SHOULD I PERM?

silenttullip

Hey I'm new and I've been natural for 4 years. I'm experiencing mega breakage or KNOTS on my hair. I've clipped ends but it never lasts. I have had a tiny bit of growth and a LOT of thinning in many areas because of seborhea but I think its going away. So now... I don't have anything to do with the natural hair and it's bugging me especially when I cant get it braided cause of money. I want to do a Mizani perm if I can't make these knots go away I dont want to have to chop my haiir always. I want to let it growwwwww.

What should I do. If you give any anti breakage or ideas for knots I'll try but otherwise what perm do u suggest for a sensitive scalp?

WOWWWW Thanks you ladies for all the support.
I'll be honest I haven't deep conditioned in almost a year.
That may be the issue and I just moved to Houston so I don't know how to handle my hair with humidity if that makes any sense but here's my regimen and after I post this I'll read about baggying.

ADDED INFO BASED ON RESPONSES
MY REGIMEN
Aubrey Organics JAY shampoo
JustNatural Dandruff vinegar rinse
Aubrey Organics Cream Rinse Conditioner
and then I put in shea butter and comb through while wet to detangle.
Then I twist after that I am so lost lol

I did purchase nu gro's deep conditioning kit so I'm waiting on it now.

Last edited:
The more knowledgeable will come in here and give you a hand, but I just wanted to say that getting a relaxer may not solve the problem. Whether or not you decide to relax, please take the time to figure out the root of the problem first.

To start, you may want to let everyone know what your regimen is.

Well i am not natural. but try to get your hair in a healthy state before you relax.....

bumping for you for answers

because you are experiencing thinning, breakage, and knots, i would not relax. next, how are you conditioning your hair and what products are you using? what is your detangling process? do you moisturize your hair and what products are you using to moisturize your hair? also check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofbUIczR9EY

How often do you dc and moisturize? In the baggy challenge, someone (I'm not for sure, but I think it was Rosie) reported that she have significantly less knots and tangles since she's been baggying daily. Give it a try! :)

Yep! For me, keeping my hair moisturized minimizes tangles and knots. Baggying helps me keep my hair in a moisturized state.

How often do you dc and moisturize? In the baggy challenge, someone (I'm not for sure, but I think it was Rosie) reported that she have significantly less knots and tangles since she's been baggying daily. Give it a try! :)

yea thats a great video I watched it like 5 times last month but I'm still struggling. I gotta check the baggying thing now

*Hugs* I hope you find a solution. This post describes excatly how I have been feeling for the past year. I have recently begun to think about texlaxing because of the single strand knots. I have tried almost everything and the only thing that seems to work to get rid of the is wearing my hair in braids everyday...which is something I don't want to do. My hair is APL after three years natural. (I really feel like I have lost length due to the trimming/breakage from knots). I'm going to go on a two year C&G challenge and when I'm completed hopefully I will BSL and I will make a decision as to whether to stay natural or texlax.

Hey...back away from the white stuff!!...I used to have problems with knots and tangles...I find that when I use products that straighten out my curl pattern this problems improves or almost goes away. I occassionally use yogurt treatment or use henna monthly. This loosens out my curl pattern which helps in the tangle and knotting dept as well as making blow drying/straighten much easier not to mention making hair stronger.

But I would try using other products I am sure you will find something that works because perming your hair might bring other issues as some of the products that work now for your may not work when you perm your hair as the texture etc or how your hair repsonse to some products when your hair is permed. Anyway I hope that helps.

I would not get a relaxer. Main reason being that your hair is currently unhealthy. A relaxer will not be the proper solution. I would definitely suggest deep conditioning at least once a week and maybe using Cassia, Henna or Alma as well. Going to send you a pm!

I wouldn't get a relaxer because I saw you said you deal with seborrhea and a relaxer will make it worse. Since you are dealing with knots and breakage I would do a good trim and begin deep conditioning twice a week, I would also incorporate a protein every couple of weeks until the breakage stops then you can start cutting back on the protein, also since you keep your hair twisted, make sure you keep your ends moisturized, like other posters have said you could baggy at night with aloe and rosewater with jojoba oil or olive oil or use shea butter/coconut oil/olive oil. Good luck.

Hi, sorry you're having so many problems.

I have seborrheic derm as well so I know it can be problematic. I've just recently shampooed away all of my BKT treatment (over the period of a week or so) b/c of a horrible flare up of my eczema. My face is still recovering :lachen:

The only input I have is that you may need to switch your shampoos. I used to use prescription strength ketoconazole (nizoral) and when my script ran out I used head and shoulders, which wasn't as effective and led to my flare up.

It seems that you like natural products, but maybe you should try another shampoo since what you're doing isn't working.

Warning: all of these are drying (IMO) except the nizoral

Not sure if you should relax, but i use Mizani Butter Blends and I've never had any burns, drying, or other problems.

Good luck with whatever you decide

lol *backs slowly away from the white stuff* I'm going to hack it or atleast til May 2010. I promised myself I would so I'll try. I found some products that may help and I'm going to focus on vinegar rinse for my dandruff as my shampoo and the giovanni as my conditioner. I still plan to deep condition once my nugro comes. I appreciate the info everyone has supplied me with. I heard people on forums were supportive but never encountered it so thanks so much you ALL!

how often do you use that JustNatural Dandruff vinegar rinse?

I've only used the justnatural twice but the most recent time was sunday and my guy *wakes up looking at my hair* said he hasnt seen one flake and for my hair its a miracle I hope it keeps working. It says once a week or as needed and I left it in instead of rinsing out this time.

Hi, sorry you're having so many problems.

I have seborrheic derm as well so I know it can be problematic. I've just recently shampooed away all of my BKT treatment (over the period of a week or so) b/c of a horrible flare up of my eczema. My face is still recovering :lachen:

The only input I have is that you may need to switch your shampoos. I used to use prescription strength ketoconazole (nizoral) and when my script ran out I used head and shoulders, which wasn't as effective and led to my flare up.

It seems that you like natural products, but maybe you should try another shampoo since what you're doing isn't working.

Warning: all of these are drying (IMO) except the nizoral

Not sure if you should relax, but i use Mizani Butter Blends and I've never had any burns, drying, or other problems.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Thanks for the info and I'm sorry about ur flare up but its good to know I'm not alone in it if that makes sense. I've tried everything u listed and ketaconazole just burns my scalp. I don't remember when I've used a shampoo that has worked for me and even if it does its 3 days tops I love my hair but washing every 3 days yikes. If you are interested you may wanna try the justnatural vinegar rinse best thing so far for me.

Back