shikakai/amla powders/pastes with butters???

stormy07

has anyone tried this? So I've fallen in love with the vatika coconut oil.....I haven't tried the amla oil yet....and I still have some powdered shikakai and amla left....plus tons of different types of butters (palm, mango, avocado,aloe and almond) and I was wondering has anyone done some kinda paste mixture with the powders and butters...

I remember the first time I tried the powders I added them to condt. like someone else did and my hair no likey....it flipped me the bird :lachen:...but now I'm getting curious again....although I know alot of ya'll have said about DCing after the powders...and right now I'm out of my lustrasilk chloesterol :perplexed and I wanted to try something this weekend...so dish!!! anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am been doing the powders for a minute but have never tried them with butters or come across anyone that has.

I am not sure if that would work or not work. Sorry, I couldn't help.

I will use them as instructed or in teas for tea rinses.

I put a spoonful of each powder in a coffee filter, staple it and then put it in a pot of water and let it boil for abou an hour or so then let it sit for another hour and then pour it in a glass bottle with some oil. I am sure to use it up within 3 days though. I don't want it to go rancid. If I can't use it all I will freesze it or place it in the fridge. It has really been hot here lately.

I just did an amla paste today and it was really gritty. How do you guys make it smooth mixture? I was thinking of adding ghee to it, but I'm not sure if that would work.

The only way I could see this working is to first make a tea out of the powders. Once it cools, add it to your butter and mix it thoroughly. I might try this with my shea butter just to see.

Water (ie a tea) will not work here, remember oil and water don't mix! You need to infuse your powders in oil for it to work.

Mascerate (ie cook or let stand) the powders in whatever base oil you like...filer the powders out (eliminate the grit) and add this oil to your MELTED base butter(s). Let it firm up and use.

The easiest way to make an infused oil is to put some powder and oil in a jar (whatever porportions you want), seal the jar up, and put it in a water bath. By water bath, I mean take a roaster or something and add water up to about halfway o f your sealed jar w/ the oil/powder comb. Put it in the oven and let it bake for an hour or 2 at about 300 or less. Let it cool in the oven BEFORE attempting to handle it (Oil burns are no fun at all).

Once you have your infused oil, soften your butters (microwave, on the stove, etc...and add your filters infused out to it. Let it cool/firm up, store it, and voila you have a vedic butter!

You can also infuse the powders and oil w/o heat, but it'll take a few weeks for a nice infusion. If you do this, make sure your powders are fully covered w/ the oil or the whole thing will spoil before you get to use it. Of course, filter it before adding to powders.

OR you could just use your infused oils as is w/o adding them to the butters! :)

Last edited:
Back