Shikahai PASTE or rinse???

ttlayli

Okay, I used the Shikhai bar..LOVED IT. Now I wanted to try the powders. I have read about the rinse....BUT on the box it says to make a paste and to let it sit on the hair for about 45 mins. Which is better??

Is it safe to use the soap first, then the rinse??? Or is that overkill??? :perplexed

IMHO I think that might be too much. It's essentially the same thing. I've used the paste and also the rinse/tea. I liked the paste better but it's a pain to wash out so that's when I tried the rinse. I just bought the shampoo bar today and I'll eventually try that.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I always use a paste. I guess since I'm used to doing henna this way, it's just seems easier to do a paste to me. For some reason, I think of a rinse just rinsing down the drain.:look: I mix shikakai with coconut oil and coconut milk and I never have a problem rinsing. I think the difference is, too, that a lot of people are using it for washing I guess....shikakai really works well as a deep conditioner for me when I use it as a paste. My hair feels really soft and heavy afterwards, just like when doing a henna.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I always use a paste. I guess since I'm used to doing henna this way, it's just seems easier to do a paste to me. For some reason, I think of a rinse just rinsing down the drain.:look: I mix shikakai with coconut oil and coconut milk and I never have a problem rinsing. I think the difference is, too, that a lot of people are using it for washing I guess....shikakai really works well as a deep conditioner for me when I use it as a paste. My hair feels really soft and heavy afterwards, just like when doing a henna.

You didn't have problems washing it out? I mixed it with Elucence MBC and it was a nice consistency but it was a pain to wash out. Very gritty but it stopped my shedding dead in its tracks.

You didn't have problems washing it out? I mixed it with Elucence MBC and it was a nice consistency but it was a pain to wash out. Very gritty but it stopped my shedding dead in its tracks.

No, I've never had problems washing it out, but I do have a handheld shower head and that makes a world of difference. I don't know how I'd manage henna or shikakai without it, really. Yes it does help tremendously with shedding, as does henna, that's why I prefer to treat it as a deep conditioner. I use a heat cap too.

ITA! :yep: I LOOOOOVE using the paste version of the powders! I also use the herbal to wash my hair too!

No, I've never had problems washing it out, but I do have a handheld shower head and that makes a world of difference. I don't know how I'd manage henna or shikakai without it, really. Yes it does help tremendously with shedding, as does henna, that's why I prefer to treat it as a deep conditioner. I use a heat cap too.

Thanks. I think I need to get me a handheld shower head.

Okay, I used the Shikhai bar..LOVED IT. Now I wanted to try the powders. I have read about the rinse....BUT on the box it says to make a paste and to let it sit on the hair for about 45 mins. Which is better??

How did your hair feel after using the bar? I need to get me one...

I'm making a shikakai, amla, aritha tea in my coffee maker as we speak.

For the paste do you just follow the directions on the box or modify??

I modified mine by mixing it with conditioner (Elucence MBC). Someone on here raved about that mix a while back and I just followed. If you do a search you should be able to find the thread.

How did your hair feel after using the bar? I need to get me one...

I'm making a shikakai, amla, aritha tea in my coffee maker as we speak.

OMG the bar left my hair feeling AMAZZZIIINNNGGG!!! :lachen: U can really tell ur hair is stronger after using it and it leaves some type of "barrier" that makes her hair feel very soft and strong. :yep:

Thanks. I think I need to get me a handheld shower head.

Oh definitely! The direct water pressure on your scalp and hairline rinses these herbs in less than half the time. I can only imagine how much longer and harder it would be for me to rinse without it. Plus the shower cleans up in a snap! Get it girl!

What exactly does this do for the hair? I guess I washed my hair with my shikakai/amla/aritha tea last night :confused:. It left my strands feeling kinda hard like after a henna treatment. It softened up nicely after doing a cowash in the shower.

Should I be using this tea often to wash my hair with?

I do not make a rinse, but I do infuse my shikakai powder in filtered water for a spray as I have stated in other threads. However, last night, I was of a mind to use up some of my powder and I mixed with some VO5 honeydew smoothie conditioner and used a whisk to mix it really well. First of all, when I put it on my hair, it just melted into my hair and then "lathered" up. It also melted away whatever tangles may have been in my hair. I barely kept it in 30 minutes because my back started hurting really badly from slipping on my stairs about two hours before, so I got in the shower and rinsed it out. I had no problems rinsing it out at all -- not in the least. My hair did not feel particularly soft or moisturized, but it wasn't bad. It did not feel that good, but it wasn't that bad either. I usually will follow with a Nature's Gate conditioner when I do not like the way my hair feels after a shampoo or co-wash because it always cures what ails my hair, but I just put in my leave-in (which now I always mix with food grade aloe vera gel) and sealed with ghee and went to bed. My hair this morning has this cottony (but cottony in a good way) silky softness and feels really "conditioned" that totally belies how it felt last night. I have been feeling on my hair for 20 minutes now and we all know that is not good for hair, but my hair feels that good.

ETA: I just combed my hair out and no tangles at all and lots of body.

Last edited:
I've only ever used paste and my hair loves it. I might try rinses in the summer seeing as I CO wash several times a week when it gets hot.

Back