Shorter/thinner hair before touch-up

syze6

Is it me or does the hair look shorter before a touch up. I am in need of a touch up but I'm trying to wait 12 weeks. My hair appears to be shorter/thinner. Is it because I need a touch up or is it just me?

I'm sure the newgrowth is drawing it up a little to give the illusion of your hair being shorter but as far as thinner I dont know.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Maybe it's because the new growth is so thick, that it makes the relaxed portion of our hair appear thin in comparison?

Your hair may actually be thinning some. The relaxed hair is way more fragile than hair in it's natural state. Sometimes, you have to put a little force into combing/managing the roots, causing you to put stress on the relaxed hair. So, maybe you are one of those people who should not stretch out a relaxer.

buttafly said:
I know exactly what you're talking about. Maybe it's because the new growth is so thick, that it makes the relaxed portion of our hair appear thin in comparison?

Yep! Then after I touch up everything looks fine. :)

Sadly girl it isn't just you. That is a downside to strecthing because the new growth is drawing the inward and giving the illusion that your hair is shorter. :yep:

It will be all worth it when you finally relax and your hair is longer and silky smooth. I am trying to stretch to 12 weeks too. I will be 8 weeks post this friday but this NG is kicking my a@%. Take a peek at my NG at 6 weeks post in my album...;)

buttafly said:

Right, and the relaxed portion may not "hang" straight down because the wavy or curly new growth causes each individual relaxed hair to fall at slightly different angles away from each other. So you may be able to see through the very lower portion of your hair in a way that you are unable to once the newgrowth is relaxed and your hair is all hanging straight down and together again. (I hope that made some sense)

renee_n_3000 said:
Right, and the relaxed portion may not "hang" straight down because the wavy or curly new growth causes each individual relaxed hair to fall at slightly different angles away from each other. So you may be able to see through the very lower portion of your hair in a way that you are unable to once the newgrowth is relaxed and your hair is all hanging straight down and together again. (I hope that made some sense)

I understand what you're saying because it does feel like my hair is shorter and my ends are thinner when I need a touch up. I now know that it's not just me. :)

Well you see, when my hair needs a touch up it looks shorter of course due to shrinkage but it also gets very very thick, real thick. And then when it is touched up, everything is back to normal.

buttafly said:

That's my theory, because as soon as I do my touch up, everything is back to normal.

Back