Shedding & Breaking like mad

Ms_Twana

Okay, I didn't want to post this on the transitioners thread because there are already like 1000 pages (okay close to it). But my hair is shedding and breaking like crazy. I tried washing with Aubrey GBP and clarifying before. I've even being doing the Mizani Night-time Treatment every 3 days.

I do either a bun, fall/wig with low ponytail, or braidout. Those are my only styles. And every time I put my hair in my hand, I get hair in it. I tried to prepare myself for this. But all I can hear is one of my stylist's response when I said I was letting my relaxer grow out: "It's gone start shedding when you're letting it grow it. If it does, just came back and get the relaxer in it again."

I'm at a loss. I do have K-Pak, which I haven't tried yet. I'll try that this weekend. Any other suggestions!!!

Have you tried garlic shampoo or the Alter Ego Garlic Hot Oil Treatment? I've used both and they work very well. My hair stopped shedding almost immediately with the garlic shampoo.

Ms_Twana said:
Okay, I didn't want to post this on the transitioners thread because there are already like 1000 pages (okay close to it). But my hair is shedding and breaking like crazy. I tried washing with Aubrey GBP and clarifying before. I've even being doing the Mizani Night-time Treatment every 3 days.

I do either a bun, fall/wig with low ponytail, or braidout. Those are my only styles. And every time I put my hair in my hand, I get hair in it. I tried to prepare myself for this. But all I can hear is one of my stylist's response when I said I was letting my relaxer grow out: "It's gone start shedding when you're letting it grow it. If it does, just came back and get the relaxer in it again."

I'm at a loss. I do have K-Pak, which I haven't tried yet. I'll try that this weekend. Any other suggestions!!!

I wish I could offer some suggestions but I can't. Nothing has worked on my shedding. There are several posts about using everything from Garlic Shampoo/Garlic Conditioners to Alter Ego Cren to the most recent one which mentions iron supplements helped someone. I plan to go to the doctor to get a physical and make sure everything is cool..iron levels included. But if your shedding is normal for transitioners, which is weird to me, then there probably isn't much you can do. I don't understand the connection between not getting a relaxer and our hair coming out from the root. What does one thing have to do with the other? The relaxer is applied externally and our hair is implanted under the scalp internally.
Again, sorry I can't help more.

msbrown76 said:
Have you tried garlic shampoo or the Alter Ego Garlic Hot Oil Treatment? I've used both and they work very well. My hair stopped shedding almost immediately with the garlic shampoo.

Co-signing on the Alter Ego treatment. Works like a charm everytime

Cayenne0622 said:
I wish I could offer some suggestions but I can't. Nothing has worked on my shedding. There are several posts about using everything from Garlic Shampoo/Garlic Conditioners to Alter Ego Cren to the most recent one which mentions iron supplements helped someone. I plan to go to the doctor to get a physical and make sure everything is cool..iron levels included. But if your shedding is normal for transitioners, which is weird to me, then there probably isn't much you can do. I don't understand the connection between not getting a relaxer and our hair coming out from the root. What does one thing have to do with the other? The relaxer is applied externally and our hair is implanted under the scalp internally.
Again, sorry I can't help more.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I just assumed she meant breakage rather than shedding. Because my hair was doing a lot of shedding before. There were lots of long strands with the white bulb on the ends. But now there are lots of short strands with no bulbs. And that's what's worrying me!:(

Ms_Twana said:

What's your diet like? This summer I had a lot of shedding and breaking and when I realize that I had started drinking, was eating out everyday, candy bars and no vitamins. My hair was looking awful. About a month after I stopped the drinking every night, I limited my junk intake, and started back taking my vits, started eating fish and beans more water my hair looks 100,000% percent better.

Also, to much protein can harm your hair, be carfull.

Alter Ego Cren reduced my seasonal shedding tremendously!!! :) It's going to be a staple through November when my shedding dies down. I went from losing about 50 hairs a day to my comb to only 5 in two days. :eek: That stuff is amazing!!!! However, the effect seems to slack off after 3-4 days and needs to be reapplied (though shedding is still less than normal). The bottle actually recommends reapplying the solution every 3 days. HTH!

