Should I Get a Dominican Blowout or Flatiron?

Chichi

I have a special event coming up next weekend and I would like to wear my hair out and straight. I am like three weeks post relaxer and already I am feeling some ripples in the roots area.

My goal is to get silky, straight hair that moves. I know for a fact that if I go to a Dominican salon that this could be achieved. But all this talk about flatironing has got me thinking
scratchchin.gif
; maybe I should purchase a flatiron?

Ladies who have tried both, do you get the same look and feel from a flatiron as you would if you had your roots blown straight at a Dominican salon? I have never owned a flatiron but I would be willing to try a ceramic one if it would give me the same results (I don't want straight stiff hair like I would get just from a regular blowdryer
naughty.gif
).

TIA

Chichi
bdance.gif

Personally I would get the Dominican blow-out since you can expect the results that you want. You can still get your hair flat-iron on a regular day to see what your skill level is like and what can be done to save it. Plus if you flat iron your hair and don't get the results, it may take you time to fix it. But again it's up to you.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I would get the Dominican blow-out since you can expect the results that you want.

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O
smile.gif

Thanks for helping me make up my mind (lol). I will will make my appointment now
phone.gif
and save experimenting with the flatiron when I have the luxury of time. I thought that flatironing would be a piece of cake (guess not
nono.gif
)...

Chichi
bdance.gif

Quick question???

I live in OH so I'm not familiar w/ the Dominican Salons. What is so special about a Dominican blowout? What do they use?

My cousin has it done at a Dominican salon in Ocala, FL. They use a blow dryer and round brush. She says the blow dryer is extremely hot. So hot that she makes them stop so she can take a break!
laugh.gif
But according to her the results are worth it. Super straight, Pantene commercial, blowing in the wnd hair. It lasts in the FL humidity until she shampoos or sweats very heavily. And she's a natural type 3. She says the blowout gets it straighter than relaxers did.
shocked.gif
She prefers Dominican run salons because they are faster, cheaper and her hair is very light and "separated". I hope that makes sense.
crazy.gif

The heat doesn't damage her hair? I think I am going to ask my beautician if she can do that for my hair. She dries my hair wth a round brush and a blow dryer, but it does not come out silky straight though. But I need to try something because relaxers only work on my hair for about a maximum of 2 weeks. Then my new growth comes in and my hair won't lie down. And it gets poofy. Relaxers are a waste of my money if it does not last. But I am concerned about the heat from the blowdryer for a blowout though.

She has very strong (coarse?) hair. One strand feels like heavy thread. But she only has it blown out 2x-3x per month.

[ QUOTE ]
She dries my hair wth a round brush and a blow dryer, but it does not come out silky straight though.

[/ QUOTE ]

She never got the results she wanted from AA stylists using blow dryers, either. I think it's the technique combined with the light, non-greasy products that gives the "blowing-in-the-wind" results. She says her stylist uses a blue-ish colored leave-in before blow drying. She never asks what it is because 1. Her stylist doesn't speak English very well and 2. She has no intention of trying to do her own hair.
ohwell.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My cousin has it done at a Dominican salon in Ocala, FL. They use a blow dryer and round brush. She says the blow dryer is extremely hot. So hot that she makes them stop so she can take a break!
laugh.gif
But according to her the results are worth it. Super straight, Pantene commercial, blowing in the wnd hair. It lasts in the FL humidity until she shampoos or sweats very heavily. And she's a natural type 3. She says the blowout gets it straighter than relaxers did.
shocked.gif
She prefers Dominican run salons because they are faster, cheaper and her hair is very light and "separated". I hope that makes sense.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Along with what sassygirl is saying, they have a way of rotating the brush while blowdrying too. I think that is the trick, that brush keep rotating until your hair gets silky straight (and the brush never tangles in your hair). don't know how they do it.

Chichi
bdance.gif

my stylist does this after a roller set and my hair is truly blowing in the wind. to cut down on the direct heat, now I ask him to wrap my roller set curls, then I unwrap in the car. still very bouncy but fuller since my hair is fine.

I say go with the Dominican blow-out. A flat iron can only give the hair so much bounce (which isn't much) Both will make the hair straight but if you want body and bonce AND straight, sleek, shiny hair, you know where you have to go.

If you find the heat to be too much, just tell them to lower the setting. Make sure you take a heat-activated leave-in conditioner (I highly recommend Salerm 21 Silk Leave-in, they usually have it) and insist that they put it in your hair straight after rinsing your shampoo and conditioner out, before they set your hair.

Make sure you deep condition your hair at home for added moisture.

[ QUOTE ]
I say go with the Dominican blow-out. A flat iron can only give the hair so much bounce (which isn't much) Both will make the hair straight but if you want body and bonce AND straight, sleek, shiny hair, you know where you have to go.

If you find the heat to be too much, just tell them to lower the setting. Make sure you take a heat-activated leave-in conditioner (I highly recommend Salerm 21 Silk Leave-in, they usually have it) and insist that they put it in your hair straight after rinsing your shampoo and conditioner out, before they set your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for this reply Boadicea. I suspected that the flatiron wouldn't give the same bouncy results but I wasn't sure since I have never used one before...

I did not even think of the heat-activated leave-in conditioner
whyme.gif
. Thanks for the tip.

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure you deep condition your hair at home for added moisture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going for a wash and set also, when do you think that I should I deep condition my hair?

Chichi
bdance.gif

What I used to do was put the deep conditioner on either the night before or an hour or two before I went to get my hair done.

Ideally, I would suggest at least an hour before you get your hair done and make sure they rinse it thoroughly

Back