should i start over again?

ConstantlyDynamic

hey everyone:)

so i've been feeling a little down about my hair because it's so dry and has been breaking so much. i've been reading a lot of the material on here so i know what i've been doing wrong BUT i'm trying to figure out if i should cut off most of my hair, get synthetic braids, and start over or whether i can just work with the hair i have now. can my hair rehabilitate? i have to add that i've been flat-ironing my hair whenever i'm frustrated (lol if you knew me and how bad i am at that type of stuff, you would know it was a very bad idea-hen my hair stylist did it, it looked great but i screwed up for sure). i've had ends that didn't revert and i had to cut them off. so yeah heat has been another source of damage and this is all in like 2 or 3 weeks.

in all, my hair has changed A LOT from when i was a pre-teen. my hair was a lot easier to manage (easy to comb through), didn't break a lot, was soft etc. and now it keeps breaking even when straight so i know something is wrong. i'm just not sure whether i can keep the hair i have and "nurse" it back to health. that's what i'd like to do because i really want to work with my hair and not do braids anymore (i had them for 2 years and i'm tired of them). not sure if anyone has taken that route but i'd like to hear some stories or opinions

thanks

I wouldn't get my hair braided with synthetic hair if it were already damaged(covering it up sometimes keeps you from getting rid of the damage)...but I would give it a cut as needed. Wash and condition it well. Then braid or bun my own hair and not mess it with except for once a week for washing conditioning and restyling in a simple style.

yeah i'm so sick of wearing braids. guess i should try and work with my hair as is and keep cutting off damaged sections. i just flat-ironed my hair yesterday so i'm going to try& wash it tomorrow and start on your suggestion. can't wait to see what new damage i did :ohwell: hopefully i can fix it.

STAY AWAY FROM THE HEAT! I started abusing heat when I thought I was cute last year and had to cut my hair from bsl to sl! It was a very sad thing. I've used heat 3 times (2 flatirons, 3 blow dries) since starting my healthy hair journey last June and my hair is very happy with me! I didn't want to give advice because I'm relaxed and I didn't have a regimen when I was natural. But obviously abusing heat is your problem so I say get you a nice trim and start taking better care of your hair. Develop a reggie and keep that hair moisturized and protected and keep manipulation very limited. I like the idea Lylddlebit gave except I CANNOT go an entire week without wetting my scalp (my scalp is VERY dry and needs to some moisture). You may not be like that, but you CAN wash your hair while still keeping it protected if need be. I keep my hair in 4 braids as I rinse or co-wash.

But that's my input: Trim, conditioning, protective styles, low manipulation!

Back