Shedding hair coming from improper neutralization?

Roxyness

When I went to the salon to get my hair done, I noticed that she only washed out the relaxer once with the neutralizing shampoo, so obviously it didn't all get rinsed out, but being my first time in a salon, I thought she knew what she was doing. Do you think this could be contributing to my shedding, thinning hair? This was back in January.

maybe...i'm thinking definitely because you have to neutralize really well (it has to be in contact with the hair for 5 minutes) and one time isn't gonna do it

The same exact thing happened to me. The hair was so straight and stuck to scalp that the neutralizer could not get down in there and as a result I have thin/balding areas all across the front to the middle of my head. I can only hop pray and be consistent with my routine that it will come back, and lay off the perms for a while as to not destroy the follicle.

Always keep a bottle of neutralizer at your house. #1 rule of a relaxed head. I'm not relaxing now but whenever I got a relaxer I came home and shampooed again. That's why I never let them stlye. :) But seriously 1x is not good, for me 3x is the least I'll do. You ever walk past someone who got a perm a few days back and you can still smell it - it's still there eating away.

Go to your nearest BSS and buy neutralizer, do not pass go, do not collect $200 - run girlfriend, run, run like your hair's on fire - for REAL! :\

Go to Walmart and get ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo. Lather well and leave it on for 5 minutes. Rinse and repeat

Deep condition for an hour with a good protein/moisture conditioner like ORS Pak

Like 1babydimple said, you should always have a neutralizing shampoo in your house for times like this. One can never be too careful :)

I am not an expert at this but that may not be shedding but breakage. Shedding is when you see the bulb at the root of the hair.

By all means get you some neutralizing shampoo asap.

I agree with the neutralizing shampoo at home. I have one and (sidenote) I use it whenever I bleach my eyebrows too, so they don't continue to get lighter and lighter. Anyway, I would deep condition every single week and use some indian powders to rinse as well. The powders helped with strengthening my hair a lot.

Always keep a bottle of neutralizer at your house. #1 rule of a relaxed head. I'm not relaxing now but whenever I got a relaxer I came home and shampooed again. That's why I never let them stlye. :) But seriously 1x is not good, for me 3x is the least I'll do. You ever walk past someone who got a perm a few days back and you can still smell it - it's still there eating away.

Go to your nearest BSS and buy neutralizer, do not pass go, do not collect $200 - run girlfriend, run, run like your hair's on fire - for REAL! :\

Thanks for saying this. I believe this was one of the things that caused me severe damage. Now that I think about it, not only did I think I still smelled relaxer, I probably smelled the residue of the semi-permanent hair color that was used directly after relaxing. :perplexed

Last edited:
Back