She doesn't use shampoo, conditioner, or any other hair products

PlainJane

Hi everyone!
I recently came across a blogger that doesn't use shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioners, or any traditional hair products on her natural hair. She does use henna though. This is her regimen:

Cleanse: Herbal Infused Apple Cider Vinegar

Condition: DIY Conditioner with Banana

Leave-in: Organic Grape Seed Oil or Organic Hemp Seed Oil

It seems like I read about more and more women that are going the natural route to care for their hair. She goes into more detail here

Does anyone else have a similar regimen? What natural products have replaced shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizers?

I've attached a few pictures. She is beautiful and so is her hair!

ETA: This is where I found her regimen.

Attachments

• 11-3-13-minimalist-beauty.com_-1024x771.jpg
    11-3-13-minimalist-beauty.com_-1024x771.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 295
  • 2-15-13-3-minimalistbeauty.com_-960x1024.jpg
    2-15-13-3-minimalistbeauty.com_-960x1024.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Her hair is beautiful, but no amount of herb infused concoction is going to make my hair curl nicely like this unless it's in my genes. This is my opinion.

Seems legit........I've gone no poo or con on and off over the years and it was fine for me.....honestly I wish to be there one day but I'm addicted to buying products

There is a lady on yt called I think wateronlyhairwash that also doesn't use poos or cons.....and her hair is gorgeous as well

Eta: from the article you posted she also uses flaxseed gel

Last edited:
She's not completely product free, just uses natural stuff. Lots of people use ACV for cleansing and use oils/butters as leave ins.

She's not completely product free, just uses natural stuff. Lots of people use ACV for cleansing and use oils/butters as leave ins.

I follow her and I like her natural approach but she uses natural products which IMO give more consistent results than store bought products.

I tried the oil only thing when I was natural and my tangles wasn't having it no matter what. This may be a bit non PC but she has the type of hair that could live on less.

I feel like many women on here will tell you simple natural regimes work for them relaxed or natural.

These says i use a clay based shampoo, yogurt to dc, grape seed oil to seal, flax seed gel to style and Darcy's leave in. Easy is best!

Whoops! I should have clarified. I meant she doesn't use products that are marketed for hair.

This is confirmation of what most of us know; technique, not products, make hair retention flourish. It's great that this works for her and many others.

I love trying different things. Not for growth or some magic miracle, but just because. :yep:

I feel like many women on here will tell you simple natural regimes work for them relaxed or natural.

These says i use a clay based shampoo, yogurt to dc, grape seed oil to seal, flax seed gel to style and Darcy's leave in. Easy is best!

I hope some of them will chime in. I'm very interested to learn more about using natural methods to cleanse and condition my hair since it seems easier and more affordable. Do you use store bought yogurt to dc or is the yogurt mixed with something else?

Her hair would be just as gorgeous even if she used store-bought products...beautiful hair is beautiful hair regardless of what we put (or not) on it.

I can't help but wonder if folks who use nontraditional products on their hair also use nontraditional stuff on their body? Does she bathe with ACV? What does she use as deodorant? Any lotion? It honestly seems a little silly to me. Shampoo is to hair (and scalp) what soap/body wash/hand wash is to our body. Condish/leave-ins are to the hair what body lotion is to the body. Why refuse it in one area and accept it in another? :confused:

Amarilles

you pose a great question... but I think ppl do these things in steps and it doesn't happen overnight. products that are all natural or primarily natural work wonderfully for me and I truly wanted to expose body to less chemicals. today i eat a plant based diet and about 75-80% of what i use is natural including body care & cleaning products. trying as much as i can to do this with makeup too, if its not 100% its ok. i had already delved into this process when i was relaxed/transitioning.

My hair care routine is similar. i shampoo with a capful of acv in a large tub of water . i condition my hair in castor oil mixed with grapeseed oil. sometimes the oil is heated but its been a while since i did that. Sometimes i rinse oils out for a light coating or i keep the oils in...depends on mood. been doing this for moooooooooonths. apl fine 4b hair. have to go natural route. my scalp and skin seem sensitive to everything. Natural products equal skin relief.

Also do tea rinses...i just love the refreshing scent the tea leaves on my hair.i don't notice any health. benefits but it is still nice.

i use oil as my body lotion. use natural soap for my body. use homemade toothpaste of de and calcium powder. no mouth wash...just a tongue scraper. to freshmen breath. crystal stone for under arms with cornstarch to absorb sweat.

Last edited:
Her hair would be just as gorgeous even if she used store-bought products...beautiful hair is beautiful hair regardless of what we put (or not) on it.

I can't help but wonder if folks who use nontraditional products on their hair also use nontraditional stuff on their body? Does she bathe with ACV? What does she use as deodorant? Any lotion? It honestly seems a little silly to me. Shampoo is to hair (and scalp) what soap/body wash/hand wash is to our body. Condish/leave-ins are to the hair what body lotion is to the body. Why refuse it in one area and accept it in another? :confused:

She (Dawn Michelle) wrote a series on her blog where she outlined what she uses on her body and her face in addition to her hair. She did not write about bathing in ACV, but she did write about not disturbing the acid mantle of the skin with traditional (even natural soaps). Apparently she uses rhassoul clay, oatmeal, and oils on her skin to avoid soaps. Her approach obviously wouldn't be everyone's choice, (I follow her blog and love my soaps and hair conditioners) but for her it seems to work.

I originally found her blog because I was looking for other Black minimalists, but I stayed for suggestions of companies that provide all natural products. The fact that she has such gorgeous hair also piqued my interest. :)

I hope some of them will chime in. I'm very interested to learn more about using natural methods to cleanse and condition my hair since it seems easier and more affordable. Do you use store bought yogurt to dc or is the yogurt mixed with something else?

Here is some info about my yogurt dc. It is the same expect I deleted the tea. The yogurt I just get at the grocery store. I used it with or without cassia. I have tried lots of products, but nothing has done better than oil, yogurt and flax seed gel

http://wp.me/p3yCFR-1m

I believe it. I had my healthiest hair when I did banana DC's and henna and yogurt DC's. I did while relaxed as well. Buttermilk and yogurt were my holy grains and they really worked. The issue was washing and moisturizing though. That was something i needed to experiment with further but I could see it working with the right combination.

My hair reacts violently to shampoos. I've been doing the "no poo" method for almost 2 years now, and my hair absolutely loves it. When it comes down to it, you gotta do what works best for you.

Vinegar, banana and oil. I don't know about that for my hair...
I love the smell of freshly washed hair (with shampoo and/or conditioner).

I could see it working. Hair really doesn't need much to thrive. I just love my products too much to ever do this.

Dude! thank you for this website. I am absolutely loving it... I won't stop using my wonderfully smelling conditioners though. :-D

Back