She Said she dont even own shampoo- lol

I didn't own my own shampoo until this year

What was the condition of your co-worker's hair?

Her hair is not in bad shape. She was just past shoulder length and recently she said she got a corrective relaxer and trim so its back to shoulder length and looks thinner after the corrective. But usually it kinda looks weighed down with oils.

Oh, well going to salon so often it should at least look decent. Being a salon girl was a pain..... way too costly.. and they always had their stuff in mysterious bottles

:lol: I was once that "salon girl", every two weeks when I had relaxed hair. Now, I'm a big DIY hair advocate :grin:

...but at least I did OWN a bottle of shampoo, dang!

I second this! This was me. A salon girl that couldn't/wouldn't do much with my hair besides wrapping it. I was totally dependent on my hair dresser. Boy it sure feels good to be free!:thumbsup:

Back in the day my bottles of conditioner and shampoo would last me MONTHS
I was a salon girl and couldn't be bothered. Now I go like 1 - 2x a year if that.

I used to be the two week washer....but that's only bc my mom said i shouldn't wash it more than that....and i listened...even though i wanted to wash it more....and then i started to.

Long Story Short.....i found this site and now i can wash my hair 2-3 times a week(mostly co-washes though)...and i LOVE it!!!

I used to be the two week washer....but that's only bc my mom said i shouldn't wash it more than that....and i listened...even though i wanted to wash it more....and then i started to.

Long Story Short.....i found this site and now i can wash my hair 2-3 times a week(mostly co-washes though)...and i LOVE it!!!

My mother was the same way. After I started taking care of my own hair I started cowashing. She thought I was crazy. Then I found this site and realized I wasn't the only person doing this.

Wow. You ladies on this site make me feel like either a DIY expert or an alien.

I have always washed and styled my hair regularly. I always knew how to blow dry, curling iron, moisturize, roller set, etc. The only time I went to the salon was to get a relaxer. And my aunt, my mom, and myself could put in a relaxer so most times I got the relaxer at home.

I have never been a 'salon girl' and can't comprehend paying somebody every 1-2 weeks just to wash and style my hair even though as an adult I can definitely afford it.

Heck some of the stylist I have been to have asked me what I do to my hair because they said I had a nice head of hair. I always used to think that was a strange compliment. Now I know why they asked.

Lawwwd you ladies grew up quite priviledged.

I second this! This was me. A salon girl that couldn't/wouldn't do much with my hair besides wrapping it. I was totally dependent on my hair dresser. Boy it sure feels good to be free!:thumbsup:

it sure does feel good to be free from the salon, saving money time and hair!!

Last edited:
Ok so what is the monthly bill for someone who goes to the salon once a week? Dang!

I remember when I would go to a salon, it would only be for a relaxer every 7-8 weeks and whenever I could scrape up the money.

Ok so what is the monthly bill for someone who goes to the salon once a week? Dang!

I remember when I would go to a salon, it would only be for a relaxer every 7-8 weeks and whenever I could scrape up the money.
My classmate was spending $120 a month!!! :wallbash: She had a Halle Berry cut. And that was with her doing her own relaxer so she was only getting her hair washed and styled. The whole class whistled out loud.

The sad and funny part is that what she did for free looks better than what she $$$$$$$$$ for at the salon. I just hope she NEVER had a problem at the salon because she would not know what to do herself to her OWN hair.:rolleyes:

Wow. You ladies on this site make me feel like either a DIY expert or an alien.

I have always washed and styled my hair regularly. I always knew how to blow dry, curling iron, moisturize, roller set, etc. The only time I went to the salon was to get a relaxer. And my aunt, my mom, and myself could put in a relaxer so most times I got the relaxer at home.

I have never been a 'salon girl' and can't comprehend paying somebody every 1-2 weeks just to wash and style my hair even though as an adult I can definitely afford it.

Heck some of the stylist I have been to have asked me what I do to my hair because they said I had a nice head of hair. I always used to think that was a strange compliment. Now I know why they asked.

Lawwwd you ladies grew up quite priviledged.
Same here. I only went to the salon 3-4 times a year for touch-ups. Between visits, I would wash and roller set my hair twice a week faithfully.

and that woman was also thinking...

WHY do you only wash your hair every 2 weeks? doesnt it get DIRTY before then??

I bet to save money, imagine getting my hair wash & set with deep condition every week.. would cost $80 a month not including relaxers she probably does every 4-8 weeks. OMG I'm now really ashamed I was a salon girl.. oh for so many years... lets hope someone shows her the light

Did not realize that being a "salon girl" was that uncommon until I joined the boards. I was going to the salon every two weeks for a wash and set. I never had any problems. My hair was always healthy and has been between SL and BSL. I only started taking care of my hair on my own this year. I did own shampoo/conditioner though for those days where I did not feel like going to the salon and just wanted to do a braid out.

Back