Shingling 4b hair

PrincessAJ

So I've always thought u couldn't shingle 4b hair. I'm confused why do a lot of ppl say it can't be done? Is it that u can shingle 4b hair but the curls are just too small to be noticeable? I tried it and as a result I have tons of small curls. I don't have a very good camera but I'll try my best to add pictures. It me a while to do because I kept starting and stopping. I would probably have taken 1 1/2- 2 hrs...whew. Do any other ladies with 4b hair have pictures of their hair after shingling?

580.jpg

579.jpg

Sry, I don't have any pictures for you, but I just wanted to let you know that your hair is SOO cute. I love it! You have an amazing curl pattern. :)

I really really wish I would have taken pictures. I just did this the other day as an experiment. It looked horrible to me so I washed it out the next day.

I love the red colors in your hair is that from dye or henna? did you shingle with a denman type brush or a comb because my hair in my nape just frizzes into a bush even if I use gel or product in it.

Oooh that's pretty! Those curlies are so cute!!

I always thought you couldn't shingle 4b hair because there was no curl pattern.. but maybe that was 4c? Or cnap?
Not sure, but your hair came out great!:yep:

I've never thought you couldn't shingle 4B. I just thought the coils would be too little to see unless you're up-close and personal. Same reason I think WNG on 4B is just pain without gain: no one can see how cute your coils are and then you have all that detangling to deal with later. So not worth it, IMO.

^^4B does have a pattern. :yep: It's just never seen because 4B hair is usually kept stretched to prevent tangles. I'm 4B and I do have coils.

I am a 4b and when I was natural, I used to shingle my hair regularly with the famous/infamous curly pudding. It came out great....to me. My goal was to define my texture (which is more of an s-curl than a coily curl). The key is to use the right amount of product and to not disturb the curl until the hair is dry. I think that your hair is pretty.

Just wanted to say that Tkj25 used to have a nice photo of his 4B hair shingled in his siggy and it looked nice...so perhaps my theory that it doesn't show isn't altogether true.

Last edited:
I am a type 4 not sure if all B but def a 4 and My hair shingles great. I use condtioner, doesn't give much definition, I use KCCC, and I've used EcoStyler gel. Works for me and I can't wait to see what my WnG will look like THIS summer.

I was just wondering about shingling my lil TWA. the back of my head coils up naturally into teeny little locs of hair and I'm wondering if I should detangle my TWA? Sorry if this hi-jacked the thread, just wondering if detangling was necessary even with this little amount of hair if I wanted to shingle

I have tried a few times and because of the thickness, length and the amount of product I just don't see the upside for me at least.

I love the red colors in your hair is that from dye or henna? did you shingle with a denman type brush or a comb because my hair in my nape just frizzes into a bush even if I use gel or product in it.

I think my hair just has hints of red in it. I've never used any type of dye or henna. I didn't use a brush, I just used my fingers. I'm going to try a denman brush next time to see if I get even better results.

Sry, I don't have any pictures for you, but I just wanted to let you know that your hair is SOO cute. I love it! You have an amazing curl pattern. :)

Thank u :)

I really really wish I would have taken pictures. I just did this the other day as an experiment. It looked horrible to me so I washed it out the next day.

dang! U should have I would have loved to see it. I'm sure it didn't look bad!

Oooh that's pretty! Those curlies are so cute!!

I always thought you couldn't shingle 4b hair because there was no curl pattern.. but maybe that was 4c? Or cnap?
Not sure, but your hair came out great!:yep:

I'm not sure either....it all confuses me lol.

Shingling 4B hair takes more time---smaller coils require more sections for the hair to look curly. My hair 4a/b/z looks a HAM if I shingle and don't do it in tiny sections..which takes FOREVER--if someone knows a why to shingle 4b without it taking hours, please let me know.

Shingling gives me major frizz! The less I actually mess with my hair, the more coily it is. Manipulation takes out the definition. I dunno how you ladies do it, lol.

Back