Shedding and breaking problem

Dubois007

I need help everytime I comb or brush my hair I have both shedding and breaking. It hurts me everyday when I have to clean my bathroom floor. I could never find a way to reduce both. I wash my hair every week with the ovation products, I do a treatment with Silk Elements MegaSilk Intense Conditioning Mayonnaise at the end. I hair dry my hair, rarely use heat. Any suggestions.

well, i know people take garlic pills for shedding and it has worked for me. What hairstyles are you wearing, maybe they're causing breakage? did you start doing anything different, new products? maybe you need a protein treatment. i'm not really sure why your hair is breaking.

Change up your products. Your hair doesn't like something you're using. Cut out one thing per week and see if omitting something stops the breakage.

Also, when was the last time you clarified? That could be the problem too.

Do you use any type of moisturizer? Your scalp may need some moisture too. Try using some oil on your scalp. I use castor oil. It moisturizes and softens my hair. Other ladies on this site use EVOO, coconut oil, jojoba oil, or a mixture of different types of oils. There are many oils you could try. Do a search for oils to find more types you can try.

I did tried a garlic treatment once but it just aggravated the problem. Most of time I wear my hair in ponytail or protective style.

Since you're using Ovation, try using a protein-free, moisturizing conditioner instead of the Silk Elements.

From Sally's website: Silk Elements MegaSilk Intense Conditioning Mayonnaise is a rich, creamy intense conditioner containing protein and essential oils that help prevent breakage by strengthening and repairing dry, damaged hair. To mend your split ends and avoid breakage, fortify your hair with the essential oils and protein in this product. Your hair will look and feel softer and healthier and will be conditioned from root to tip.

Ingredients:

WATER ,GLYCERIN ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,DICETYLDIMONIUM CHLORIDE ,CETYL ALCOHOL ,POLYQUATERNIUM-37 ,PROPYLENE GLYCOL DICAPRYLATE/DICAPRATE ,PROPYLENE GLYCOL ,FRAGRANCE ,DIMETHICONE ,OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) OIL UNSAPONIFIABLE ,DIAZOLIDINYL UREA ,DMDM HYDANTOIN ,METHYLPARABEN ,SILK AMINO ACIDS ,CAPSICUM FRUTESCENS FRUIT EXTRACT ,CHOLESTEROL ,PANTOTHENIC ACID ,EGG OIL ,ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF E ,URTICA DIOICA (NETTLE) EXTRACT ,HYDROLYZED KERATIN ,TOCOPHERYL ACETATE ,LANOLIN OIL ,HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN ,MELALEUCA ALTERNIFOLIA (TEA TREE) LEAF P ,PPG-1 TRIDECETH-6 ,STEARYL ALCOHOL ,POLYQUATERNIUM-4 ,PHENYL TRIMETHICONE ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,BEHENTRIMONIUM METHOSULFATE ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,PROPYLPARABEN ,YELLOW 5 ,YELLOW 6 ,BLUE #1

Last edited:
It sounds like you are Using Ovations Shampoo and well as other Ovations Products that are super heavy protein products.

With the use of Products like Ovations/MT etc... Heavy Protein, You must Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize your hair or it will dry completely out. You need to Up your Moisturizing Conditioners and Leave-Ins to the Maxx! And make sure they do not contain protein. Creamy and/or water based moisturizers.

I would not use the Ovations Shampoo on a regular basis. If I used it at all, I would alternate it with a Good Moisturizing Shampoo in between.

I use MT (scalp only) and I always Clarify at least bi-weekly to remove any buildup. You have to find the right balance of Protein & Moisture especially when using products like these. I keep my hair Super Hydrated with use of Mega-Tek because I know my hair has a tendency to be on the dry side anyway.:yep:

I agree with the other ladies. Since you are using the Ovation system, try adding a moisturizing conditioner versus the Silk Elements Mayonnaise conditioner at the end.

I have/had shedding and breakage too. I believe it's the Ovation. Try garlic pills and stop using Ovation for awhile.

Moisture Moisture Moisture. Switch a shampoo and conditioner combo that has humectants. There are also some humectant proteins that can help, but will not harden your hair. I like Mizani Moisturfuse or Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner. Both make my hair feel like butter. Avoid proteins for a week or two and report back to us. Your hair will probably thank you.

Back