Should I do it myself Relax or let the pro do it?

Nella

Ladies,

I was wondering if you could give me some input. I haven't had a relaxer since June 24th. I would like to do it myself but, I'm wondering if you think that I should just let my stylist do it. Anyhow, what is a good relaxer to begin with as this is something that I haven't done before. I want this relaxer to take and was hoping that you ladies could give me some tips.

Blessings to you all and please check out my fotki.

Does your stylist do a good job (i.e., minimal overlapping, conditioning before neutralizing, not pressuring you to get trim). If she/he does I'd stick with 'em.

On the other hand, if you really want to be a self-relaxer you gotta start somewhere. I think 2 inches of NG is a good place to start.

sareca said:
Does your stylist do a good job (i.e., minimal overlapping, conditioning before neutralizing, not pressuring you to get trim). If she/he does I'd stick with 'em.
My stylist is good about not being scissor happy. As for the other stuff, well, let's just say that I'm relaxing it myself the next time around.

If you are really not sure I would let a professional do your touch-up. I know that is what hindered me from getting to my goals quicker. I was doing the dc, I was doing protective styles and everything but because I was self - relaxing my hair, I still looked a hot mess.

I'm doing it myself for the first time too, probably around Thanksgiving. I have been getting my hair done at a salon for so long, but I'm fed up with stylists that don't respect my wishes, literally abuse my hair, and having to deal with no-shows for appts., being late, having too many clients scheduled at once, etc. So from now on, it's all me, baby. I feel like I can do this--I've actually been thinking about it for some time now and have been very observant the last several touchups of how it's done. There is also a WEALTH of info on this site about this. Particularly look at Southerngirl's tutorial. Do some thread searches and start the research!! I am going to practice application ahead of time, with a think conditioner like Cholesterol or something to try and get that down. I'm still a ways away from doing it but I really want to be ready when the time comes.

skoloco said:
I'm doing it myself for the first time too, probably around Thanksgiving. I have been getting my hair done at a salon for so long, but I'm fed up with stylists that don't respect my wishes, literally abuse my hair, and having to deal with no-shows for appts., being late, having too many clients scheduled at once, etc. So from now on, it's all me, baby. I feel like I can do this--I've actually been thinking about it for some time now and have been very observant the last several touchups of how it's done. There is also a WEALTH of info on this site about this. Particularly look at Southerngirl's tutorial. Do some thread searches and start the research!! I am going to practice application ahead of time, with a think conditioner like Cholesterol or something to try and get that down. I'm still a ways away from doing it but I really want to be ready when the time comes.
I've been practicing w/cholestrol too! I am going to keep practicing w/it until I feel confident. My goal is Thankgiving too! We should start a thread dedicated to training ourselves in self-relaxing. We can practice w/cholestrol until we get the timing and placement down. :yep:

I want to self-relax b/c I am sick of stylists combing through my new growth with a FINE TOOTH comb. :(

Nella, if this is your first time, I would recommend getting your retouch done w/a professional. You need to do some research and practice for a while before self-relaxing. If u mess up, it can really set u back in your hair goals. When I tried self-relaxing (the one time that I did), it was bad! I started shedding. I have a lot of hair so it took me too long to get the perm on all of my hair.

Lovelylocs said:
I've been practicing w/cholestrol too! I am going to keep practicing w/it until I feel confident. My goal is Thankgiving too! We should start a thread dedicated to training ourselves in self-relaxing. We can practice w/cholestrol until we get the timing and placement down. :yep:

I want to self-relax b/c I am sick of stylists combing through my new growth with a FINE TOOTH comb. :(

That's a great idea about the thread for newbie's self relaxing. We can help empower each other and learn some new skills! I've had the stylist smooth my hair with a fine tooth comb as well...I didn't know how bad that can be in stretching the strands of the hair and weakening it. My hair has been so overprocessed over the years by too frequent relaxers, overlap, and the "fine tooth comb smoothing technique", that my ability to self-relax is yet another piece of the healthy hair puzzle for me :)

I know that I personally suffered severe damage self relaxing.... I just wasn't able to do the back of my head correctly. The end result was really bad, I hair broke off so badly I had to cut my shoulder length hair to my chin. However, I do have friends who have been self relaxing for years and they have had positive results. Just be confident and I wish you the best of luck.

Back