SILKEN CHILD MOISTURIZER...was anyone else dissappointed?

truthbetold

I normally use ORS hair lotion or Elasta Mango butter, but a couple of weeks ago Silken was on sale at Sally's--and I just hate paying $6 for that ORS. I moisturized with it after an Aphogee 2 min recon and dc. My hair did not respond. In fact my hair was so dry I thought I might be experiencing protein overload. So I cowashed everday until my next dc. Used it again--this time doctored up with EVOO, almond and coconut oils. Still not impressed. I guess that's what I get for being cheap, but dang its a recession.

It works when it feels like for me. I used it yesterday and sealed with coconut oil. My hair is so soft but on other days its dry city.

Last edited:
I bought some over the weekend and will be using it tonight. I will follow up and let you know how it goes.....

Thanks to Traycee from KISS, I bought some last week and absolutely love it for roller sets. I usually DC and then add Giovanni Direct Leave In, the Silken Child, followed by a little serum. My hair has never felt so moisturized.

Sorry your hair didn't respond. I'll take your bottle :grin::grin:

I like it. I used it along with some aloe vera gel for my twistout last week and my hair came out lovely. I didn't have to moisturize until day 5.

Maybe it works as a leave in on wet hair but on dry hair it did nothing for me so I gave it to my hubby.

I gave it away.

I bought 5 bottles, gave away to my sis (she hates it too), sold one and My SO is using one. I will not buy again. I thought my hair was soft yesterday since I used the coconut oil. I just woke up this morning to crispy hair. :ohwell:

:nono: I wasn't impressed with this at all. My hair ended up being a dry crunchy mess, just like when I tried Cantu leave-in. It went in my hair feeling fine and by the end of the day, my hair felt extra dry. I had to make sure that the bottle said moisturizer and not hardener.

It works for me every time since day one, I love it. When I take down my buns, twist or large platts they are sooo soft and moisturized.

Thanks to Traycee from KISS, I bought some last week and absolutely love it for roller sets. I usually DC and then add Giovanni Direct Leave In, the Silken Child, followed by a little serum. My hair has never felt so moisturized.

Sorry your hair didn't respond. I'll take your bottle :grin::grin:

I purchased due in part to Traycee's endorsement as well. Its funny how what works on one head may not work on another. I think I may just use the rest in my dc mix---the ingredients are so on point I just can't let it go to waste.

Last edited:
Isn't it for virgin hair? For children? Maybe it doesn't respond well to relaxed hair.

I'm not sure it's for virgin hair, but it is probably for young users of the SE (silk elements) silken child kit. As such, it probably assumes that your hair is curly. Even though my hair is "relaxed" it's proably closer to textlaxed, at least in the crown, since my hair is not "bone" straight, unless I apply heat to it. Maybe that's why it works for me.

Yeah, I tried this moisturizer a while back it made my hair crunchy did not work for me,well you win some and you lose some what can u do.

I had bought some of this a while ago and just found the bottle yesterday (under the sink, behind the pipe, in the back, in the corner, in the dark). I tried it on my air-dried hair and sealed with some sweet almond oil; so far so good!

I think after reading this thread...I will avoid it.
I've only tried the Silken Child Conditioner.
I like the sweet smell but I didn't hate it or love it.

It's a good detangler on wet hair, on dry hair it's blah...I haven't used it in a while (I have 3 bottles left) because my HE LTR leave-in seems to top all of my moisturizers/leave-ins

:nono: I wasn't impressed with this at all. My hair ended up being a dry crunchy mess, just like when I tried Cantu leave-in. It went in my hair feeling fine and by the end of the day, my hair felt extra dry. I had to make sure that the bottle said moisturizer and not hardener.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: sorry but that was so funny.

Back