Silicones in Natural Hair

soulchild

Are serums and polishers damaging to natural hair? I heard it was but you ladies seem to like them. Perhaps it's only for relaxed hair? Any input or personal experience is appreciated
wink.gif

I use 'em on my braids after a wash. If they do harm, I haven't noticed. I actually like the smooth feel I get after my hair dries out (I use them when my hair is wet) just before I spray on Dew. I liked John Frieda's and now love L'Oreal. Only switched because everyone raved about L'Oreal. Haven't noticed any difference from JF's. I would like to read the logic of whoever said they are damaging to natural hair because I would think processed hair is even more delicate than natural. So if they're bad to natural hair then they have got to be evil for processed.
look.gif

I use them pretty much daily as my last layer in preping my ponytail/bun. So far so good. It really helps with the fly-aways and the hair that's still too short to reach the pony tail too. So far-So good!
smile.gif

I never heard that either. I use a silicone spray for gloss sometimes, and never had problems.

With the exception of products containing amodimethicone, which is water soluble, I have to use silicones sparingly because it builds up on my hair too quick and ends up drying my hair if I use it everyday. I use it occasionally when I want my hair to look shiny and glossy, but I think u can get the same effects from non cone products such as oils (jojoba, coconut) and glycerine.

[ QUOTE ]
With the exception of products containing amodimethicone, which is water soluble, I have to use silicones sparingly because it builds up on my hair too quick and ends up drying my hair if I use it everyday. I use it occasionally when I want my hair to look shiny and glossy, but I think u can get the same effects from non cone products such as oils (jojoba, coconut) and glycerine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for reminding me...I used to use a product call Hask Pure Shine Spary-on Luminator years ago. I stopped using it because I notice after using it for awhile my ends would become dry (shiny but dry = breakage unchecked). I went and got what's left of it out of my closet (PJ...must label why no use) and the ingredients are:

Cyclomethicone, Isodecane, dimethicone, Octyl p-Methoxycinnamate, Propylparaben, Fragrance

I also have IC Corrective Response Complex (presently not using) but there isn't an Ingredients listing. Does anyone know if it's made with "Cones"?

Back