styling Cream

cmw45

This is a review of SKALA Avocado Leave-In Hair Styling Cream. I had not purchased any of the SKALA products before yesterday for two reasons principally: 1) I didn't want to end up with a bunch of products I didn't use and 2) I am on a two year C&G Challenge and there was no real reason to buy anything other than conditioners to cowash with. While at BigLots I became overwhelmed by the smell and the priced and picked up all of the products they had (7 in total). I used the Aloe Vera to cowash this morning after the gym and was not that impressed. Didn't really do anything more than my beloved V05. However, I will reserve judgement until after I have used in on my entire head. Later this evening I was goaded into removing one of my twist by a certain LHCFer (*coughs* Nonie) to do a length check. Since the hair was out I figured I would apply some of the Avocado Leave-In. I was not expecting much...the product was green and the texture was a bit runny. But I LOVE this product. My hair is so incredibly soft and extended. I would go so far to say this is a better leave in than Stay So Fro. There is zero cruchiness and NO residue; I would have no fear at all of someone touching my hair. It is SO soft. I am a 4a and for the first time since I had a TWA do I see a wash n' go in my future.

All I am saying is if you have been like me and have been avoiding the hype but are looking for a good leave-in, PLEASE give this one a try.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your review! I've been seriously contemplating the avocado, but haven't been able to find it. At the very least, you got a chance to try products for $1 each - I've got 2 that don't work that cost $22!

Please keep us posted as you acquire Skala fever!!!

I've tried almost all the skala products EXCEPT Avocado. I refuse to be pulled into this anymore. :nono2: Secretly goes to BL:sekret:

I hear you Miryoku! Though, I must admit that last week I went into BL to get some tubs and I saw some Avocado leave in. I hadn't been able to find this product in my zealous search for all things Skala. Needless to say, I purchased the product, but I didn't go overboard this time. I only purchased 2 bottles and I haven't used them yet. OP, I'm so glad that you did this review!

I hear you Miryoku! Though, I must admit that last week I went into BL to get some tubs and I saw some Avocado leave in. I hadn't been able to find this product in my zealous search for all things Skala. Needless to say, I purchased the product, but I didn't go overboard this time. I only purchased 2 bottles and I haven't used them yet. OP, I'm so glad that you did this review!

I would encourage you to try it. I was so skeptical and almost did not pruchase it because it looks greenish and runny in the bottle. I am SO glad I did and will definitely be hitting up BL for the rest of their stash.

I've tried almost all the skala products EXCEPT Avocado. I refuse to be pulled into this anymore. :nono2: Secretly goes to BL:sekret:

LOL!

Thank you so much for your review! I've been seriously contemplating the avocado, but haven't been able to find it. At the very least, you got a chance to try products for $1 each - I've got 2 that don't work that cost $22!

Please keep us posted as you acquire Skala fever!!!

NP! I've been on LHCF since 2006 and have seen a lot of products get hyped and come and go...in the beginning I jumped on almost every bandwagon and only a couple of the products did what they were purported to do. However, after I tried this product and it performed so well I am seriously encouraging others to try. AND it's only a buck.

NOTE: Anyone who purchases this product from BigLots because of my review and is displeased with its performance, please feel free to PM your address so that I can send you the cost of the product and shipping. :lachen:... but no, seriously. :look:

Last edited:
Tried this product today and will be heading back to BL tomorrow to wipe the rest of them out. I LOVE IT!!!!

Actually I'm using their Shea Butter and Ceramides Leave-in right now. The ingredients list isn't really extravagant but its working for my hair. Skala has very good leave-ins...

Nice review cmw45! I also like the avocado leave-in and you can't beat the price. Don't sleep on the avocado masque. I have been using the masque as a deep conditioner for the past two weeks with a little hempseed oil added and all I have to say is........:trampolin

I totally agree with this review. I've been searching and searching for a leave in that I love and finally found what I was looking for in the Skala Avocado leave in.

This is a review of SKALA Avocado Leave-In Hair Styling Cream. I had not purchased any of the SKALA products before yesterday for two reasons principally: 1) I didn't want to end up with a bunch of products I didn't use and 2) I am on a two year C&G Challenge and there was no real reason to buy anything other than conditioners to cowash with. While at BigLots I became overwhelmed by the smell and the priced and picked up all of the products they had (7 in total). I used the Aloe Vera to cowash this morning after the gym and was not that impressed. Didn't really do anything more than my beloved V05. However, I will reserve judgement until after I have used in on my entire head. Later this evening I was goaded into removing one of my twist by a certain LHCFer (*coughs* Nonie) to do a length check. Since the hair was out I figured I would apply some of the Avocado Leave-In. I was not expecting much...the product was green and the texture was a bit runny. But I LOVE this product. My hair is so incredibly soft and extended. I would go so far to say this is a better leave in than Stay So Fro. There is zero cruchiness and NO residue; I would have no fear at all of someone touching my hair. It is SO soft. I am a 4a and for the first time since I had a TWA do I see a wash n' go in my future.

All I am saying is if you have been like me and have been avoiding the hype but are looking for a good leave-in, PLEASE give this one a try.

Did you buy it in NY? Thanks!

Happy Hair Growing!

Is this a heavy leave-in/moisturizer? I have very fine hair and need something lightweight that doesn't weigh the hair down or cause build up.

Thanks. :)

Is this a heavy leave-in/moisturizer? I have very fine hair and need something lightweight that doesn't weigh the hair down or cause build up.

Thanks. :)
Hey S.P.!

No, Skala is not a heavy leave in. It has a thin creamy consistency. It doesn't weigh my hair down at all nor does it cause build-up. A little is all it takes.

Can somebody please please post the ingredients of one of the skala leave ins? I can buy them online only and my relaxed mum is having a hard time finding a good cheap leave-in where she lives. I've been looking for the ingredients online forever. Thank you if you get the chance.

Last edited:
Hmmm I think this is the kind of product one should buy in person, I'll write why in case someone reads this: I understand from the Skala thread that some have glutaral in them, some of the same products don't.
Glutaral = "friendly" and difficult to recognize by intuition name for glutaraldehyde = a close cousin of formaldehyde, the substance in Brazilian Keratin Treatment, closely linked to cancer.

Can somebody please please post the ingredients of one of the skala leave ins? I can buy them online only and my relaxed mum is having a hard time finding a good cheap leave-in where she lives. I've been looking for the ingredients online forever. Thank you if you get the chance.

Skala Shea Butter Leave in:

Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Methylchloroisothiazolinone (and) Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Parfum (Fragrance) Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, PEG -75 Shea Butter Glycerides, FD&C Yellow #5

Skala Ceramides Leave-in:

Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Ceramides G3: (Laureth-2 (and) Mireth-2 (and) Octyldodecanol (and) Cetyl Lactate (and) (and) Soybean Oil (and) Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (and Ethyl Linoleate (and Ethyl Oleate), Methylchloroisothiazolinone (and) Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Parfum (Fragrance).

I wrote the ingredients just like it says on the back of the bottles... I should probably look up som eof these ingredients...

I recently purchased this product and love it. It leaves my hair soft and shiny. I will use up the two bottles I purchased before buying more. It's now my favorita Skala product.

Back