Side Effects of Using A Very Gentle Relaxer?

vtoodler

Side Effects of Using A Relaxer That's Too Mild

Many relaxers come in several formulations: fine, normal and coarse.

I have extremely thick, 4b hair. However, I don't like to use coarse relaxers because I'm nervous that it could overprocess my hair.

Hence, I was wondering if there are any side effects to using a relaxer that's formulated for normal hair? Could this negatively affect my hair or scalp in any way?

Last edited:
Um for the most part I think that it will just take longer for your hair to process if the relaxer is too mild. Or the relaxer wont take as well

just use the coarse resistant one and leave it in less time.....or mix oil in it to slow down the processing time. the milder foermula is not likely to take.

@vtoddler I thought you were transitioning. When did you decide to relax again?

As for the relaxer, I don't think using a milder relaxer will do your hair any harm. Like the other ladies said, your hair just will maybe be slightly underprocessed.

I was worried about overprocessing when I was switching back to a relaxer, so I got a Phyto relaxer. It is very expensive, but if applied correctly it won't overprocess your hair even with the Type 2 which is for normal to coarse hair. It's normal strength, but it works much more slowly than other relaxers.

I have fine, tightly coiled strands that straighten very quickly, so it's extremely tricky not to overprocess it with most relaxers. So I've been very pleased that it's been a year and I haven't had any breakage from overprocessing.

Now some people complain about dryness with this relaxer, but it's nothing a good moisturizing DC won't cure. For me, the peace of mind that comes with not having to worry about overprocessing is worth it.

@vtoddler I thought you were transitioning. When did you decide to relax again?

As for the relaxer, I don't think using a milder relaxer will do your hair any harm. Like the other ladies said, your hair just will maybe be slightly underprocessed.

My hair is actually all natural right now.

However, my natural hair is very hard to manage, so I'm thinking of returning to relaxers. I haven't made any final decisions and probably won't for a couple of months. I first want to do as much research as possible.

just get a mild or regular relaxer and don't leave it on as long as the required time. just enough to loosen some of your kinks if thts what u r seeking.

My hair is actually all natural right now.

However, my natural hair is very hard to manage, so I'm thinking of returning to relaxers. I haven't made any final decisions and probably won't for a couple of months. I first want to do as much research as possible.

Ahhhh ok. Gotcha. You're at the right place for research on the topic. Hopefully some of the relaxed ladies can help you out a bit.

I use to use coarse relaxers but I couldn't stand the bone straight look. So I switch to regular and it leaves a hint of texture even when left on for 20 mins, which also gets on my nerves but I'll never win. smh. You should start regular if you do decide to relax. Just to be safe. :)

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

I think using a regular or mild is best. I returned to relaxers and I use mild and relax in 4 sections for 7 minutes on each section. I still have a lot of texture in my hair but now I'm able to rollerset too. I don't think anyone who chooses to relax "needs" a super.

Back