Sigh...My Twists Look Sooo..Thin

MizzBrit

tonight i experimented with some 2 strand twist fir the first time and while i think they are nice..the way they look from the front is so not fitting me..my head is round and big..and the twist looks body-less,volume-less and short:nono:.any tips to make them look thicker and fuller? or will they look better when my hair grows more?i mean my hair is thick..but it just dnt appear that way once i did the twist. seeing all these other naturals with nice thick twist..i wish mine looked the same way!i did them on dry hair with some eco gel on the twist and shea butter on the ends.any advice is welcomed.(pics included)

Attachments

• 2h5p9xw.jpg
    2h5p9xw.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 2q19gxz.jpg
    2q19gxz.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 106
  • 2hnav86.jpg
    2hnav86.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 159
  • snf9fn.jpg
    snf9fn.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 1trhx2.jpg
    1trhx2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I :love: them!!!! Especially the twists up in a ponytail!

Naturals on the board have mentioned wetting the twists plumps them up... so maybe after your first cowash/wash, you'll notice them looking more full!

You have beautiful hair!

MizzBrit....you hair is Fab! I feel the only reason you may feel it looks thin is because you twisted on dry hair which stretched out your strands---I have not twisted on dry hair but on damp hair I noticed my hair was plump (and shorter-Shrinkage sux) :)

Gurrrrl my fro is large but will condense when I do twist or braids...

so in order to plump up your twist next time twist while damp....

now you can run your twist under some water, twist the twist you have in larger twist sections (like a twist out, but keep the twist you already have twisted) untwist the larger twist for texture and let them plump up...

MizzBrit I actually love your twist. If you can manage to keep them in that pretty ponytail or in the half up/ half down look - you will be fine.

I can see where you think they look thin when all the twist are down though. Your twist out will look great if you choose to go that route as well.

honey, mine look the same way, and they are CONSIDERABLY different from the luscious twists my 4b sister is able to rock. i made a thread on it last year and from all the (shockingly) positive comments, an outsider would have thought i was posting for attention. i have NOT attempted to plump up my twists since then...as a matter of fact, i have had twists twice since, and both times they were fattened up with good old kanekalon -- so i stick to making large chunky twists (no more than 10 on my head) and airdrying them for twistouts.

now i can say that from the outside in, they are very nice looking. maybe do like others suggested and wear them up, or untwist them for a very defined twistout.

I think they are gorgeous all around! But I do agree with everyone else, if you want them thicker, do them on wet hair. However, you will loose length as they shrink up.

I think the trick is making your twists smaller than that. You are close, but not small enough to get the fullness. Plus, after a day or two, a little humidity will hit your hair and thicken it up some. Continue to moisten them w/your butters at least once a day (and twirl the ends). If you want them to look longer, you have to blowdry your hair prior to twisting (which is what I always do) You can see my thickness in my pic- well, when I put my hair in small twists, people always ask if they are kinky twist extensions. This is how I have my hair right now. Don't be afraid to go smaller- just do your hair in sessions. Check out LHCF member fotki, Ms Lala, http://members.fotki.com/Ms-Lala/about/. She has some of the best twists on dry hair; her hair is 4a/b and password is in profile. (check the 02-06 album for the best examples of fulness)

Note: when i do bigger twists like yours and they look too "thin" to me, I just keep them in an updo (french roll, hair claw, etc), w/a side bang (swept sometimes) to keep it stylin'!

Last edited:
I think the trick is making your twists smaller than that. You are close, but not small enough to get the fullness. Plus, after a day or two, a little humidity will hit your hair and thicken it up some. Continue to moisten them w/your butters at least once a day (and twirl the ends). If you want them to look longer, you have to blowdry your hair prior to twisting (which is what I always do) You can see my thickness in my pic- well, when I put my hair in small twists, people always ask if they are kinky twist extensions. This is how I have my hair right now. Don't be afraid to go smaller- just do your hair in sessions. Check out LHCF member fotki, Ms Lala, http://members.fotki.com/Ms-Lala/about/. She has some of the best twists on dry hair; her hair is 4a/b and password is in profile.

Note: when i do bigger twists like yours and they look too "thin" to me, I just keep them in an updo (french roll, hair claw, etc), w/a side bang (swept sometimes) too keep it stylin'!
:yep: i agree with your whole post!
your avatar is lovely-your hair is gorgeous.
@ MizzBritt-don't underestimate the power of accessories-add a feather, a flower, a cute barette, a bow...:yep:

It looks as if you may be twisting/twirling each individual section of the 2 strand twist before you cross them over each other. That can cause the twists to look thinner. Try it and notice your fingers to see if you do it unconciously.

Your twists are gorgeous. Especially the bun. I wish mine were as thick as yours.

Anyway, go wet them and then let them airdry. They should plump up more.

Thanks ladies so much
i actually wetted them and let them air dry..even thought they looked better..i still didnt like them..ima try again wwith all yall tips when my hair is a lil longer.
i actually took them out today and just rocked a twistout defined puff..

To be honest, i dont see anything wrong with them. I like them. I dont think they look thin at all. You should rock them.

Girl, your twists are beautiful and they do not look thin to me! Have you see how mine look before I wet them?
TwistsBeforeandAfter-vi.jpg

After a few more CWs they look even fuller and fatter:
AfterTwistingICWtoFattenTwists-vi.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with them. You can do a side part to frame your face better, your head cannot be bigger than mine lol!!! And then as someone suggested, do them smaller.

Girl, your twists are beautiful and they do not look thin to me! Have you see how mine look before I wet them?
TwistsBeforeandAfter-vi.jpg

After a few more CWs they look even fuller and fatter:
AfterTwistingICWtoFattenTwists-vi.jpg

oooh! yes i see the the plumpness..too bad i took them out and never gave them a chance:ohwell:
i will try steady co washing next time.

Back