Should I surge my scalp while in braids?

kristina

I'm confused- I've been told (by the braid lady) that you should avoid spraying the scalp except after washing to avoid nasty buildup that makes taking down the braids so difficult. Yet, I really want to start surging to see if it actually works and it's so much easier to use in braids. Does anyone who's had synthetic indivduals used surge on the scalp? If so, did it making the take down difficult? TIA.

This isn't a direct reply to the surge question but I have found that the more often I wash my hair, when I have braids, the less buildup I have when it's time to take them out. I also like to take my braids out when they are damp/wet but this might not work for eveyone. There's also sprays specifically for taking braids out (or use a detangler/conditioner/moisturizer), so I think that you could combat any 'buildup.'

The first time I ever got braids done, I knew nothing and followed the instructions to not wash it, and I didn't add any products. So two months later there was no buildup from sprays, but some of them were well on their way to locking :ohwell: this is why I don't care if they look fuzzy, I must wash them.

I used surge with my cornrows and oiled my scalp with no problems I washed my hair once a week my hair.
My braid were not hard to take down I used unbraid my Better Braids.
I had mega newgrowth cant wait to braid my hair again.

kristina said:
I'm confused- I've been told (by the braid lady) that you should avoid spraying the scalp except after washing to avoid nasty buildup that makes taking down the braids so difficult. Yet, I really want to start surging to see if it actually works and it's so much easier to use in braids. Does anyone who's had synthetic indivduals used surge on the scalp? If so, did it making the take down difficult? TIA.

This is my experience.

While my hair grew like weeds in braids after using Surge, braid spray and Infusium, I had a few problems.

I shampooed my hair weekly with diluted Cream of Nature shampoo, and sprayed my whole scalp area 2-3 times daily with surge, I got some burns on my scalp because of this. This had never happened prior to braiding my hair. Once my scalp was burned, I then started oiling the scalp with braid food and applying oils, therefore I got lots of build-up at the base of the braid.

When I was taking out the braids (I had them in for about 14 weeks, just over 3 months) my hair was severely matted especially in the back kitchen area and it was very difficult to take out the braids without breakage even when I used the Better braids unbraid spray.

Let me also add that I had a combination of cornrows and singles. The cornrows came off without any problems, but the singles, which were mostly at the back gave a lot of problems especially because I had lots of growth and the hair had been hanging in some parts pulling my hair. The part where the braid met the hair was where the matted had occurred.

Anyway, all said and done, this was my personal experience which would differ from another person's. AJamericanDiva has a useful post, check it out here
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=22176&highlight=diva%27s+personal

Back