Share your method of DC'ing while IN braids..

genesis132

I'm currently in braids (almost two weeks) and plan to stay in them for at least six months. I'm very familiar with the C&G method..but is it possible to Deep
Condition while in braids? Have you done this successfully and didn't suffer from any matting when taking your braids out? Also, what did you deep condition with?
I haven't dc'd yet b/c I want to make sure I'm not going to have any problems. Please share your experience good or bad.

TIA!!

Well I do follow the C&G method and I use her afro detangler and it works great and keeps my hair for becoming tangle washing, and taking down my cornrows . And I'm using this olive oil dc and I love it also use what ever the budget allows. And I deep condition once a week with a heating cap for about 15-45 min with a plastic cap and rise out. I hope that helps

I DC with Emergencee or GPB if seeking a strengthening treatment, or with any moisturizing conditioner (Elucence, NTM Mask, Humectress...to name a few). I simply apply a little at a time to fingers and smooth it from about an inch above the base to the ends of the braids, taking a few braids at a time and then plait them to get them out of the way. I do the same with all the other braids. When all are covered w/ conditioner, I put on a plastic cap letting the braids hang downward so condition doesn't drip towards the scalp where I feel it does no good. I prefer it drip towards the ends. I then go under a dryer for 20-30 minutes.

A good rinse follows under the shower for about 3-5 mins during which time I squeeze the braids well till the water stops frothing from the conditioner. If I used Emergencee to DC, I usually shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo like Therappe and then apply a moisturizing conditioner and might DC with heat or just wear a cap while I shower.

After I rinse off the moisturizing conditioner, I usually dunk my head in a solution of ACV, water, EOs of lavender and rosemary and liquid sage and massage my scalp while letting my hair just soak up the goodness of the solution. This helps remove any condish residue that might be in my scalp.

I don't use any products on my braids or scalp after a wash so build-up is never a concern for me. I try to DC once a week but definitely once a fortnight. Never had a problem with it.

Well I do follow the C&G method and I use her afro detangler and it works great and keeps my hair for becoming tangle washing, and taking down my cornrows . And I'm using this olive oil dc and I love it also use what ever the budget allows. And I deep condition once a week with a heating cap for about 15-45 min with a plastic cap and rise out. I hope that helps

OH..I actually have the bottle of this. I luv luv luv it! I think I'm going to DC my braids under the dryer once a week. Possibly rotating a moisturizing dc with a protein DC each week. Thanks for responding..

I DC with Emergencee or GPB if seeking a strengthening treatment, or with any moisturizing conditioner (Elucence, NTM Mask, Humectress...to name a few). I simply apply a little at a time to fingers and smooth it from about an inch above the base to the ends of the braids, taking a few braids at a time and then plait them to get them out of the way. I do the same with all the other braids. When all are covered w/ conditioner, I put on a plastic cap letting the braids hang downward so condition doesn't drip towards the scalp where I feel it does no good. I prefer it drip towards the ends. I then go under a dryer for 20-30 minutes.

A good rinse follows under the shower for about 3-5 mins during which time I squeeze the braids well till the water stops frothing from the conditioner. If I used Emergencee to DC, I usually shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo like Therappe and then apply a moisturizing conditioner and might DC with heat or just wear a cap while I shower.

After I rinse off the moisturizing conditioner, I usually dunk my head in a solution of ACV, water, EOs of lavender and rosemary and liquid sage and massage my scalp while letting my hair just soak up the goodness of the solution. This helps remove any condish residue that might be in my scalp.

I don't use any products on my braids or scalp after a wash so build-up is never a concern for me. I try to DC once a week but definitely once a fortnight. Never had a problem with it.

I guess the trick is to make sure the conditioner is rinsed thoroughly out of my braids...i terrified of taking my braids out and having terrible matting...but most ladies who responded haven't had any problems deep conditioning while in braids..so I think I should be good... Thanks for posting your experience.

Back