Should I just trim and start over?

CaramelPrincezz

I've been a member here since October 06 and I've been trying to grow my hair by implementing the techniques, products, and advice of the ladies here. However, i am getting extremely discouraged because it doesn't seem like I'm gaining any length. I never really had a problem with my hair growing, its retaining the length that is a problem. My hair is always breaking and i'm wondering should I just get a trim to even it all up and get rid of my split ends or should I just keep doing what I'm doing. I'm still trying to establish a regimen that works for me. My hair is gettin healthier i believe but I'm still having a lot of breakage. I probably sabotage myself by not doing protective styles but my hair is too uneven so buns look stupid because my uneven hairs stick out. I usually never think my hair is growing unless I look back at pictures and compare. My hair was longer in March then it is now and i wasn't doing anything special but taking a hair vitamin. I got a touchup and trim in early October 05 and started taking a hair vitamin(GNC Hair and nails) in January. After I started the hair vitamin my hair started growing but when I ran out I didnt get another one because I didnt think it was working (wasnt takin comparison pics). I guess after that my hair started breaking back off...also never did protective styles and I wore my hair down everyday with lots of heat usage so that probably attributed to it too. So should i just start over with a good trim and back to the hair vitamins...or avoid trimming until I gain some length:confused:? I've already started 1200 mcg of Biotin and I was also taking prenatals but i forgot them at home (i'm away at college). I call myself being 4something:ohwell: shoulder length but I think I may be neck length, grazing shoulder. My current hair is in my siggy.
Sorry this is so long!:p

n45006489_30003537_7348.jpg

this is after my relaxer and trim in October 05

us13.jpg

this is December 05 before I started Vits

us6.jpg

this is in March 06

Last edited:
I would just go head and start fresh! It well be easier and on you and you need get some vitmans! also take a B50 vitman to balance out your Botion. make sure you drinking lots of water

my two cents....

i'm always down for a good trim IF your hair is damaged... plus, to me, it's easier to build on a fresh start, then to try to reverse damage...

i think of it as trying to build a house on bad foundation... :lol:

Cutting your hair evenly sounds like a good idea if you just want to start fresh, BUT you have to find out what is causing your hair breakage. I, personally, would say wait until you find out what's causing your hair to break. If you cut it and then you have more breakage, you will be really discouraged.
Have you tried a deep conditioner like Silicon Mix? I have not tried this myself, but I've read numerous threads and many of the other ladies swear by it.
Have you thought about getting braids or a weave? That might help. A few years ago my hair was breaking off really badly. It just got to the point where I had to stop manipulating it every day. I put my hair in braids and when I took them out 2 months later the breakage stopped. Mind you, I started messing in my hair again about a month later and the breakage started up again.
It sounds like your hair needs a deep conditioner and a rest. That's just my opinion.
I wish you good luck ! :)

Is your deep conditioner providing enough protein and moisture? Have you tried Aphogee or Nexxus Emergencee or another treatment that heals breakage? I think you should deep condition for a couple of weeks so you can get an assessment of what is truly damaged and what is just dry or weak.

I deep condition every week. Lately I've been using a Moisturizing conditioner, then a deep conditioner afterwards. I did and aphogee a couple months ago and it did stop the breakage for a while. I just havent gotten around to doing another one. I usually use MNT or ORS pak for deep conditioning...are any others good?

tyefrmy said:
Cutting your hair evenly sounds like a good idea if you just want to start fresh, BUT you have to find out what is causing your hair breakage. I, personally, would say wait until you find out what's causing your hair to break. If you cut it and then you have more breakage, you will be really discouraged.
Have you tried a deep conditioner like Silicon Mix? I have not tried this myself, but I've read numerous threads and many of the other ladies swear by it.
Have you thought about getting braids or a weave? That might help. A few years ago my hair was breaking off really badly. It just got to the point where I had to stop manipulating it every day. I put my hair in braids and when I took them out 2 months later the breakage stopped. Mind you, I started messing in my hair again about a month later and the breakage started up again.
It sounds like your hair needs a deep conditioner and a rest. That's just my opinion.
I wish you good luck ! :)

I havent tried Silicon...i'll give it a try when I get some money. I had micros a while back and it pulled my hair out cuz the lady didnt braid down far enough and there was glue in my hair.....weave isn't my thing.

CaramelPrincezz said:
I deep condition every week. Lately I've been using a Moisturizing conditioner, then a deep conditioner afterwards. I did and aphogee a couple months ago and it did stop the breakage for a while. I just havent gotten around to doing another one. I usually use MNT or ORS pak for deep conditioning...are any others good?

I would say try another aphogee treatment if that works for you. I believe the treatment only lasts at most 6 weeks, so to maintain the results you have to repeat it. I do one two weeks before and two weeks after every relaxer, but a lot of ladies here do one right before every relaxer. You only want to trim away the splits, you don't want to trim away hair that can be restored.

CAPlush said:
I would say try another aphogee treatment if that works for you. I believe the treatment only lasts at most 6 weeks, so to maintain the results you have to repeat it. I do one two weeks before and two weeks after every relaxer, but a lot of ladies here do one right before every relaxer. You only want to trim away the splits, you don't want to trim away hair that can be restored.

I try to trim away just the splits but I can't see the back of my hair. I'd just be going in blind. I dont kno if I trust anyone else to trim just my splits cuz my stylist is very scissor happy:look:. I wish i could see the back but I do trim the front splits. I'll do an aphogee tomorrow since its wash day. Thanx:)

Hidden_Angel said:
I would just go head and start fresh! It well be easier and on you and you need get some vitmans! also take a B50 vitman to balance out your Botion. make sure you drinking lots of water

Thanx, I'll get the B50 and i'm tryin to up my water intake!

Back