Sister BC'd need help styling!!!! (pics inside)

trendsetta25

Hello My Lovely Natural Ladies,
My little sis and i need your help!!!! My sister finally sucked it up and decided to cut off her relaxer yesterday. I washed it after i cut the relaxed ends, left a leave in condish (lacio lacio) and gave her two strand twist (i used clear ice gel). When she took the twist out today it just look like one big afro.
We both are clueless as to what styles to do and what products she can use to define her curls. So i need your help!!!!
Please post regi's, pics, product suggestions here....PRETTY PLEASE :perplexed

Before BC
DSC01207-vi.jpg

DSC01206-vi.jpg

After BC
DSC01209-vi.jpg

DSC01210-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Your sister's hair is beautiful! I suggest just using lacio lacio leave-in and no gel. I think the gel helped to create the big fro.

Your sisters' hair is beautiful. I would suggest a moisturizing conditioner combed through the hair and left in and sealed with a butter/oil.

Different hair definitely needs different things. For me, Lacio Lacio is way to light as a leave-in when my hair is curly (works fine when I rollerset). I use either Giovanni Direct Leave-In, GVP The Conditioner, or a regular conditioner as a leave-in. I do use gel when I do my twists, else they look messy on me. I find that Ecostyler gel works well on my hair without leaving a film or flaking. HTH.

Different hair definitely needs different things. For me, Lacio Lacio is way to light as a leave-in when my hair is curly (works fine when I rollerset). I use either Giovanni Direct Leave-In, GVP The Conditioner, or a regular conditioner as a leave-in. I do use gel when I do my twists, else they look messy on me. I find that Ecostyler gel works well on my hair without leaving a film or flaking. HTH.

do you have any pics of hairstlyes you used? or pics of your texture?

her hair looks great after. i love it. my fave drug store products are ORS replenishing conditioner and cantu shea butter leave in. you can use the cantu as a leave in and seal it in with coconut oil

my hates shea butter by itself but if you mix it with water and oil that may be a great night time moisturizer. and also for twists as well.

I don't have any hair style pics but here are two threads that may help:

Best pics of natural heads

post your favorite natural style

Also she should visit Black Girl, Long Hair because there are a whole bunch of posts of great natural styles and lots of other regimen building information. Oh and The Natural Haven is a great place to get hair care information from a scientific perspective. It will also help her build her regimen.

For "out" styles I find that using a conditioner works out great for me because it moisturizes and helps the style to set. My favorite right now is Whole Foods 365 Brand conditioner in the Grapefruit scent. Also, a lot of people love V05 for the same purpose so she could try that as well.

Dcing several times a week really helps bring texture out. I second the motion for headbands (I love the stretchy ones because they can make puffs too - scarfs are another great "headband") and I would also suggest banana clips. Nice healthy head of hair btw

I would have her go to you tube and look at some of the ladies with similar texture and possibly hair length.

This lady seems like she is pretty close to texture and length. She is really nice too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ir2GkDNkY

She can go through fotkis that have done the bc and are now longer also that may give her some ideas.

Styles to look for.
Twists
Twist outs
BAA
Flat twists
cornrows

The lady on what is it tytcurls?

Have her experiment with just cowashing and then using a little bit of cheapie conditioner and a coconut oil on the ends.

Tell her just to start playing and see what works.

I don't have any hair style pics but here are two threads that may help:

Best pics of natural heads

post your favorite natural style

Also she should visit Black Girl, Long Hair because there are a whole bunch of posts of great natural styles and lots of other regimen building information. Oh and The Natural Haven is a great place to get hair care information from a scientific perspective. It will also help her build her regimen.

For "out" styles I find that using a conditioner works out great for me because it moisturizes and helps the style to set. My favorite right now is Whole Foods 365 Brand conditioner in the Grapefruit scent. Also, a lot of people love V05 for the same purpose so she could try that as well.

this is soooo helpful!!!

do you have any pics of hairstlyes you used? or pics of your texture?

Let me see if I can find some where you can actually see my hair, lol. It's so dark it doesn't show up in a lot of pics, but I know I've got a good one around here somewhere.

Her hair looks beautiful! I would actually forgo the lacio lacio. I think it's great for rollersets, but not so great for using on hair in its natural state.

