Shampoo with Sodium Laureth Sulfate

soslychic

I'm looking for a shampoo that contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate as the detergent since it's not one of the harsh ones. And no balsam. Does anyone have any suggesions.

Sodium LAURYL sulfate is harsh. Sodium LAURETH sulfate is not.

Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate - very harsh
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate- harsh
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) - still rather harsh
Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) - mild, great choice
TEA Lauryl Sulfate & TEA Laureth Sulfate- both are good choices

There are plenty - Aubreys, Giovanni products I think, Castille Soap which some people use as shampoo, Mastey.......but only a few lather at all (if that matters to you) and few clean well (also a matter of preference)....

I currently use the OLD formula of Lanza PP which has none of those things in it, but I use it because I like it. Not because of the lack of SLS.

Nope, Sodium LAURETH sulfate is pretty mild. But I just discovered the Deep Brilliance Hydrating Shampoo which has both Sodium Lauryl & Sodium Laureth Sulfate in it and it is indeed a brilliant shampoo
smile.gif
I love it!

I read that coconut oil (which is the detergent for a lot of products that don't contain any of the detergents from the list) is very harsh and drying as well. This surprised me, but that's what it said.

SSC - I can testify first hand that in fact, this was true on my hair. My hair never felt good when I tried to use products with NONE of the above ingredients. I always needed one of them. My hair eother didnt' feel clean enough, or it was dry, brittle and dull after I used them. I experiemented for a long time trying to find one and then I just gave up.
frown.gif

Lanza is probably the only exception. And of course, they've discontinued the one without the ingredients. They now use SLS.

i am in love with the elasta qp's shampoo for relaxed hair. it is cleansing and detangling/moisturizing at the same time. plus it smells like yummy citrus fruit. and its cheap too.
you should try it. its a keeper for me. i like it better than con.

I don't know... I've read that both sodium laureth and lauryl sulfate are harsh... The one that is gentle is sodium myreth sulfate, well that's what I use anyway.

Shampoos are designed to cleanse the surface layer of the hair shaft. Many others use an alkaline-based surfactant (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) which can create two problems: 1) the molecules are small and therefore penetrate the hair shaft, depleting moisture and damaging the internal structure, and 2) the high alkaline range requires the addition of other ingredients which can irritate the scalp and leave your hair feeling dry and brittle. On the other hand, a larger molecular weight ingredient (Sodium Myreth Sulfate) which does not penetrate the hair shaft.

Penetration into the hair can deplete moisture and cause damage to the internal hair structure
sufactant_tn.jpg

Large molecular size preserves correct moisture balance while gently cleansing the cuticle layer.
molecule_tn.jpg

tee-hee! Sodium Myreth is definitely gentler than SLS & SLES, but I also know that the company that put out these diagrams have to promote their product and show why theirs is best
smile.gif

SLES is one of the milder surfactants. It's "harsher" than SMS, but it is not "harsh." (if that makes sense)

grin.gif
Well, I'll give it to 'em--they do have one of the best shampoos around. They also use the same diagram in the Elasta QP brochures since the same co. makes Elasta & Elasta poos are excellent too
smile.gif
--It was smart of them to use an ingredient that does give them a specific edge over their competitors
smile.gif

JenJen, I use the one-two punch of Pantene clarifying and CON too!

Breakthru shampoo has no SLS's but I'm not sure about balsam.

I just discovered that my beloved Joico K-Pak shampoo has sodium laureth sulfate. It is "pH-balanced" to 4.5-5.5 and has a variety of molecular weights and sizes (150-2500).

Whatever all that means.
wink.gif
All I know is that I LOVE IT!

I'm loving the Nature's Gate product line. Some of their shampoos have the Sodium Laureth Sulfate, and some, like their organics line doesn't have any of the harsh ingredients. You can find most of their stuff for really cheap at Vitacost.
smile.gif

I love my Nexxus Botanoil shampoo which Sodium Laureth Sulfate along with other good stuff, especially made for relaxed hair (such as biotin, L-cystine, lecithin, folic acid, avocado oil, etc.)

I find that the Elucence Moisture Benefits shampoo is MUCH LESS drying to my hair than the Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo.

Back