Shea butter

Dolapo

I want to get some shea butter but i dont know what type to buy. Should it be refined, unrefined? what website has the best and most affordable type? thanks

My hair likes both refined & unrefined. I have been buying 'Now' brand shea butter from my local health food store .

I was using refined shea butter until I discovered the unrefined in an African grocery store near my home. My hair loves the unrefined so much I just use what's left of my refined shea butter on my body.

mscounselor said:
What is the average cost from ordering online including S & H?

ive been doing some researching on the price all day. I was able to get 1lb for 12.90 on ebay. its actually 7.95 with 4.95 for shipping. but i checked out todieforsoap.com and its the cheapest so far. Unrefined shea butter.....1lb is 5 dollars with 5.99 for shipping making it 10.99. Thanks a lot everyone for your replies :D

Thanks for posting this topic Dolapo. I was wondering which to buy.
I just bought some of the unrefined Shea Butter from todieforsoap.com. Can't wait to get it. :)
lisajames96 :cool:

I notice yall talk about shea butter a whole lot. What exactly does it do for your hair? Is it good to used on relaxed 4a/4b hair?

Amina said:
I notice yall talk about shea butter a whole lot. What exactly does it do for your hair? Is it good to used on relaxed 4a/4b hair?

Depends on how fine or thick your hair is. I mainly use it on my ends to lubricate my ends.

I have 4/a relaxed hair, that is kinda thin and I use it on all my hair. Sometimes when I airdry I put it on my ng and my ends and tie my hair down and it always dryes smooth soft and not weighed down at all.

Diane71 said:
I ordered my shea butter by the bulk from http://africansheabuttercompany.com and it does nothing to my hair except dry it out and make it tangled. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but as of now, I don't like shea butter...at least for my hair. On my skin it feels like buttah!

The site listed Refined and Virgin--which one did you purchase?

Here is another site:

http://www.health2go.com

I've never ordered from them but I will be soon. I prefer unrefined, but they sell three types. Unrefined, refined, and a cosmetic grade, which is refined shea butter whipped with shea oil. A pound of unrefined shea butter is $8.34. HTH!

I ordered some Shea butter (and black soap) from www.nasabb.com over a week ago and can't wait for it to arrive! This will be my 1st time trying 100% shea butter so I hope it's just what my hair needs.

Mestiza said:
Maybe, it's called a (hand) mixer. IDK for sure! :lol:

I melted my shea butter & then used 2 pyrex bowls for the whipping. The melted shea sat in a small bowl with a larger bowl that had ice & water underneath. I then whipped with the hand mixer. Just don't let the melted shea get too cold. HTH

My hair only likes the unrefined stinky type :lol: I mix it with crisco (melt it all up) and use it as a pretreatment. It protects my hair from the evil harsh effects of shampoo. sometimes I get sneaky and throw some in my conditioner. HTH

MeccaMedinah said:
I melted my shea butter & then used 2 pyrex bowls for the whipping. The melted shea sat in a small bowl with a larger bowl that had ice & water underneath. I then whipped with the hand mixer. Just don't let the melted shea get too cold. HTH

Thanks for sharing that w/ us! :wink2: I need to buy a mixer. I've got to make myself some whipped shea butter. :yep:

anky said:
My hair only likes the unrefined stinky type :lol: I mix it with crisco (melt it all up) and use it as a pretreatment. It protects my hair from the evil harsh effects of shampoo. sometimes I get sneaky and throw some in my conditioner. HTH

I've only tried the unrefined shea butter. When I first opened it, I thought that it smelled like an old, moldy attic. :lol:

Speaking of Crisco, I know a lady who has used it on her face since I was a little girl. She looks as though she hasn't aged one bit and has the most gorgeous bronzed looking skin. :love: My cousin used to make cracks about her using it to her children, which I didn't find funny, at all. :nono: Well, she got the last laugh b/c she looks great!

Sweetyb said:
I ordered some Shea butter (and black soap) from www.nasabb.com over a week ago and can't wait for it to arrive! This will be my 1st time trying 100% shea butter so I hope it's just what my hair needs.

Just to let you know I was told that the shea butter from nasabb.com apparently is mixed with palm oil; that's according to the African vendor (from Harlem) that I have purchased shea butter from in the past. I showed him the sample size I had, only because I was wondering why it smelled different from his unrefined. As soon as he looked at it and took a whiff he recognized that it had been mixed. He claims some sellers do this so they can make more batches. I guess if I hadn't used another shea butter previously, I wouldn't have known any better. Overall, I would say the nasabb shea wasn't bad for my hair though.

Sweetyb said:

Just to let you know I was told that the shea butter from nasabb.com apparently is mixed with palm oil; that's according to the African vendor (from Harlem) that I have purchased shea butter from in the past. I showed him the sample size I had, only because I was wondering why it smelled different from his unrefined. As soon as he looked at it and took a whiff he recognized that it had been mixed. He claims some sellers do this so they can make more batches. I guess if I hadn't used another shea butter previously, I wouldn't have known any better. Overall, I would say the nasabb shea wasn't bad for my hair though.

Do you have an African market/Afro-centric market, or neighborhood in your town. You can always go there and pick some up from your local vendor. They sell the unrefined, which is yellow!
Its the only thing my mother uses on her body and her skin is shiny.

Back