Shelf Life of 4lb tub of relaxer?

Hi, girls! Well I know that the tub of Silk Elements is on sale this month (June) for $10.99 at Sally's and I was just wondering if I bought this, will the relaxer spoil after like a year or so? I don't want to buy this and not be able to use the whole thing because it has spoiled. Someone please chime in withing the next hour or so... Thanks in advance for your responses

God's Anointed said:
Hi, girls! Well I know that the tub of Silk Elements is on sale this month (June) for $10.99 at Sally's and I was just wondering if I bought this, will the relaxer spoil after like a year or so? I don't want to buy this and not be able to use the whole thing because it has spoiled. Someone please chime in withing the next hour or so... Thanks in advance for your responses

I think someone once said it's 3 years from the date on the tub.

I bought a tub yesturday and I'm wondering how long will this last. I had the med size one and I've had it for 2 years. I thought I wouldn't have enough last night that's why I purchased another one (and they only had the large size). Now I still has some left from the old container and this huge thing. I think this will last me 10 years.

OT,

DLewis, you look so beautiful in your siggie!

Question for you, you use Lady Velvet, right? I have had a tub of that for about a year, but I am afraid to apply it myself. Do you apply it yourself or at the salon?

Sorry this is OT, God's Anointed. I was just thinking about how long this relaxer would be good for and the only person I know that may be using it is DLewis.

As long as you don't do your application straight from the tub, I think 3 years sounds good! Take out what you need and make sure there's no contamination.

HoneyDew said:
OT,

DLewis, you look so beautiful in your siggie!

Question for you, you use Lady Velvet, right? I have had a tub of that for about a year, but I am afraid to apply it myself. Do you apply it yourself or at the salon?

Sorry this is OT, God's Anointed. I was just thinking about how long this relaxer would be good for and the only person I know that may be using it is DLewis.

Thank you

Yes I use LV and I apply it myself, I don't trust anyone else in my head. Bad stylist.

It's very easy to apply it, if I can apply it to my super curly/nappy hair any one can with ease.

crlsweetie912 said:
As long as you don't do your application straight from the tub, I think 3 years sounds good! Take out what you need and make sure there's no contamination.

I didn't know that, thanks.

dlewis said:
I didn't know that, thanks.
YUP! You can easily get hair, gel, whatever you "base" your scalp with into the relaxer tub and it renders it pretty much useless. Or at the least, lowers it's effectiveness.

Oh yeah, and this was the original reason why you would always see the hairdresser coming "out of the back" with a bowl of relaxer. Because she more than likely had a huge tub of it and didn't want to contaminate it. Not because she didn't want you to know what she was using.

To dlewis: you look so gorgeous is your siggy!! I could have sworn up and down that this was a pic from optenth yrs ago!!!:eek: :lachen:
I hope to have ageless beauty!

wheezy807 said:
To dlewis: you look so gorgeous is your siggy!! I could have sworn up and down that this was a pic from optenth yrs ago!!!:eek: :lachen:
I hope to have ageless beauty!

this one

47b7da30b3127cce83c67e15ef8300000010108AbuWzVo5Yt1

I wish :lol:

crlsweetie912 said:

Thanks! I didn't know this either!!

Last edited:
Back