Sheamoisture: Break The Walls; Integrating Black Products Into The General Beauty Aisle

what a cool commercial! I just picked up the curl enhancing smoothie today (in the ethnic section). Jury's still out

Is it this deep for people? I like our aisle. But I live in a majority black area so we get basically a whole aisle and not a section.
Yeah, our aisle out here is bomb. I care not at all about going to the other aisles. I also don't remember caring when I lived in areas with smaller black beauty sections. It's convenient for me to have all the things I'm interested in grouped together, and on the rarer occasion I want something else, I know where to get it. Not that I use Shea moisture anyway ...

Anyway not a big deal to me so f they decided this is a good business move for them and black women out there really are so hurt about the separate aisle, then move it.

I'm just wondering what the unintended consequences of this will be for smaller black- owned companies. as we know, segregation has its benefits.

shea moisture has a vested interest in integration to increase its crossover exposure and sales. as a large company with established distribution channel, that has growing mindshare/marketshare with white & Hispanics, such integration would work in their favor.

but it seems to me that smaller brands that are focused on black consumers and aren't part of larger conglomerates (many of the crappy brands in the ethnic aisle are owned by the l'oreals of the world) would suffer from having to compete for shelf space in an integrated aisle. it would reverse the gains seen in stores like target, which have dedicated aisles with a range of small brands. I don't see alikay naturals being able to win shelf space that L'Oreal wants.

Is this about breaking the walls for us or breaking the walls for "them"? Let's be honest. It's seldom ever about us.

Not mad though, do what you got to do and get money! Even if it means "breaking the walls" by exploiting a non-issue to capitalize off them over there..

I have to admit I do :giggle: to myself when I see one of them timidly walk over to look at products in our 'segregated' section... I'm certain they wouldn't know SheaMoisture was an ethnic product if it wasn't on the dark side lol

Is this about breaking the walls for us or breaking the walls for "them"? Let's be honest. It's seldom ever about us.

Not mad though, do what you got to do and get money! Even if it means "breaking the walls" by exploiting a non-issue to capitalize off them over there..

I have to admit I do :giggle: to myself when I see one of them timidly walk over to look at products in our 'segregated' section... I'm certain they wouldn't know SheaMoisture was an ethnic product if it wasn't on the dark side lol

All of this. And I've only lived in places with a small section, never an aisle, so I understand.

I've never liked
t̸̛̝͓̜͍̆̾̉̄͜͢͜͞͞h̴̛̬̝̱̞͔͗̐̈́̋̑͛͢e̵̻͓͙̻͕̽̍̓̀̓̇̐͘ a̠̜̙̖͔͔͑̓͌̀͂̊̾̓ǐ̷̛̘͈͔̭͇͔̮̽̌̊͢͞s̡̰̻̝͈͓̰̯͆̿̋͒̾̚ĺ̷͎̦̜̗̼̬͔͈̀̏̄̉̑̅͊̿͜͝e̮̲̩̬̖̓̄̐̐̊̀
There was always someone watching that aisle and ignoring all the thefts in the regular aisle. I hated going into stores and asking where the hair care products were and then be directed to some janky section because they thought that I needed a super industrial type of creature shampoo or something. We use the same stuff as anybody else and then more. Then what does being separated out do psychologically and subconsciously to people? You're most likely not right up front in the VIP section...you're in the "watch these things" section, "they steal...all of them..they don't know any better." Or how about being put in the heavily tv monitored area way in the back like Sally's used to do and every time you perused that section, you were met with overly zealous associates asking you if you were finding (stealing) everything each 3 minutes until you left the store? Now they replaced that aisle to within viewing range down by the cashiers. It's still separated out like people who use certain things aren't smart enough to be able to pick them out if they were integrated on the same shelves as everything else. You mean to say that GVP doesn't have hair cream nor deep conditioners? Flat-ironing serums don't exist for "white" hair? Back-of-bus "you people" sections in 2016. Really?

The reason they put you in the back of the flyer is because they think you're used to being segregated and like it and won't protest it. Why not put the Blacks up front in the flyer? No, back-of-the-bus positioning. Cater to the important people first. How about integrating all the products by type? Are Blacks allowed to actually PERUSE a flyer and the store aisles without being steering to quick purchases and then be ushered to the registers so we don't inconvenience the associates who have to protect their profit from thieving n***** which is all of us? SMH. Shea Moisture is in the right on this one.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering what the unintended consequences of this will be for smaller black- owned companies. as we know, segregation has its benefits.

shea moisture has a vested interest in integration to increase its crossover exposure and sales. as a large company with established distribution channel, that has growing mindshare/marketshare with white & Hispanics, such integration would work in their favor.

but it seems to me that smaller brands that are focused on black consumers and aren't part of larger conglomerates (many of the crappy brands in the ethnic aisle are owned by the l'oreals of the world) would suffer from having to compete for shelf space in an integrated aisle. it would reverse the gains seen in stores like target, which have dedicated aisles with a range of small brands. I don't see alikay naturals being able to win shelf space that L'Oreal wants.

I agree.

It wasn't an issue when Shea moisture was getting started in the game but now they have 100 new product lines they need more people to sell to. Unintended consequences also works the other way. Desegregate the shelves and people may stop buying your 'black' products and start buying the 'white' products next to it that they ignored before.

