Shopping on a BUDGET for Natural Hair Transition!

bleau

Okay as some of you know my daughter has decided to have her
natural hair back and doesn't want a relaxer anymore,but as
of right now I am on a SERIOUS BUDGET and can't afford to get the Motions products and stuff,but Help me to find shampoos,deep conditioners,and things to soften her new
growth,also should I use activators if so what kind,and things to use daily to keep it soft,we already cut off about
2inches of the relaxed hair and it looks great with those
straggly ends gone,so I need some good cheap products,also
how often should I wash her hair since she doesn't want a relaxer anymore,we always use a hooded dryer,but let me know
I am going shopping tonite for things!!

Thanks Ladies!!!!
ohwell.gif

Check out some of these. Where I live they are all under $5. And check out some of the recipes on MotownGrl's page. Especially the leave-in.
up.gif

Creme of Nature Shampoo (the regular or moisturizing formulas). You'll also need a clarifying shampoo because this one leaves a weird slippery coating on the hair. I use it as a 2nd lather shampoo to help with tangles. I usually clarify with Suave Juicy Green Apple or Sally's ION Clarifying Shampoo.

LeKair Cholesterol

Lady Velvet Instant Repair

Generic Joico K Pack

Hi Pro Pac

Summit Mend

Daily Doctor

Palmer's Coconut Oil (for hair ends only)

Natural 7 Oil

S Curl

Proclaim Curl Activator

Worlds of Curls Activator

Gellation

Shower Comb

[ QUOTE ]
Tebby1017 said:
That's quite a list...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried everything! I relaxed my hair since the early-mid 1980's. I never took care of my own natural hair. I had to start from scratch. I estimate I've spent around $3.2 million.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
sassygirl, I'm sure you haven't spent that much
laugh.gif
bleau, I always hear great things about the creme of nature conditioning shampoos, I think they are around 3 dollars. I really like the Kera Care Hydrating detangling shampoo which is about $5.95 at Dillards Salons and Jc Penney Salons.

Re: Shopping on a BUDGET for Natural Hair Transition!

Sassygirl,

Girl, we need to put you on a budget.
rofl.gif

Re: Shopping on a BUDGET for Natural Hair Transition!

I think the essential things you need to get are a shampoo, a daily hair softener & moisturizer, and an end sealer (a thick product that can be applied to the ends at night to prevent split ends). I think a deep conditioner would be good, but in my experience not a necessity. The shampoo should be extra gentle therefore no SLS (sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate) or ALS (ammonium lauryl/laureth sulfate). Since I first went natural (three + yrs ago) I've been using Dr.Bronners Liquid Castille Soap (despite what the "creative" name may lead you to think, it is a shampoo
smile.gif
)which can be bought at Whole Foods or any other natural food store. Dr.B needs to be diluted, I do a 1:7 ratio. It costs $3.99 for an 8oz concentrated bottle. So using my ratio it comes out to about $4 for 56 oz. My staple hair softener is Carefree Curls Instant Moisturizer Spray - $8.50 for 32 oz (smaller 8 oz bottles are also available).

What is really important, products aside, is a pantyhose hairband (homemade). They're the most effective, easy to use hair tie for natural hair. Then a satin pillowcase/scarf to sleep on at night, and a hair tie for smoothing down the hairline (left on for ~10mns) when wearing a puff.

When nappturality gets back up I'd highly, HIGHLY recommend your daughter pay the messageboard a visit. There's a wealth of info over there for transitioners and naturals.~

I've determined that my ideal frequency of washing when my hair is all out (therefore not braided) is once every 1-2 wks with no rinses in between. I find that any more frequently is drying and any less leaves my scalp accumulating oil and dirt.

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Tebby1017 said:
That's quite a list...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried everything! I relaxed my hair since the early-mid 1980's. I never took care of my own natural hair. I had to start from scratch. I estimate I've spent around $3.2 million.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl you got me crackin up over here!!!

How about Suave Coconut formula conditioner? A lot of people rave about it and it is less than $2.00

I like Hindu Sheen for styling. I used to use it before I started to use all natural products. A bottle is around $2.50.

If you want something a little more on the natural side you can try Natures Gate products. Nature's gate is not 100% natural like Aubreys but it does not contain as many harmful ingredients like regular shampoo and conditioner. I love their Biotin Shampoo & Herbal Conditioner.

Glycerin is cheap too!!

wow - i don't think i can say anything else! These ladies have all given excellet advice. There ARE a lot of cheaper products that you can use. The conditioners in the Suave line and V05 lines are raved about a lot and they are very cheap. I prefer Suave Professionals which is sometimes a dollar more. Take a look around at the drugstore - well, I'd try wal-mart. They always have their stuff cheaper! Good luck!
I'd also do a search on transitioning.

Back