Should I get micros??? Advice needed

upandcoming

I don't remember the last time I posted in the actual hair forum on this board :lachen: I had a major break through 2007, and then had a very rough semester recently and my hair suffered tremendously making me cut it from 2 inches below shoulder length to neck length (it was from my siggy to a little past my ears)

Long story short I also got a relaxer and I was so exhausted from the semester that I fell asleep in the chair. I woke up and she relaxed my whole head, I thought maybe the relaxer had just touched the end of my hair but after I went to a nice stylist I was told that I essentially had my whole head relaxed, which is causing som breakage. This sounds very reckless, but I had a very, very rough semester...

Sigh.

Long story short my hair is overprocessed, I really don't know what to do with it, I feel like it's been through soooooo much. Should I get micros, braids, I feel like my hair needs serious restructive care and I don't know what to do.

I've never had braids before. Please advise...Thanks!

Last edited:
Braids are a good option but I've never been an advocate of micro's. They're cute but I've heard and experienced way too many horror stories for me to risk it again.
When I got them done they used glue to end the braids and they put it where my real hair was. Also, it cause breakage around my hairline. But I've always had good results with regular sized individual braids.

Whenever i want to get something like mircros i always tell them to make them bigger. I mean i still have a good amount of braids/micros when i get them done, but ive never lost any hair that way.

Braids would be good, but don't get micros. I've gotten individuals that were the width of a pencil, and they were cute.

Braids would be good but you really have to make sure you find someone whose clients have had good experience w/ braids. Unless you're doing them yourself, you're really taking a chance. Done too tightly, or too much hair used per section of your own, or if the braids are so tiny that they matt, or if you can't redo them as often as needed...and you will certainly have a bad experience w/ them. I have never had a bad experience w/ braids but that's probably because I do them myself so I am careful to use a lot of TLC with my hair. Also left in too long, and the base knots up. So only go that route if you aren't being a guinea pig but actually know someone who's gone to that stylist had LHCF success w/ braids.

The word "micros" is relative because while I call my braids micro, they are not the same size as some braids I've seen that look like they should be called nano. This is the size I wear.

A good alternative would be to get your hair cornrowed w/o extensions. gives your hair a break and you can get that to last long by wearing a scarf at night to smooth out the fly-aways. There are so many designs you can sport, and w/ cornrows, you don't have to worry about that painful swing that is sometimes responsible for breakage.

ETA: In the braids you see above, I only used 1 and 1/8 packs of human hair. Shows you how little additional hair I use for my whole head. The most I've ever used is 2 packs but that was when I was learning. Even when I did my braids here, I only used 1 and 1/4 packs.

Last edited:
I don't remember the last time I posted in the actual hair forum on this board :lachen: I had a major break through 2007, and then had a very rough semester recently and my hair suffered tremendously making me cut it from 2 inches below shoulder length to neck length (it was from my siggy to a little past my ears)

Long story short I also got a relaxer and I was so exhausted from the semester that I fell asleep in the chair. I woke up and she relaxed my whole head, I thought maybe the relaxer had just touched the end of my hair but after I went to a nice stylist I was told that I essentially had my whole head relaxed, which is causing som breakage. This sounds very reckless, but I had a very, very rough semester...

Sigh.

Long story short my hair is overprocessed, I really don't know what to do with it, I feel like it's been through soooooo much. Should I get micros, braids, I feel like my hair needs serious restructive care and I don't know what to do.

I've never had braids before. Please advise...Thanks!

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time with your hair. The stress of school can be crazy. I've been there.

But, to answer your question, I would seriously advise against micros. From what I've heard and experienced, they tend to do more harm than good. I've heard of women losing their hairlines/edges and clumps of hair from the micros being too tight or too small to separate from the synthetic hair.

I agree with a few of the previous posters that you either get regular braids (say the thickness of a pencil) or kinky twists which will be much lighter and easier on your hair. These particular methods can allow your hair to rest and give your new growth a chance to blossom, if handled correctly.

Whatever you decide, make sure you have a good braid maintenance program in place. Wash your scalp and braids as needed, use a good conditioner/deep conditioner. Make sure you have a proper braid spray and/or leave-in conditioner, too.

Personally, I don't care for extensions. I'm more of a braid your own hair person. But, if you'd rather not deal with your hair on it's own, extensions might be the way to go for you.

agree with other post- would advise against micros' they caused thinning of my hairline. I really love twists- my hair seemed to do well with them

Back