Last edited:
the vocal fry is insane.
I actually commented above before watching the video, and was more taken aback when I did. good to know it wasn't just me. the brand voice at the very end sounds white (or white affectated) to me.

nothing in advertising is by happenstance. I could dissect further but there are other cues that signal this ad/"movement" is targeted at ww/non-bw as much or more than it's supposedly targeted at us (eg the subtext of the ww with blond kinky hair child that we only see for a few seconds. "white mom, do you really want kai, your precious mixed child, to have to venture over to the "ethnic" aisle? do you? won't somebody please think of all the mixeded children?!")

let's see if this ends up being carols daughter 2.0

I didn't realize going to the "black" isle was such an issue for folks. Is there some sort of labyrinth in certain stores that prohibit us from finding products for our hair or is the symbolism of being segregated. It would be different if the segregation resulted in higher prices or inability to find what I need, it doesn't. I mean I like being able to go to one area and scan the entire "ethnic' offerings...

Dunno, in this instance I see this as much ado about nothing.

ETA: Thinking about it more...even though there are black faces on the ad, what this is really about is further marketing Shea Moisture to the masses so that "others" can find them easier w/o the discomfort of having to go down the black isle.

The Target I frequent (which happens to be in a very white area) has a decent sized section dedicated to curly/"ethnic" hair products . They have the higher end stuff such as KCCC. It's not an isle, just a portion of the hair isle or isles. I don't think there is anything offensive about it. Definitely seems as if it would make it easier to find these items.

Like where would you put something like KCCC? Next to the Dep gel? :lol:

I didn't realize going to the "black" isle was such an issue for folks. Is there some sort of labyrinth in certain stores that prohibit us from finding products for our hair or is the symbolism of being segregated. It would be different if the segregation resulted in higher prices or inability to find what I need, it doesn't. I mean I like being able to go to one area and scan the entire "ethnic' offerings...

Dunno, in this instance I see this as much ado about nothing.

ETA: Thinking about it more...even though there are black faces on the ad, what this is really about is further marketing Shea Moisture to the masses so that "others" can find them easier w/o the discomfort of having to go down the black isle.

That's what it's most likely about :yep:

Rhhr8D5mKSX7O.gif

I didn't realize going to the "black" isle was such an issue for folks.

Yeah... I understand that it is an issue for some people but if there are hair care products of any kind to be had/bought somewhere I'm in that isle - I don't care who it's meant for anymore. I did for a short period of time but I got over that real quick when my wallet stayed having moths flying out of it without healthy hair to justify it... If I like the ingredients it's getting my money. If it works for me and it's reasonably priced it's getting more of my money :lol: I don't see too many independent white women (meaning w/o a mixed kid or someone other than white with them) in the "ethnic" isle too often but I stay up in "their" isle and through hearing conversations/talking with them we all have the same problem: we don't know what to buy, there's so much stuff and why isn't this ish on sale :lol:

I spoke to a Shea moisture rep in person about how people think Shea moisture is selling out and white washing their product (sea salt spray anyone?) and of the things she said she kept repeating " Shea moisture is not made for black hair only". Take what you may from that...

The second bolded was made clear by the first bolded. I'm glad you realized that but apparently she didn't understand the question or she was trying to be pc :lol:

I'm just going to copy my response from another thread

This initiative has the potential to backfire. The removal of the ethnic aisle could result in less shelf space being designated for our products. The entire aisle/section that was once dedicated to ethnic products will turn into 5 - 10 spots being filled in by one or two of the most visible brands. The former ethnic hair care aisle space will be designated for some other type of merchandise. History has shown when our niche markets are absorbed into larger markets the result is more availability but LESS variety. So instead of walking into Target and being able to purchase Oyin, Karen's Body Beautiful, Camille Rose, Taliah Wajiid, Jane Carter, Curls, Kinky Curly, etc, you will only be able to find Shea Moisture and As I Am because retailers are not going to allow ethic products to take over an integrated hair care aisle.

I still maintain it's the Mitt Romney/Bain Capital way of mass marketing, over saturation of products etc....as we discussed in another SM thread not too long ago.

Make the money up front through this oversaturation, reformulated products etc......at some point this strategy won't be able to sustain itself. At least for us.

It's a shame. I'm perfectly 'comfortable' with who I am as a black women and I have no qualms going to the "Ethnic Aisle" where everything is readily available in one area. You can walk up grab what you want and get out.

I agree with other posters, I think this is to make it comfortable for white women to buy products for their bi-racial kids without being relegated to the Ethic Aisle.

I hope Camille Rose, Karen's, Oyin, etc....are fine with being where they are and have no desire to follow down this path.

I still maintain it's the Mitt Romney/Bain Capital way of mass marketing, over saturation of products etc....as we discussed in another SM thread not too long ago.

I completely forgot about Mitt Romney. I remember that thread where people were like "Mitt Romney is not trying to change our conditioner :lol: " Things that make you go hmmmm....

Also, I noticed some Shea Moisture hair and body products in the general isle at CVS last year sometime but they had other formulations from the hair line in only the ethnic area... I wish I could remember which ones were separated but I saw it posted here before where there was a sale on some Shea Moisture hair products but not the ones in the "ethnic" part of the pharmacy.

Back