Should I relax?

Vinyl

I know I started this exact same thread last year... I decided not to relax and go with locks.

I'm feeling really dissatisfied with them. I love the style and the wash and go/ease of it, and it'd be the perfect style for me except for the shrinkage.

I was determined to stick it out, except recently I lost 2 locks right in the front b/c I didn't get them retightening soon enough/moisturize them. Normally I would consider this a setback and keep trucking, but it just made me realize how unhappy I am with them on a day to day basis.

I've been thinking of relaxing, but I've never had a good experience with them even with LHCF. (In fact, I didn't actually relax before LHCF, lol.)

I tried it a few years ago, and I ended up with burns/scabs almost every time and the relaxer -never- took.

It was awhile ago (I was 14-15), so my selection in stylists/relaxer types may not have been that great. But I also have a tender scalp so I don't know if that means relaxers just aren't for me... plus I have no idea why not one managed to straighten my hair.

I'd be willing to try again, except I know that if I take this set down I won't be able to get another for a few years. So I'm really hesitant. I can't afford/don't want braids/weaves again (no money for weaves, hurts to get braids frequently), and I'm very tenderheaded so when I tried various natural styles I could barely comb through my hair for them to work. So for me it is relaxer or locks...

Has anyone been through something similar and managed to get the relaxers to actually work/end up with good results? Or anyone that has/had locks want to share reasons they did/didn't stick it out?

That's kind of a personal question. If you were to relax, would you be doing it because you want straight hair styles more than not, or you feel your hair will be more manageable for you. Maybe you could try loose natrual again. My scalp is very tender as well and i havent experienced soreness.

I don't really wear hairstyles TBH.. for me it is either ponytail or down. :laugh: Although if I did relax I would wear protective styles.

I like my hair locked and straight, I just like the length relaxing would give me.

i don't think relaxing is the answer to any hair question. so if i were you, i wouldn't. if it's shrinkage you're worried about, why not rock twists / twistouts, or try banding to stretch out the hair? you could try curlformers to stretch your hair out flat from the root. you could get it pressed, and if you truly get bored with it, check out hairsisters.com for affordable wigs & have a bit of fun!

i'd take healthy thick versatile natural hair over relaxed hair any day. & this is coming from someone who's relaxed for over 16 years :yep:

How did you detangle when you were a loose natural? Maybe revamping that can help you with your tenderheadedness. If you decide to take out your locs (if you truly aren't enjoying them it would be masochistic to keep them in) allow your hair to breathe because after being loc'd for so long, your strands may be too weak and somewhat damaged (from taking them out) to stand chemically straightening.

I would give being a new natural another shot and see how to change your regimen for that to keep it simple without you being in pain from detangling.

In the end it's your choice I just don't want you to regret it...

Back