Should I use Aphogee on texlaxed hair ? Please give advice.

zoromo

Hello Ladies,
I have a question. I have been natural for much of my adult life with a few periods of relaxed moments. Anyway, my natural hair has always been so dry no matter what I did. I feel like after 6 inches or so my hair does not flourish much and I always want to clip it b/c it feels dry. When I was relaxed my hair was never brittle. I think I have low porosity hair ( it floats and never sinks in water). I texlaxed my hair lightly and hoped that this would help rid me of some of the ssks and help me with the brittle ends. Needless to say, it is still dry though it knots have only been reduced a little.

Can you all give me your opinion about aphogee. Is it a bad idea for lightly texlaxed hair? I bought the regular treatment and I think I should have gotten the 2-min treatment. Should I take it back? Please sound off on your experiences. How do I know if I have the correct protein moisture balance?

I'm texlaxed & I've used Aphogee 2 step a week before I relax (every 4 months). However, I didn't use it before the last time I relaxed & I didn't notice a difference. My hair was just as thick & strong after the relaxer this time without Aphogee.

I think using protein, especially a strong one like Aphogee 2-step, is a very personal thing. Using it routinely at scheduled times doesn't make sense. I think you should "listen" to your hair & use it when needed. If your hair is feeling strong, don't use it. If your hair is feeling a bit weak & you notice a little extra shedding, use it.

That's going to be my new routine for 2012. I'm only going to use the 2-step treatment when my hair needs it.

I think you should keep the 2-step so that you'll have it on hand if you need it. However, if you haven't noticed any weakness or extra shedding, I'd opt for the weaker protein treatment.

Sent from my iPhone.

if your hair is weak and in need of protein then go ahead and use what u feel u need. You being texlaxed has nothing to do with what protein you need.

I'm natural and use it. I do use it on a schedule as a preventive measure, as I find it works best for me that way, but every head is different. Definitely keep your moisture levels up; that's the biggest problem a lot of women have with the treatment. I just did one yesterday and my hair is SO happy right now :yep:. Good luck.

I think it's best if you take care of the porosity of your hair first. Have you tried using Roux's porosity control conditioner? Or perhaps you can use apple cider vinegar and some cool water rinse. Mix about 2 tspn of ACV in 2 cups of water and pour the mixture over your hair after shampooing and deep moisture conditioning.

A week later you could try using the Aphogee 2 step protein treatment but only when and if your hair actually needs it. I would go more with the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor though because the proteins are milder and would still work at strengthening your hair. It is mild enough to use once weekly.

The best way to know if you need more protein is to do the stretch test. Gently tug at/stretch a strand of your hair (while dry) and if the hair stretches quite a bit before it breaks, then you have too much moisture and is need of some good protein treatment but if it breaks immediately, concentrate your efforts on deep moisturizing treatments. HTH!

Thank you Aggie for giving me the test info. I will most def do that. I feel that you are right. I went in for the 2 min. treatment because I read that it was milder, but after talking to the sales person, I went with the other one and should have went with my first thought. I never tried Roux before, but I may have to pick it up. Many ladies on here have mentioned, but I rarely see it when I am out at getting products.

I think it's best if you take care of the porosity of your hair first. Have you tried using Roux's porosity control conditioner? Or perhaps you can use apple cider vinegar and some cool water rinse. Mix about 2 tspn of ACV in 2 cups of water and pour the mixture over your hair after shampooing and deep moisture conditioning.

A week later you could try using the Aphogee 2 step protein treatment but only when and if your hair actually needs it. I would go more with the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor though because the proteins are milder and would still work at strengthening your hair. It is mild enough to use once weekly.

The best way to know if you need more protein is to do the stretch test. Gently tug at/stretch a strand of your hair (while dry) and if the hair stretches quite a bit before it breaks, then you have too much moisture and is need of some good protein treatment but if it breaks immediately, concentrate your efforts on deep moisturizing treatments. HTH!

@ Ronnieeaj, I may try the light version first and then if my hair responds I may move up.
@ shortdub78, I deep condish with heat and it does not help much past the first day.

Thank you ladies for responding.

@ Ronnieeaj, I may try the light version first and then if my hair responds I may move up.
@ shortdub78, I deep condish with heat and it does not help much past the first day.

Thank you ladies for responding.

You rae quite welcomed zoromo

Back