Should I relax?

tthreat08

Ladies,

I've been thinking. If I relax my hair, I could do roller sets and not have to flat iron the roots (which takes a minute for me to do)....and never HAVE to use heat to go straight. I'm only thinking about it, but I wanted to get your opinions.

On one hand, I like my curls....but I can't really enjoy them beacuse I'm terrified of knots (had to cut two inches once after wearinng hair out natural for a whole summer and then realized i had all these little knots and crap)...Then on the OTHER hand, I really want to enjoy my hair more often...and roller sets would be easy for me with relaxed hair as opposed to my curly hair...What'cha think???

if you're using excessive heat you'll be doing more damage than just going ahead and relaxing your hair and cutting out the heat.

if you're going to continue to use heat a lot you might as well stay natural, excessive heat and realaxers don't mix

I'm gonna be watching this thread because I'm looking for basically the same things. However, I am already relaxed. I want to grow out my relaxer and be natural just for the health benefits (I want to do away with chemicals). However, I am so accustomed to straight hair. It's the only thing I wear and I absolutely love it when my hair is straight. If I go natural, I know I'd damage my hair even worst by putting heat on it to get it straight.

I don't know what to do. I wish there was a heat-free/chemical-free way to get natural hair silky straight. *sighs*

MsDee4 said:
if you're using excessive heat you'll be doing more damage than just going ahead and relaxing your hair and cutting out the heat.

if you're going to continue to use heat a lot you might as well stay natural, excessive heat and realaxers don't mix

I don't use excessive heat....I really hardly ever use heat....which is why I am bored out of my skull with wearing a bun most of the time. I was thinking I might be able to free myself more often if I relax because I won't have the issue of being scared to use heat to get straight when I would like. My hair is currently very healthy, I just want to be able to enjoy wearing it out more often.

ljbee said:
I'm gonna be watching this thread because I'm looking for basically the same things. However, I am already relaxed. I want to grow out my relaxer and be natural just for the health benefits (I want to do away with chemicals). However, I am so accustomed to straight hair. It's the only thing I wear and I absolutely love it when my hair is straight. If I go natural, I know I'd damage my hair even worst by putting heat on it to get it straight.

I don't know what to do. I wish there was a heat-free/chemical-free way to get natural hair silky straight. *sighs*

have you experienced damage as a result of the relaxer?

ljbee said:

ljbee said:

tthreat08 said:
Ladies,

I've been thinking. If I relax my hair, I could do roller sets and not have to flat iron the roots (which takes a minute for me to do)....and never HAVE to use heat to go straight. I'm only thinking about it, but I wanted to get your opinions.

On one hand, I like my curls....but I can't really enjoy them beacuse I'm terrified of knots (had to cut two inches once after wearinng hair out natural for a whole summer and then realized i had all these little knots and crap)...Then on the OTHER hand, I really want to enjoy my hair more often...and roller sets would be easy for me with relaxed hair as opposed to my curly hair...What'cha think???
"Once you relax, you never go back.":perplexed

What if I relax just a lil' bit....tex-lax? Then I can have still a relaxed curl (that probably wouldn't curl up on itself and form a knot), while still enjoying the rollerset because the curl would be relaxed enough to get straigt in a rollerset. What about that?

I've gone back and forth several times after going natural back in 1994. EVERy time and I do mean EVERY time I relaxed I regretted it because I missed the fullness and suppleness of my natural hair.

If I want to go straight I will and can just blow dry and flat iron it. Heat damage you say? I started using Aveda Damage Remedy to maintain my hair's strength. At least this is my plan and experience with this dilemma.

It sounds as if you are looking for justifications for relaxing. Do you - it is only hair and if you do not like it you can always grow it back out. Good luck on your decision.

CurleeDST said:
I've gone back and forth several times after going natural back in 1994. EVERy time and I do mean EVERY time I relaxed I regretted it because I missed the fullness and suppleness of my natural hair.

If I want to go straight I will and can just blow dry and flat iron it. Heat damage you say? I started using Aveda Damage Remedy to maintain my hair's strength. At least this is my plan and experience with this dilemma.

It sounds as if you are looking for justifications for relaxing. Do you - it is only hair and if you do not like it you can always grow it back out. Good luck on your decision.

Gosh! You are sooo right! I just don't know....I look at certain healthy relaxed heads on this board and I want to do it...then here you come with your lovely curls...I'm sooo confused....The decision will come...

Don't do it!!! :D
What do I know?
I'm going through
the same dilemma
Well... I'm 16 wks post relaxer
and I'm thinking of transitioning to natural.
I am bored out of my mind of wearing "the bun"...
but hair does grow 6 inches per year...
so I was thinking...
I can keep doing my bun & cowashing for a year :eek:
and be bored...
Relaxers are like crack... right???
I don't think we need them anymore...
What if you just rollerset and flat ironed the roots?
Ever try Dominican blow-outs...
when I get them... I feel like I never need a relaxer again
but we also have to remember the top reasons why Black women
loose their hair are 1. CHEMICALS 2. HEAT...
I guess we just have to figure out for ourselves
which is the less of the two evils...
I know this is long winded, but its necessary :)

LOL, I don't know I've seen some folks flip flop btwn natural, relaxed, and texlaxed like it was nothing, but hey hair grows back.

I say follow you instincts and be sure a few wks or so from now you won't be mad sad and want to transition or BC.
meaganita said:
"Once you relax, you never go back.":perplexed

Originally posted by SouthernTease
...but we also have to remember the top reasons why Black women
loose their hair are 1. CHEMICALS 2. HEAT...
I guess we just have to figure out for ourselves
which is the less of the two evils...

ITA. And heat is definitely the lesser of the two evils for me.

Back