Shopping for a flat iron help...

DangerouslyShy

I see that alot of people on the board uses a CHI flat iron...But I also found a FHI flatiron...which is better and what is the difference...? are they ion ceramic flatirons or just regular ceramic flatirons?....sorry for all the questions

Another question wat is a Jade flatiron Im seeing that they are selling these as welll....
http://www.beautydeals.net/shop/details.html?id=4896

Last edited:
lol sorry another question whats the difference between ONYX, JADE, SAPHAIRE and CERMAIC plates? which is safer on your hair? if anyone has any idea i would glad to know

I like the FHI best. I think it is cost a bit more than the others. My stylist uses it for my hair, and I had been a press n curl girl forever (i have virgin hair). The ceramic plate causes less breakage and gives a smoother finish.

I have a MaxiGlide iron which I SWEAR by. I bought it off of shopathometv.com for about 80 dollars. It is a GOD send. I have au natural hair that before this flat iron I was only able to get it straight via the hot comb (professionally done). It is a ceramic iron, but the bonus is that it has teeth as well as steam (controlled).

If I can do my hair and get it straight with this iron, then EVERYBODY should be able to.

To TransitioningK, I'm glad you had great results with the Maxi-glide iron. I am thinking about purchasing one real soon too! Have you tried their reccommended products that they use with the iron? Can you post pics of your results? I'd love to see it, I'm really excited about ordering the Maxi glide!

I've never tried a FHI, but I do have a CHI and I love it. Oh, and on ebay FHI's are cheaper than CHI's. On ebay CHI's average out at about $84 and FHI's about $50. I'm not saying that CHI's are better because they more, or that FHI's are not as good as a CHI because they're cheaper. I know for a fact that more expensive is not always better! Someone that has both can really tell you which is best. I LOVE MY CHI!!

Alli77 said:
To TransitioningK, I'm glad you had great results with the Maxi-glide iron. I am thinking about purchasing one real soon too! Have you tried their reccommended products that they use with the iron? Can you post pics of your results? I'd love to see it, I'm really excited about ordering the Maxi glide!

No, I have not tried the reccommended products.

1. But I start with shampooed and DEEP conditioned hair.
2. Apply some sort of leave in (NTM) and serum.
3. Air dry for abount an hour.
4. Blow dry until hair is completely dry.
5. I start with moderatley large pieces and like the commercial says you only need to go over your hair once.
6. After I am finished, I usually slather on the serum and do a messy rollerset and I am good for about 7-10 days.

Thanks Transitioning...I think that will be my X-mas present to myself! I better take advantage of this sale, considering shipping is only .99 cents.

thank you for answering ladies...

whats the difference between the maxiglide and a chi..is one better for your hair than the other? I hgad a considerable amount of heat damage earlier this year and i havent flatironed my hair since than...well actually i did once....

so im lookin for something very safe....

FHI's get the hottest. As you know what happened to my hair. But I still vouch for the FHI, just don't use it on the highest setting. FHI's and CHI's seem to be comparable, Fhi's just get hotter, but outside of packaging I don't think they are that much different... I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

If you get the CHI make sure you get the CHI turbo and if you get the FHI make sure you get the one with the red plates. The FHI's cost more than the CHI turbos but you can find a good deal on either on ebay.

I got two from an ebay site. I won one for $60 and the other for 75... but if you watch the auctions you could get it cheaper. I've searched the web all over and this ebay seller has both the CHI's and FHI's for the cheapest.

You can do the auction or buy it straight out... Chi Turbos's cost $80 and FHI's $90 You'll probably want the 1".

Oh and the seller gives you a lot of info about each iron.

I swear by the Sedu Ionic Ceramic flat iron. My hair is silky smooth even when it rains. It has Ceramic/Tourmaline plates that just glide through the hair. It cost me $98 at www.folica.com. You can read the reviews for all of the mentioned flat irons. Sedu has the highest customer rating. I think CHI is right up there too.

ReesieCup said:
I swear by the Sedu Ionic Ceramic flat iron. My hair is silky smooth even when it rains. It has Ceramic/Tourmaline plates that just glide through the hair. It cost me $98 at www.folica.com. You can read the reviews for all of the mentioned flat irons. Sedu has the highest customer rating. I think CHI is right up there too.
I 100% agree with her! That's why I ordered a Sedu. :)

CHI is the only true ceramic flat iron. Everything else is ceramic coated whether that makes a big difference I don't know. But that's why CHI seems to cost more than FHI but that was about 6 months ago. CHI's also had a history of breaking fast but FHI had some bad reviews too. There's a website that starts with an "F" that has all this info, I just can't remember it right now. Sorry.

Sedu is true ceramic and tourmaline as well. I like the CHI (my stylist uses it), but I think the Sedu is better. Thats just my opinion though.

i was going to buy a Sedu, but i opted for the CHI. (by the way, am i the only idiot that didnt know CHI was pronounced chee :D :nuts: :) )

anyhoo, the CHI is a christmas present, so why not have the person buy one of the most expensive irons there are. also, i don flat iron that often, so i figured it wont break as fast as the women on there are proclaiming. we got it from folic for 130. i dont trust ebay and CHI will not service irons bought from EBAY, if they break.

I have a sedu too...I think I like it so far...Im still learning this pressing thing and have only used it one but I have 30 days to return to folica.com if for watever reason it doesnt work out.

CHI is THE ceramic iron to get. I think I posted about this iron 5x already today (can you tell I like it). I bought mine 3 years ago for $130 and I don't regret it one bit. this is the original, the one I have. Nothing like it :) http://www.farouk.com/chiFI.htm

Back