Shrinkage can be deceiving

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
B

Bublnbrnsuga

About 2 days ago, I decided to blow dry my hair. I was really shocked to see how shrinkage with natural hair can really fool ya. As I proceeded to blow dry,I noticed that my hair reaches my shoulders,versus when it is in it's shrunken state,my hair is just below my earlobes. I look so different with my hair like this that I am going to make an appointment to get my hair either pressed or flatironed before the summer heat takes its toll. I'm so excited!

i know how you feel. i didn't realize how much hair i had til i started with protective styling and UNDID it and combed my hair out. so BIGNTHICK!!! my hair naturally shrinks to like 2 inches or less!!!!!!

i am almost tempted to buy a ceramic flat iron and straighten my hair in the next year or so. i wouldn't use any higher than a medium-low heat setting.

I feel ya. Mine shriks by 50% in some spots, but my hair isn't curly. I can't explain it..
ohwell.gif
shrinkage is something else!

Girl,back before I had a perm, I used to wash and blow dry my hair WHILE WET every two weeks. I used no-no products and everything and guess what? My hair grew anyway. I was just thinking about all of the patience I had with my hair during those times and it was longer then,but now, I really don't feel like trying. At first I wanted to buy a ceramic iron,but after that night of blow drying I don't think so. I was tired after blow drying the first section! I am just going to pay someone to deal with all of this hair.

[ QUOTE ]
NapturalGlory said:
i know how you feel. i didn't realize how much hair i had til i started with protective styling and UNDID it and combed my hair out. so BIGNTHICK!!! my hair naturally shrinks to like 2 inches or less!!!!!!

i am almost tempted to buy a ceramic flat iron and straighten my hair in the next year or so. i wouldn't use any higher than a medium-low heat setting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey girl-are you a member of Nappturality.com? You look familiar...

[ QUOTE ]
Bublnbrnsuga said:
[ QUOTE ]
NapturalGlory said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey girl-are you a member of Nappturality.com? You look familiar...

[/ QUOTE ]

yup... i am afronappy there. i want a change of pace for awhile so i'm posting here.

That is what I love about natural hair. It is so FLEXIBLE! One day a coily puff...the next day stretched curls. And if I ever decide to wear it straight...I cannot wait to see the look on my Mamma's face when she sees how long it is. She might have a stroke! I will have to warn her a day in advance.

[ QUOTE ]
Bublnbrnsuga said:
Girl,back before I had a perm, I used to wash and blow dry my hair WHILE WET every two weeks. I used no-no products and everything and guess what? My hair grew anyway. I was just thinking about all of the patience I had with my hair during those times and it was longer then,but now, I really don't feel like trying. At first I wanted to buy a ceramic iron,but after that night of blow drying I don't think so. I was tired after blow drying the first section! I am just going to pay someone to deal with all of this hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here! I'm gonna get someone else to do it.

Yeah our hair has less elasticity...After I take my hair our from a rollerst, it does not even reach my bra strap hanging down.....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I have a ton of new growth and shrinkage. My last relaxer was Oct. 2003. I still do daily co washes. I am determine to make it to my birthday which is July 1st.

[ QUOTE ]
Bublnbrnsuga said:
...I noticed that my hair reaches my shoulders,versus when it is in it's shrunken state,my hair is just below my earlobes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have just documented this in my hair album. Since the big chop, I have gotten used to not having hair graze my neck. The other day, I applied conditioner mixed with oil and detangled with a Denman brush. My hair is back to my shoulders! I was shocked and tried to shrink it back up. I guess it's gonna take a little while, though cause my shake n go is still hanging longer than usual. Gotta love shrinkage!

I know what you mean.
smile.gif
I get about 25% shrinkage and had never had a Dominican blowout since transitioning until Easter. While she was blowdrying, I was like, is that my hair?
laugh.gif
After she was done, my hair fell comfortably at my shoulderblades and about four inches from brastrap (including my relaxed ends).

Chichi
bdance.gif

Chi, do you have an album? I'd sure like to know what detangling conditioners and moisturizers you use, for that thick hair
smile.gif
What's your regimine.

bee, though I don't have an album, you could see what most of my hair looks like, if you view my sister's hair in my avatar. We have the same 2C hair type. Only thing is, mine is a little thicker and has relaxed ends.

My regime:
Bargello type vitamins, every day.
Conditioner wash once a week with VO5.
Shampoo with KeraCare Detangling Shampoo and condition with KeraCare Humecto conditioner.
I use Hemectress as a leave-in as well as the KeraCare leave-in conditioner sometimes.

My hair styles are the braidout bun, regular braidouts, and the occasional Dominican blowout on special occasions.

So far so good, I have been transitioning for close to six months now and I don't have any problems with shedding, tangling, or breakage.

Chichi
bdance.gif

Boy tell me about it. You can see from my pics. Sometimes I forget and when I look at my hair it seems as if its not making much progress then when I press it the length shows. Right now its in braids (which I did myself). I plan to color it jet black when it gets longer. hopefully by the end of the summer.

Well Im planning on not blowing my hair out for a full year...its going to be easier than I thought because my blowdryer died yesterday. I cant wait till I see my results next April!
smile.gif

Shrinkage or better yet, STRETCHAGE, is a quality that is very unique to our hair. What other hair on earth can look short one day, longer the next, and back to short the following day, without actual cutting or extensions? Don't you guys love having hair that's UNIQUE!!!
grin.gif

I have like 90% shrinkage, so my hair can shrink to a 1 inch afro which I actually like because once in a while, I'm in the mood for shorter hair. The only problem is that when I let my hair shrink all it wants, I get too many tangles when I have to wash it.
frown.gif

I've had non-black co-workers wanting to touch my hair one day after I came to work with a shrunken afro. They could not believe I did not cut my hair. I let them pull strands of my hair and they had a kick watching it shrink right back.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bublnbrnsuga said:
About 2 days ago, I decided to blow dry my hair. I was really shocked to see how shrinkage with natural hair can really fool ya. As I proceeded to blow dry,I noticed that my hair reaches my shoulders,versus when it is in it's shrunken state,my hair is just below my earlobes. I look so different with my hair like this that I am going to make an appointment to get my hair either pressed or flatironed before the summer heat takes its toll. I'm so excited!

[/ QUOTE ]

clap.gif

I'm glad you're enjoying the options you have with your hair.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
missykeyana said:
Shrinkage is lovely! I can be whatever length I want, nyah-nyah!
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

I have about 50% shrinkage, I love it. Everyone at work gets a kick out of my hair when I wear my shrunken twists(done on wet hair) and then I come to work 2 weeks later with my blown dry twists and vice versa.
clap.gif
And don't let me wear my hair straigtened in the back or my BAA, they really have a fit!
spinning.gif
I love it!

Back