ETA: Products I would recommend as leave ins would be SheaMoisture Shea Butter Leave-In, Shea Butter, and Lustrasilk Shea Butter and Mango Conditioner. As for styles, I love CurlyNikki's Twist-n-Curl routine. It has helped me retain so much length and it looks great! Braidouts are also fun too!

Last edited:
Her hair looks beautiful! I would actually forgo the lacio lacio. I think it's great for rollersets, but not so great for using on hair in its natural state.

ETA: Products I would recommend as leave ins would be SheaMoisture Shea Butter Leave-In, Shea Butter, and Lustrasilk Shea Butter and Mango Conditioner. As for styles, I love CurlyNikki's Twist-n-Curl routine. It has helped me retain so much length and it looks great! Braidouts are also fun too!

are these products sold in stores?

are these products sold in stores?

Products commonly found in stores that are inexpensive and that people like are:

ORS Olive Oil Hair Lotion (moisturizer)
Fantasia IC Gel (Styling - she looks to have a curl pattern)
V05 Moisture Milk conditioner (conditioning and cowashing)
ORS Replenishing Pak (deep conditioner)
Castile soap, diluted (shampoo)

Congratulations to your sister! Her hair is gorgeous. Oh and I love her nails too LOL

If you're looking for products that can be purchased locally maybe you can try going to a local place that sells Kinky Curly Curling Custard. You can go to the Kinky Curly website and see if there is a place in Brooklyn.

I have nothing to add except your hair and nails are gorgeous :eek:
(btw..are your nails natural? If not, they look like it :yep:)

Since you're an NYC girl, yes they are! Lucky you! You can find the Lustrasilk Shea Butter and Mango Conditioner in Sally's are almost any BSS. Shea Butter and Sheamoisture Shea Butter Leave In can also be found in a some BSS.

congrats to your sis! I do love her hair and coming from another natural with a TWA, a scarf/headband would have 'completed' that hairstyle!! i'm a 4b with maybe one or two strands of 4a here and there and when I want a twist out, I usually need a heavier leave-in. i love the Giovanni Direct Leave in but that's not enough, so its usually used with another product (eg curls by sister smith curly pudding) for my wash and go's. the cantu shea butter or the sheamoisture shea butter leave in are both good recs for twist outs/braid outs. recently i've stumbled upon hairveda's whipped gelly and I'm a believer! its an excellent moisturizer for my hair and so when I put in twists, I not only get great, twists with a natural 'shine' but my twist outs are also awesome! I will note that I have only twisted (thus far) on soaking wet hair fresh after a co-wash with Giovanni Direct Leave-in along with the whipped gelly.
pic of twists are attached ...

twist out
twistout_jun1-vi.jpg

front-twist out
twistout_jun3-vi.jpg

you can check out my fotki...although the only thing I've had great results with has been the twist outs now that I started making the twists smaller...

Attachments

• med twists3.jpg
    med twists3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Since you're an NYC girl, yes they are! Lucky you! You can find the Lustrasilk Shea Butter and Mango Conditioner in Sally's are almost any BSS. Shea Butter and Sheamoisture Shea Butter Leave In can also be found in a some BSS.

Nice!!!! Brooklyn in da house....:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Your sister's hair appears to be a similar grade to my hair. I've tried a lot of products and styles.
One product (got2b kinky curling mouse) that I really like, defines my curls (parts of my hair resist curl). Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Moisturizing Treatment is a good styling conditioner. What I really love and generally only need to purchase annually is...
UBH (ultra black hair lotion creme moisturizer) but you can only get it online at http://www.ultrablackhair.com/products/ProductOrdering.html#creme
I also like Queen Helene styling gel because it doesn't contain alcohol and it can be reapplied daily, also it doesn't flake and it doesn't make your hair stiff.

I haven't posted any recent pics of my hair styles lately but I recommend that you not comb out your curls once your done rinsing out the conditioner. I comb my hair after the conditioner has been in for a few hours or over night and then I rinse and style.
Most of my styles were found online and member MSA, suggested some good sources.
Have fun experimenting and go with what works for you. Don't be afraid of mixing styles.

Last edited:
Back