sharing my sister's growth: NL to APL in 10 months

lilsparkle825

I know that I should know, but I have no idea whether this is normal. I think it equates to 6 inches in 10 months, which isn't TOO far from normal I guess. Anyway, just her personal growth story:

My sister has really thick 4b hair. When she was younger (she turned 14 last month), my aunts convinced my mom that the only way to POSSIBLY deal with it was to get a relaxer. Long story short, it broke her hair off to shorter than ear length very quickly, and she had two large bald spots in the back of her head. When she turned 12, she told them she wasn't getting relaxers anymore, point blank :look: and told my mom all she wanted was cornrows, so that's what she got for about a year or so. About the time I went natural, I cut off her relaxed ends and learned how to do styles other than my cousin's cornrows, since sometimes she couldn't be bothered to do my sister's hair and she would have the same cornrows for a month at a time. (Besides, me and my mom couldn't cornrow to save our lives!)

I took the first picture last summer when I learned how to yarn twist, then from there I took up kinky twists. After that came box braids, then senegalese twists, and yesterday I used the videos from this thread to put in micros and a partial sew-in. BONUS...I learned how to cornrow! I just wanted to share her growth because she is over the moon. I wish I got a pic of her shrinkage, because it is RIDICULOUS...hopefully I can get pics of the finished style next time I go home. She's my height, 5'5", so I can't even attribute it to her being short.

Man, all of this from LHCF. Just goes to show you anyone's hair will grow, even when their whole family is convinced that it is genetically impossible.

LOMcomp-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Thats some crazy growth. I need that kind of growth for my wedding next year. Tryna grow out my swoop bangs which are currently at my cheeks to my chin. Seeing your post is inspirational again.

Thanks for sharing! That's great!

Where did you learn how to do box braids, kinky twists, etc...? TIA :)

Last edited:
Wow I love hearing stories like that, well done to your sister and to you who helped her along the way. :)

Thanks for sharing! That's great!

Where did you learn how to do box braids, kinky twists, etc...? TIA :)
Fotki and YouTube. I got the motivation from LHCF though. honesty (in my fotki friends' list) has a great yarn twist tutorial, and that is where i started...then i decided to move to kinky twists since they last longer (the yarn twists gave me 3-4 weeks, the kinky twists 6 or so). I learned how to secure them on YT (lyndaespratley is her name, I think) and tried 2 or 3...then finished her head. Then I did my own set. After that I decided box braids were essentially the same technique, except braiding instead of twisting, so I would try it, and senegalese twists are like the kinky twists except with different hair. I already posted the link for the micros/sew-in.
Wow great job. Where would we be if we all start learning LHCF good hair practices at 14.
:yep: Then again, she is a willing student, and it's probably only because she went through all that crap with the breakage etc. and people telling her all that bad hair nonsense. Now her hair is longer than theirs. The upkeep is all her too, because I am 2 hours away at school. I taught her how to moisturize, seal, tie her hair up, what to mix to make a good DC, and all that stuff, and once we took out that first set of kinky twists and she saw that her hair was in fact growing, it was a wrap! I always get these crazy texts from her..."When are you coming to redo my hair?" "I need some more Hawaiian Silky!" "We're out of Lustrasilk/Kenra/xyz"...

It would have helped if you measured the same area of her hair. Those that you measured are on opposite sides of her head.

You are a TERRIFIC sister! This is probably one of the most feel good posts I've read here. I wish I had a sister to do the same with...although, I have a feeling that once I hit my BSL goals that I will have an army of my female cousins asking me to help them the way you did your sis. Great job!!!

Wow!!! That is super and she is blessed to have a caring sis like you. Her hair is beautiful. Does she plan on wearing it out w/o extensions?

Wow!!! That is super and she is blessed to have a caring sis like you. Her hair is beautiful. Does she plan on wearing it out w/o extensions?
She has worn it in two-strand twists and twistouts a few times, and the in-between days (for example if she takes the extensions out on a Wednesday and I don't get around to rebraiding it till Sunday) she will rock a braidout. I think now that her hair is longer she will experiment with that even more this summer.
Wow! That's amazing growth. You are such a wonderful big sister!!
Thank you! You're her hair idol. :giggle: She loves your fotki.

Back