Legend said:
Alter Ego Cren reduced my seasonal shedding tremendously!!! :) It's going to be a staple through November when my shedding dies down. I went from losing about 50 hairs a day to my comb to only 5 in two days. :eek: That stuff is amazing!!!! However, the effect seems to slack off after 3-4 days and needs to be reapplied (though shedding is still less than normal). The bottle actually recommends reapplying the solution every 3 days. HTH!

I wish it worked for me. I normally shampoo twice a week and use Alter Ego at each wash and it hasn't worked in my 3 washes. I have now reduced my washes to once a week because I lose the most hair on wash day and I'd rather reduce how many times a week I have to go through that. I'll probably be trying Essations next. (sigh)

mystery29 said:
What is alter ego cren and where can you get it?

Cren is a hairloss preventative solution that is applied diretly to the scalp. I purchased mine through Sickbay.biz here: http://store.sickbay.biz/alegoprtrfor1.html

iBeauty.com also carries it and you can also purchase single-treatment sizes there: https://www.ibeautyny.com/goods_detail.asp?goodsIdx=3554

Copied from iBeauty: "CURATIV EGO CREN prevents the hairloss through the stimulating effect on the cellular metabolism and the nutritive contriburion to the scalp. It contains active substances such as horse radish extracts (known as Cren) and an amynopeptidic complex system derivated from the hydrolized soya proteins. Both the vasodilatator qualities of the horse radish extracts and the soya proteins make the product an integrative nourishing and revitalizing element for the scalp, strengthening the piliferous bulbs whose weakness can cause hairloss. In case of sensitive skin it may cause redness; it is recommended to do a preliminary test of the products first and then proceed with the treatment.

Directions:
wash the hair accurately with the shampoo and then dry it with a towel. Apply the lotion thoroughly on the scalp and massage gently. Leave it on for few minutes and without rinsing it out proceed with the hair style."

HTH!

Cayenne0622 said:
I wish it worked for me. I normally shampoo twice a week and use Alter Ego at each wash and it hasn't worked in my 3 washes. I have now reduced my washes to once a week because I lose the most hair on wash day and I'd rather reduce how many times a week I have to go through that. I'll probably be trying Essations next. (sigh)

I'm sorry it didn't work for you, Cayenne. That happens to me a lot too: I'll to to the store, find the "perfect" product with all the right ingredients, and it doesn't work at all! :( I have the same problem with washing my hair during "Shedding Season" :lol: and have cut back my shampooing to once a week, but I've been applying the Cren to my scalp every three days without washing and it still works well.

Legend said:
Cren is a hairloss preventative solution that is applied diretly to the scalp. I purchased mine through Sickbay.biz here: http://store.sickbay.biz/alegoprtrfor1.html

iBeauty.com also carries it and you can also purchase single-treatment sizes there: https://www.ibeautyny.com/goods_detail.asp?goodsIdx=3554

Copied from iBeauty: "CURATIV EGO CREN prevents the hairloss through the stimulating effect on the cellular metabolism and the nutritive contriburion to the scalp. It contains active substances such as horse radish extracts (known as Cren) and an amynopeptidic complex system derivated from the hydrolized soya proteins. Both the vasodilatator qualities of the horse radish extracts and the soya proteins make the product an integrative nourishing and revitalizing element for the scalp, strengthening the piliferous bulbs whose weakness can cause hairloss. In case of sensitive skin it may cause redness; it is recommended to do a preliminary test of the products first and then proceed with the treatment.

Directions:
wash the hair accurately with the shampoo and then dry it with a towel. Apply the lotion thoroughly on the scalp and massage gently. Leave it on for few minutes and without rinsing it out proceed with the hair style."

HTH!

Thank you :)

Ms_Twana said:

Henna!! I only wish I had started when my problems first began!!!

The Essations Hair Mender did help my shedding tremendously. I'm still shedding a bit, but nothing like before.

alexstin said:
Henna!! I only wish I had started when my problems first began!!!

Thanks Legend!!! Something is bound to work.

Mizani - I keep hearing about Essations. I'm sooooo tempted but I am giving Henna a go this weekend. If that doesn't work...Essations, here I come! I'm gonna beat this shedding monkey!!

Alexstin - girl, keep your fingers crossed for me. ;)

Back