Shea Butter Mixture with cocunut/olive oil/vitamin e --does this moisturize or seal??

Victoria44

I've heard that shea butter is great to seal in moisture, but i've also heard a lot of people use it to moisturize their hair. I have a well whipped mixture of shea butter EVO EVCO and vitamin E. and it has the texture of an extremely thick cream. Please help me to understand if i should continue to use this as a sealant, or would it be better used as a moisturizing lotion.

BTW: i've been transitionig for a year 4a/4b

Re: Shea Butter Mixture with cocunut/olive oil/vitamin e --does this moisturize or se

From what I remember, shea butter is a fat. Fats and oils absorb better into the hair than your average moisturizer since they have the ability to penetrate the inner layers of the hair strand. When I would use (I was Relaxed) shea butter, I would still use a moisturizer. My hair was pretty soft and my ends never broke off.

I'm a 4a/b girl myself :)

Last edited:
Re: Shea Butter Mixture with cocunut/olive oil/vitamin e --does this moisturize or se

From what I remember, shea butter is a fat. Fats and oils absorb better into the hair than your average moisturizer since they have the ability to penetrate the inner layers of the hair strand. When I would use (I was Relaxed) shea butter, I would still use a moisturizer. My hair was pretty soft and my ends never broke off.

i usually use oils as a sealant because they coat the strand, locking in the moisture. I also have a seperate moisturizing lotion that i use before the oil. So would it be best to use the shea butter before or after the moisturizing lotion??

Before. Moisturize first and then apply the shea butter.

Even though the coconut and the shea can penetrate the hair shaft I think they are only providing nourishment not moisture. I would still use a water based moisturizer.

As I understand it, a product has to either have water in it, or cause water to be drawn into the hair (a humectant) to be considered a moisturizer. Ultimately, you'll have to experiment on your own hair to determine how you should use it. Sounds like an awesome mix though! Probably best used on wet hair to seal in moisture.

Back