Should I Stretch????

asubeauty

Okay, so here's my problem:

I'm pretty far away from home, and I don't have a car. :sad: I usually get a touch up after 8 or 9 weeks, but as of right now, I have NO WAY to get one while I'm here. When I got here, I was four weeks past touch up. Now I'm about seven weeks and I am worried. My hair doesn't do well with stretching relaxers, and I'm loosing hair like crazy. I have so much breakage! I'm trying to wear a bun, but I don't have a scarf to tie it up (I ordered one from tenderheaded.com, but that's another thread.) When I comb my hair down, it looks so thin!! I know that it may look thin because I need a touch up and my roots are so thick, but I still hate it!!
Do you think that I should try to stretch while I'm here?? If I do, it will be for 14 weeks... I have never gone past 10 weeks. I don't self relax, but should I try?? I'm looking for any suggestions. TIA.

Right now I am just bunning it every day. Once a week I wash and condition it with CON, use NTM silk touch leave in, rollerset, and bun. Right now I am using a moisturizer, and it makes my hair look kind of thin, so I can only wear it up. I have to wear a bun because my ponytail looks kind of thin right now.

So you would be realxing 4 weeks later than normal? or 14 weeks later than normal?

I think it depends on you. If your hair doesn't do well with stretching you have to decide if self relaxing will be more or less of an evil to your hair. On MY hair, waiting would be the lesser of two evils. Doing as little as possible (that means not even styling it everyday if you don't have to) should be the order of the day. But for some, stretching really is an awful thing and self relaxing is really the better option, no matter how bad it could it go.

It depends on you and your hair.

sounds like you have no other options...have you tried doing braidouts/twistouts so that you can blend the texture of the NG with the permed hair? That can help out some, try to do co-washes they help with tangles big time. Also be strict on your deep treatments to combat breakage. Sometimes deep treatments can be drying, try putting on a moisturizing conditioner afterwards or mix olive oil (extra virgin) into your deep treatments.

gorgeoushair said:
What kind of moisturizer are you using?

Right now I am using Optimum Oil Therapy Oil Moisturizer (in the yellow bottle). It's okay, but it has mineral oil.

I can't find mango butter or s-curl here. :sad:

Alli77 said:
sounds like you have no other options...have you tried doing braidouts/twistouts so that you can blend the texture of the NG with the permed hair? That can help out some, try to do co-washes they help with tangles big time. Also be strict on your deep treatments to combat breakage. Sometimes deep treatments can be drying, try putting on a moisturizing conditioner afterwards or mix olive oil (extra virgin) into your deep treatments.

I tried a twistout... It came out so badly I was too embarrassed to post pics. :lol: I guess that I'll keep practicing.

When I tried to stretch relaxers past 6 weeks..... my hair broke sooooo badly that I literally had hair everywhere. I've learned to use leave ins.... Fructis long and strong, NTM, and MNT. Recently I mixed MNT with water and olive oil and it's worked like a dream. Girl I kid you not, my hair is not breaking and I can run my fingers through it without feeling like my hand's caught in a bear trap. :lachen: I'm 6 weeks post relaxer and I got a mini jungle under this perm!!! Thanks MTG. :D I think the longest i've ever gone is 12-10 weeks but since i've been learning tips and tricks from the sisters on the site, my hair's in much better condition. I hope this helps some.....

Back